“Esthetically pleasing, but service was a little disappointing” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W South Beach

Save Saved
You added W South Beach to your Saves list
W South Beach
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2201 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #23 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
Portland, Or
“Esthetically pleasing, but service was a little disappointing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2009

I stayed in the fabulous studio which has a large balcony with a table, sun chairs and a shower all out on patio. It seems all the fabulous studios are in the short building to the right of the tall hotel building (see photo) that is shown on the website, because of this:
- you are right above the night club which is very loud till 4am (loud bass)
- you can't see the beach - just the top of palm trees and the water
- makes for a long walk to and from hotel room (not that bad just thought I'd mention it)

The biggest disappointments were: mouse poop found in our room (see photo), automatic 20% gratuity to all hotel services, prices were pretty steep on everything (2 glasses club soda, chicken caesar salad, side of bread = $38 @ pool) (pina colada @ pool = $15) No free internet in the room, no cell service in the room if you have AT&T (my travel partner was actually happy about the no cell service- but I was not)

Best things about the hotel: it's a hot spot, lobby is nice, pool is nice, beach area is nice, kitchenette, double sinks in bathroom - AWESOME SHOWER HEADS!!

Customer Service was overall TERRIBLE! We witnessed bartenders and other staff arguing loudly in living room bar - very tacky! In room phone became broken and never got fixed, which made it difficult since I had no cell service either. I specifically called ahead to see if I could pay with cashiers check for a portion of the bill and was told yes - but when I got there of coarse it was a big ol' problem - they ended up taking it in the end. Was told we would be surprised with something special by a "designer" after reporting the mouse poop and that promise was unfulfilled. Upon check out I was asked how the stay was - told the clerk of our issues and she promised to give me 1000 extra starwood points - another promise that, as of now, is still unfulfilled. Even calling back to find out about the extra points was a fiasco - it just seems service needs FAR BETTER training.

The hotel was pretty and the room nice- but the other issues kind of overshadow it - when you pay that kind of $ for a room - you expect a bit more class.

Be ready to spend alot of $$$$ in Miami in general, but especially if you eat or drink at the W.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
WSouthBeach, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, December 18, 2009
Thank you for your review. We wanted you to know that we took the items you found on the floor to an independent lab for testing. It turns out they were wood shavings.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

The W opened just recently.....was concerned about the room size because I had stayed at the Shore Club last December and the room was small for the price! Everyone at the W was so accommodating. I booked thru Expedia and got the last room that was available for the weekend....there are 5 different room choices....I got the Spectacular Room which was the 2nd from bottom choices. Was concerned it would be too small. When I got to the W, I asked for other room options but the hotel was full. I was reassured by the front desk that i would be happy with the room. Guess what? Oh my...the room was beautiful and spacious. The room and view were SPECTACULAR! I will never stay at the Shore Club again! Can't wait to go to Miami and stay at the W again. Bring ur swimsuit.....the pool is a dream!!!!!!

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

First time at a "W" hotel, just opened beginning of summer. Art deco decor..stunning!
Tropical paradise ambience with beautiful music filtered throughout the hotel.
Picture perfect view of Miami beach from balcony.
Food not equal to price,restaurant staff and bar staff slow in serving

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
South Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

Just got back from an evening away at the new W South Beach. Being South Florida residents, it's a really nice treat to an evening out on South Beach if you are able to stay the night. The biggest pain and expense is parking. You could valet at the W for $35 plus tip overnight. There are a few mumicipal lots around the hotel that charge 1.25 an hour and are free from midnight to 9am. We luckily found a spot right in front of the hotel, put the maximum 8 hours on the meter for $10 and were covered until 9am. The hotel is magnificent. The pool area was gorgeous, featuring a huge infinity pool and big comfortable lounge chairs with many pool valets anxious to put clean smelling soft towels down for you. The W for wonderful goes to the rooms. We had a basic room and it was almost breathtaking when you opened the door. Really large and beautifully decorated, our room featured a great almost all glass bathroom, a living area, two flat screen t.v.'s, a full size microwave and small refrigerator. We also had this beautiful balcony with two comfy chairs and a WONDERFUL ocean view. Service from the staff was great. Reading prior reviews on trip advisor about the very high prices for food/drinks, we brought our own nice bottle of champagne and took a pretty long walk to Lincoln Road for dinner. Although, if you wanted to spend the big bucks, Mr. Chows restaurant looked like a happening place to be. My only issue besides the parking (typical for South Beach) is the fact that it is a pretty long walk to restaurants, etc. as the hotel is about 10 blocks away from most of the happening places to be down there. Anyway, definitely worth a splurge to just hang out at the W.

