“SPG Platinum member review” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W South Beach

You added W South Beach to your Saves list
W South Beach
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2201 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #5 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Dover, MA
“SPG Platinum member review”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

Hello everyone! I'm a SPG Platinum member and stayed here in Feb using points. The W is a brand new Starwoods hotel on Miami beach. I thinks its around 21st and collins. Its walkable to Ocean Drive however at night if you're dressed up you would want to take cab.

We took a cab from the airport and its a flat fee (forgot what it is). Check in was a breeze and I was lucky enough the get upgraded to a cool corner room suite on the 10th floor. I have stayed at many Starwood properties and the room ranks prob. in the top 4 rooms that I have stayed in. It was a 2-bedroom 2 bath suite with direct views of the ocean. There was a balcony of the main bedroom and a huge wrap around balcony of the living room and second bedroom. It was 1500 SQ feet. Huge Huge. There was a full kitchen and 3 flat screen TV's.

My wife and I loved the room. It was chic spacious and had awesome views. There were chairs and a table outside on the balcony so you could relax enjoy drinks or a meal out there.

The hotel is very nice. Mr Chow's is located in the hotel although not part of it. You cannot charge the meal to the room. Mr. Chows was awesome great food, pretty awesome scene and excellent service. Would go back in a heart beat. We did have breakfast at the other rest in the W (forgot the name) and it was fine. We also ate by the pool on day for lunch. Food was fine but service was a bit lacking. The waitress seem to be a bit overwhelmed with tables.

The pool was fine and the beach also. You can get umbrellas etc at the beach. They are set up by the W staff.

Now being a W hotel one has to expect there to be a scene esp. in Miami and it was that. At night the place is a hot spot and gets very crowded at both the Living room bar in the hotel and the Wall the night club at the W. Be prepared to here music all night and when the bars let out you will hear people screaming trying to hail cabs. Our room was on the 10th floor and you could here music and people all night. This is not a complaint but part of the atmosphere. If you want dead quiet and no scene this hotel is not for you.

Now a couple of negatives which I already addressed with management on a seperate email.

1. The second bathroom had dried urine on the toilet. kind of nasty and I cleaned it myself. Management responded with en email apology and they would talk to housekeeping.
2. The shower in the second bath backed up with dirt and debris coming up from the drain. I called the front desk and maintanance arrived at my door very quickly. They fixed the problem.

Besides these two issues we we enjoyed our stay and loved the room. It was a bit noisy at night but it was not unexpected since the W right now is prob. one of the hotest hotels in Miami. Any questions please let me know and be sure check out my other reviews on SPG properites.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (564)
Naples, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2010

On my recent trip to Miami, I struggled with selecting a hotel since I like trying new properties, but in the end elected the W Hotel since I had previously stayed a few months ago and had a nice experience. Upon arrival, the check desk was exceptionally long and understaffed. I later learned there was a Film Festival in town. I am a Starwood member and was disappointed to find that there wasn't a priority check in area. At acheck in I was told my room would not be ready until close to 4pm, but I was welcome to store my luggage and lounge at the pool. Naturally, this presented a cumbersome task to pull out work materials as well as lounging clothing.

When I arrived at the pool, there was a waiting list 20 deep to get a lounge chair and in lieu of them telling me there are plenty of beach chairs, had to figure that out on my own. The beach service staff was exemplar - prompt and attentive. Around 3:50pm I received the call that my room was ready. I had overhead that the hotel had issues with keys not working which prompted me to be proactive to ask for additional keys and yes, two of the keys failed. My room was pretty much the same - clean, bright, nice deck and ambiance. The television movie service kept giving me a no signal message which was irritating, and the attendant who brought my bags neglected to follow up on any of my personal requests. We headed out for dinner and returned to head to the nightklcub Wall that is separately owned, yet on property. I wasn't pleased to learn that hotel guests may or may not get in, but the concierge assured me we shouldn't have an issue. NOT comforting and I'm too old to wait in a line to be "chosen" to be let in, regardless we still headed to Wall. AT 11pm it was still quiet, small and not what I expected. The staff was horribly inattentive which caused us to go to the bar to order our drinks. $40 for two cocktails included a built in tip - such crap. And the drink was small and predominately ice. When we sat at a booth, it had masked tab surrounding the seat - quite tacky and finally a server showed up only to have major attitude causing me to say, let's leave. The concierge staff was quite helpful and the Chris, the manager on duty did a great job responding to our concerns. We only stayed one night, bedding was lovely as always, products up to par and towels - 5/10. Tennis was fun in the hotel, but ridiculous that we couldn't start until 8am. On checkout day, we were not presented with a hotel bill, nor was told what time check out was when I registered. When we phoned the hotel to discuss checkout, the gal answering the phone told us we would be charged a full night since we were not out before 11am . She handled this terribly and caused us changing our plans to rush back to check out. Prior to checkout, I purchased a few items in the gift shop and asked that they make sure it appeared on the final bill, two days later I received a call stating I would receive a separate bill - more false promises. I plan to try other properties with better ratings on my next visit since the W was adequate at best.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2010

Just got back from my annual girls' trip at the W and MAN, I miss it already! I have stayed at W's in NY which was nice enough but this Miami version of the W is a spectacular oasis in an otherwise crazy town. Cathedral ceilings, marble everything and a free upgrade from our Oasis suite to the Sensational Suite made everything seem even better. Ahhhhhh our room was humongous with 2 large balconies and we so wanted to move in! The only thing that could top the visual and creature comforts was the service. We found the doormen to be so gracious and complimentary that after 4 days we felt like they were part of our group. Our concierge Tony might look tough but he was a sweetie who worked hard to help us out no matter what we needed. Shout out to Tony the concierge and Tony the Doorman! All in all everyone was great and the amenities were wonderful. I think we've been spoiled for anywhere else!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
NY, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

Our room was amazing. spotless, modern, comforatble and sexy! Bathroom was gorgeous. service was great, and so was the scene at the pool - we enjoyed our cocktails right at the bar poolside! I think this is the ideal spot for a couple looking to getaway for a couple nights of hot romace

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

the rooms were exceptionally dirty, the maids pushed all the dirt, grime, hair, etc. into all the corners. called an exceptional amount of times and requested 'room service' to clean our hotel room and failed to do so. all around the hotel has fallen apart, this hotel has too much business and can not keep up with it.. OBVIOUSLY! the décor of the hotel is great! the contemporary, white, and modern were thumbs up... other than that it was SO incredibly run down. i highly do NOT recommend this hotel to anyone who likes to have cleanliness on vacation. also SOOO $$$$$. decided to have breakfast one morning at the hotel (for three) the meal totaled out $99.00. the staff overall were pretty friendly, there was a problem with someone stealing out by the pool. a guest left her pool side bed and threw her towel on the chair to cover her phone and wallet but when came back both were gone. they had complained about it to the manager, but seemed nonchalant. later on the individual who had gotten the items stolen saw the items lying by the dumpsters. never like to bash on a hotel, just wanted to let you all know before you spend the money. hope this helps!

• Stayed June 2010
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

Innovative food, handcrafted cocktails, superb service, luxurious rooms.......everything South Beach used to be can be found at the W.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

The W South Beach is a fantastic hotel. The staff was amazing and the property is beautiful and very well designed. Everyone I dealt with was attentive and friendly and the amenities are through the roof. The rooms, staff, and design of the hotel are top notch. I will stay here every time I am Miami.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business