We chose the W at South Bech due to its location and due to the fact that their high end bungalow room included a private pool. We checked in in late Thursday night and found that the bungalows are situated right next to the pool. What they fail to tell you is that the pool becomes a club on Thursday and Saturday night. While the bungalow is pretty good at blocking out most sounds, the sounds of the bass from the D.J. kept us up until 3:00am.
The so-called private pool you get in the bungalow is the size of a small hot tub and has no temperature control. So when we even thought of venturing into the pool for a dip, the water was hotter than than the 87 degree air temp outside! We couldn't even use it once. What a waste!
We then woke up Friday morning to the sounds of drilling and sawing next door. You guessed it! We had the pleasure of having to listen to the the sounds of the bungalow next door being refurbished-complete with a table saw out back!
When I picked up my cell phone (with Verizon service)to make a call- I got no service. I tried to use my husband's phone (AT&T service), also no service. However, if I stepped outside I got complete service on both my lines--so to milk even more money and get you kick in an add'l $14.95 per day wifi fee or have to use the room phone- they clearly jam all cell phone signals.
Housekeeping came in while we were changing to clean our room. We asked her to come back later---she never did. The attendant who came to turn down our room was the one who made our bed and restocked our soaps. She even apologized for the lack of cleaning that had been done.
The night before I was scheduled to leave I went to print out my boarding pass. They even manage to milk more money from you there. There is a $7 fee to be on the internet for 15 minutes and another $2 fee to print anything.
Again, I understand all hotels try to get a few extra bucks from their guests, however, given that our room rate was already $1500/per night- all the "extras" were ridiculously petty and excessive.
The highlights of our stay here were:
1) the close proximity to the ocean - which you can get at any hotel on Collins Ave or Ocean Drive.
2) Solea - (the Spanish tapas restaurant within the hotel) great food and service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At The W South Beach, wake up to spectacular sunrises over the Atlantic or wind down to scenic sunsets in 395 rooms and bungalows featuring the best of resort living. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Starwood, Prestigia, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Despegar.com, Priceline and HotelTravel.com so you can book your W South Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- w South Beach Hotel Miami Beach
- w Hotels Miami Beach
- w Hotel Miami Beach