“Hip, fun and wonderful service...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W South Beach

Priceline.com WHotels.com
W South Beach
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2201 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #45 of 197 hotels in Miami Beach
“Hip, fun and wonderful service...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010 via mobile

Imagine sitting on your patio and resting on comfy chairs, a view of the ocean, it just makes the Miami heat so enjoyable! Seriously, I thought paying $600 for a standard hotel room was a bit ridiculous at first, but let me just say it was worth it. Not only was the hotel absolutely gorgeous, the hotel staff was a pleasure to deal with. The complimentary Acura was wonderful, the concierge (Rick, in particular), the pool staff...everyone contributed to making our stay so great! If you called for anything, in our case, coffee, they were fast and then we would get a follow up call making sure we got what we needed. I would definitely recommend staying there if you are willing to pay the money, but you will get your moneys worth.

1,195 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
Mississippi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

Ok, so I had 4 nights booked at the W in the Mega Suite. Got to the hotel, asked the front desk person which Mega suites were available, he said he would check, but blew it off. He just handed me room keys. Went up to the room. Ugh. It looks great in pictures, but the room itself was horrid. The room was not properly cleaned, there was remnants in the back of the toilet bowl from the previous guest if you know what I mean. There was a pair of little kids underwear in the closet from the prior guest. Went up to look at the upper area. Wow, this is where it got worse. All of the wood is very aged looking and a bit rotten looking. This place has been open a year if that? The railing up to the private pool was loose and the metal had rust all over it. The floor tiles up there had rust stains and there was a cat 5 cable taped to the floor from one end to the other. This is a 4 star hotel? The floors up there were very dirty and had hair all over the place. The outdoor shower bases get in the way and I can totally see people falling over them. The door to the outside to the upstairs did not lock and had no blinds. You can lay in bed, look up and the sun shines in and you can see other rooms as well. There is a door that goes out to the tennis courts right from the back of the upstairs terrace. So having a door that does not lock is not a good thing. So we go downstairs to talk to the Manager. He very condescending and offered us an unrealistic offer for a hotel of this caliber. So we checked out the next day. If you want to stay at this hotel, get ready to over pay for a sub standard room if you pick the Mega. The hotel lobby was beautiful and the grounds looked to be nice even though I did not go down there. Oh, the sinks did not drain properly either. This place is not ready for prime time. They have a lot of kinks to work out before being a top hotel. The staff was not friendly at all and thought they were all someone since they worked in South Beach. Uh, okay. You are a staff member at a hotel in south beach, you are not a celebrity, don't act like you are. I would never stay there again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

I stayed at the W South Beach for a couple of nights in February. The hotel is beautiful with amazing public areas and a beautiful pool. The rooms are huge and extremely modern. I got an Oasis Suite which had a beautiful ocean view. All in all I loved the hotel and the bar/lounge they have my only gripe is the service. Although they are not rude they aren't exactly very nice either.... they can definitely improve on this. Overall I would stay here again as the hotel it top notch (location, rooms, physical building/facilities)

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Philadelphia PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

Spent a week at the W in early March for a conference. The hotel is trendy, cool, comfortable and fun. The food is excellent and the service is superb. I expected the hotel staff to be a bit stand-offish, but their friendliness actually prompted me to write a letter of praise to the hotel's manager...something that I've never done before. I'll definitely come back to play.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

There are a lot of high and low points to the W South Beach location. When traveling to the only 5 star hotel in the area my expectations are always high. Unfortunately, not all of these expectations were met.

Upon arrival our front desk person Daniel was very kind and helpful and there was no delay checking in at all. When we got to our room overlooking the Days Inn, I was appalled at the street noise level. Thankfully the patio doors seemed to help drown that out considerably. The room seemed clean until you made the mistake of wiping your hand on the counter at the minibar-Yuck. Also, there was a rotten grape under my side of the bed that I managed to step on and squash-double yuck.

The housekeeping problems continued the next day when we were out of shampoo and body gel and none was ever replaced. Ridiculous!

The highest point of our entire stay was Joshua who tends bar at the living room. He was truly an artist! He was pleasant , incredibly knowledgeable and attentive. If the entire hotel was like Josh we would have fallen in love, alas-it was not. Previous comments about the pool chaise lounges are continuing and I think something needs to be done about it if you are charging $700 a night. Either you are luxury hotel or you aren't, but they can't seem to decide here.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

W South Beach is a refreshing change from the likes of the Shore Club / Delano etc. I wouldnt say better - just different. Beautifully decorated - it is sleek and cool... and sexy. Service was very good. Rooms are beautiful... Great Views of the beach. My only complaint with 'trendy' hotels is that often staff members have 'attitude problems'. Thankfully at the W only a couple of people fit into that category. Ate at MR. CHOW - Awesome (but expensive - $600 for 4 people) Random comment - The Pool chairs / Cabanas all of which are wooden already are starting to look old and worn.....?? Overall - Go for it. FABULOUS South Beach experience.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Midland Park, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

I just returned from a long weekend at the W South Beach with 5 of my girlfriends. What an amazing place! We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite that was truly unbelievable with 2 huge bathrooms, a media room, 3 terraces and a media room. We were on the 17th floor and had great views with literally no noise from the bar or street below. We are 36 so I was a little nervous about the "Scene" at the W but we had a great time and never felt like people were snooty or pretentious. There were a few families at the hotel but it seemed to be mostly couples or groups of friends.

The pool was so gorgeous and the food, drinks and service were excellent. The burger at the pool was worth every penny as was the Watermelon Aqua Fresca, a sweet drink made with water, sugar and big chunks of watermelon - yumm. As another reviewer mentioned, you definitely need to grab lounges at the pool before 10am or they're gone. They do have another smaller pool where we ended up one day and it was fine for laying out but that pool's not heated. The beach was also nice with comfortable chairs for free and umbrellas for $15, cabanas for $30.

The service in general at the hotel was very accomodating however we were promised a late check out (4pm) but were advised the night before that they could not honor it. My only other complaint was that they do not offer free wireless in the rooms and they charge you $5.95 per 15 minutes to use the computers in their "Wired" room. We paid $1,600 a night for a suite and to not offer free internet is just silly. I stayed at a Holiday Inn a few weeks ago that offered computer service for free! For that reason alone, I gave 4 stars instead of 5!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends

Been to W South Beach? Share your experiences!