“Amazing stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W South Beach

Save Saved
You added W South Beach to your Saves list
W South Beach
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2201 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #16 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Huntington, New York
“Amazing stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

Stayed here one night, free with SPG points. Got in around 10am and did have to wait until after 2pm for our room to be ready. We were upgraded to an ocean view suite and it was unbelievable. Amazing pool area too and the beach is right by the pool. Only downside to this place is the pool area gets packed very early so come early as all the chairs and cabanas are taken very early in the morning.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
Ny, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

We chose the W at South Bech due to its location and due to the fact that their high end bungalow room included a private pool. We checked in in late Thursday night and found that the bungalows are situated right next to the pool. What they fail to tell you is that the pool becomes a club on Thursday and Saturday night. While the bungalow is pretty good at blocking out most sounds, the sounds of the bass from the D.J. kept us up until 3:00am.

The so-called private pool you get in the bungalow is the size of a small hot tub and has no temperature control. So when we even thought of venturing into the pool for a dip, the water was hotter than than the 87 degree air temp outside! We couldn't even use it once. What a waste!

We then woke up Friday morning to the sounds of drilling and sawing next door. You guessed it! We had the pleasure of having to listen to the the sounds of the bungalow next door being refurbished-complete with a table saw out back!

When I picked up my cell phone (with Verizon service)to make a call- I got no service. I tried to use my husband's phone (AT&T service), also no service. However, if I stepped outside I got complete service on both my lines--so to milk even more money and get you kick in an add'l $14.95 per day wifi fee or have to use the room phone- they clearly jam all cell phone signals.

Housekeeping came in while we were changing to clean our room. We asked her to come back later---she never did. The attendant who came to turn down our room was the one who made our bed and restocked our soaps. She even apologized for the lack of cleaning that had been done.

The night before I was scheduled to leave I went to print out my boarding pass. They even manage to milk more money from you there. There is a $7 fee to be on the internet for 15 minutes and another $2 fee to print anything.

Again, I understand all hotels try to get a few extra bucks from their guests, however, given that our room rate was already $1500/per night- all the "extras" were ridiculously petty and excessive.

The highlights of our stay here were:
1) the close proximity to the ocean - which you can get at any hotel on Collins Ave or Ocean Drive.
2) Solea - (the Spanish tapas restaurant within the hotel) great food and service.

WSouthBeach, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, June 10, 2010
We are sorry to hear about your issues with cell service. We understand the issue exists and are working with the providers that our guests use. Some are more quick to respond than others...but we are working on it.
Beverly Hills, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

We arrived at W south beach expecting a great vacation. We had a nice suit with a balcony and ocean view. However, we had one problem after the next. First Please note: THE WAY THIS HOTEL IS BUILT, THERE IS A WIND TUNNEL AROUND IT AND IT IS VERY WINDY AND COLD. The service was terrible. For example, housekeeping came to clean the room and left half way and did not return for hours. she also left the cleaning sponges on top of our baby's dishes. Also, the towels were torn. The bed sheets were stained when we arrived. Our room came with a kichenette. we asked for a sponge to wash our baby's dishes and they sent up a used sponge. On our second day, we went by the pool around 10 AM and we were told all the chairs were taken. There was no one on most of them, but apparently u can come down at 7 AM and leave a towel on a chair and that makes it your chair and not available to others who are actually present at the pool. The concierge was just dumb. We asked about activities to do with and she told us to "go see a movie." really????? we did not go to south beach to go to the movies. This was not our first time in south beach, but it was our first time at the W. The experience was so terrible, I don't think I will stay at ANY W hotel again. Please don't waste your money and stay somewhere where they care about their guests. Other than the service, the hotel was terrible in the it was 10 degrees colder than the rest of southbeach due to the wind tunnel. There is no cell phone reception ANYWHERE by any carrier in the hotel and you have to pay for wifi. we spent $860 per night on a room and did not even get free wi fi. The dining options were not great either. I can go on forever, but hopefully, you have the picture by now............

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010 via mobile

Imagine sitting on your patio and resting on comfy chairs, a view of the ocean, it just makes the Miami heat so enjoyable! Seriously, I thought paying $600 for a standard hotel room was a bit ridiculous at first, but let me just say it was worth it. Not only was the hotel absolutely gorgeous, the hotel staff was a pleasure to deal with. The complimentary Acura was wonderful, the concierge (Rick, in particular), the pool staff...everyone contributed to making our stay so great! If you called for anything, in our case, coffee, they were fast and then we would get a follow up call making sure we got what we needed. I would definitely recommend staying there if you are willing to pay the money, but you will get your moneys worth.

• Stayed April 2010
Mississippi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

Ok, so I had 4 nights booked at the W in the Mega Suite. Got to the hotel, asked the front desk person which Mega suites were available, he said he would check, but blew it off. He just handed me room keys. Went up to the room. Ugh. It looks great in pictures, but the room itself was horrid. The room was not properly cleaned, there was remnants in the back of the toilet bowl from the previous guest if you know what I mean. There was a pair of little kids underwear in the closet from the prior guest. Went up to look at the upper area. Wow, this is where it got worse. All of the wood is very aged looking and a bit rotten looking. This place has been open a year if that? The railing up to the private pool was loose and the metal had rust all over it. The floor tiles up there had rust stains and there was a cat 5 cable taped to the floor from one end to the other. This is a 4 star hotel? The floors up there were very dirty and had hair all over the place. The outdoor shower bases get in the way and I can totally see people falling over them. The door to the outside to the upstairs did not lock and had no blinds. You can lay in bed, look up and the sun shines in and you can see other rooms as well. There is a door that goes out to the tennis courts right from the back of the upstairs terrace. So having a door that does not lock is not a good thing. So we go downstairs to talk to the Manager. He very condescending and offered us an unrealistic offer for a hotel of this caliber. So we checked out the next day. If you want to stay at this hotel, get ready to over pay for a sub standard room if you pick the Mega. The hotel lobby was beautiful and the grounds looked to be nice even though I did not go down there. Oh, the sinks did not drain properly either. This place is not ready for prime time. They have a lot of kinks to work out before being a top hotel. The staff was not friendly at all and thought they were all someone since they worked in South Beach. Uh, okay. You are a staff member at a hotel in south beach, you are not a celebrity, don't act like you are. I would never stay there again.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

I stayed at the W South Beach for a couple of nights in February. The hotel is beautiful with amazing public areas and a beautiful pool. The rooms are huge and extremely modern. I got an Oasis Suite which had a beautiful ocean view. All in all I loved the hotel and the bar/lounge they have my only gripe is the service. Although they are not rude they aren't exactly very nice either.... they can definitely improve on this. Overall I would stay here again as the hotel it top notch (location, rooms, physical building/facilities)

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Philadelphia PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

Spent a week at the W in early March for a conference. The hotel is trendy, cool, comfortable and fun. The food is excellent and the service is superb. I expected the hotel staff to be a bit stand-offish, but their friendliness actually prompted me to write a letter of praise to the hotel's manager...something that I've never done before. I'll definitely come back to play.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Been to W South Beach? Share your experiences!