Palm Beach, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

All pretentiousness aside, I made the mistake of inviting a friend for breakfast. The idea was, we could talk some business and then he would go to his office on time.

I had "Eggs Benedict" (between quotation marks because they weren't) and coffee. He had a croissant and coffee. The tab, gratuity and taxes included, was $95.00 Now, I'm OK with spending that money if they had provided me with a more-or-less sumptious buffet. But $45 for a "muffin" the size of a quarter with a half-strip of overfried bacon and an egg on top is overdoing it in the ripping department.

Then my friend went to pick up his car at the valet. $25 for an hour's worth of parking. And that's OK too, if the car had been brought immediately. But it arrived 35 minutes later and paying $25 plus tip to cool your heels on the hotel entrance is WAY too much.

So, goodbye W, you'll never see me again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
WSouthBeach, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, December 10, 2009
Hello,
We now offer Valet Parking at $15 with validation from Solea with a maximum of 3 hours. We are also happy to let our guests know that we have completely revamped the menu at Solea with a pure spanish theme.
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

here's a quick review from sept...

Used our FWN for 2 nights. As a Plat we were upgraded to a huge suite - a bedroom, living room, kitchen, entertainment/guest room and 2 balconies -- just huge and must cost a fortune. So hard to complain about anything else. Nice location -- short cab ride to the restaurants and all...or you can walk to shopping on Collins. The pool is amazing -- very cool and nice. The chairs are great and very comfortable, though be prepared for the pool boys to seat you and place 3 towels under you (so be prep to tip). The beach is just beyond the pool and they have a great private area -- though umbrellas cost $15 a day...not outrageous. The Spa is not open yet -- will open in Sept, when the hotel has an official opening...There is def a "scene" at this hotel. Be prepared to dress -- or feel under-dressed. Not a great place for kids, but perfect for couples...a few "issues" that were probably growing pains:

-BEWARE- there is a 20% service charge on everything included at pool and beach. My waiter did not mention it to me when giving the bill and it is kind of "hidden." When i asked if this was his tip, he kind of shrugged it off as "oh yeah." they clearly expect more from you.
- I called down for some extra soap. Said they would bring it right up. It never arrived. Two hours later I stopped by the front desk to tell them -- still no soap an hour later, but i was able to stop a passing maid cart and grab some.
- I mentioned to them it was our anniversary and they sent up a bottle of champagne (happens a lot for me as a Plat member). Well, the wife is prego so not drinking. rather than have it go to waste, i mentioned to the front desk they can come and grab it and I thanked them for the gesture. The man at the front desk said, well then, thanks we will send something else up. They never did -- and they never did come to grab the unused bottle.
-On the beach I ordered a $17 grilled cheese with tomato sandwich. When the waiter brought it, it did not have tomato. I mentioned that to him and he said he'd bring a side plate of tomato -- i said for $17 i expect the tomato to be cooked on the sandwich...he wss annoyed.
-Finally, the non-drinking wife ordered a virgin-pina on the beach. It cost $16. Not unusual for a alcoholic drink, but crazy for a virgin (we asked, it was not a mistake).

Overall, a very nice and swanky place. Very Miami South Beach.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

I am so completely enamored of this hotel. I have stayed in too many places to count in Miami and this hotel is hands down my favorite. The rooms are very large and comfortable and all have an ocean view of some sort.

We were upgraded so our room was amazing. The bathroom and shower were fantastic. I really liked that they put drawers under the double sink, so you had loads of storage space instead of having toiletries everywhere. And the shower with all the showerheads was so great. I don't know about others having water pressure issues, because I certainly did not. I really like the decor of the whole place, it is cool without being so cool it is uncomfortable.

The beach area and pool were fantastic. I didn't want to leave the pool on my last day, it is so nice. And all the pool staff is great. Very attentive without being overbearing.

As a matter of fact, all the staff was great. They were very helpful, friendly and attentive. After staying at tons of places on the beach, I would say this is my new favorite by far. I like the location, near enough to everything but not so close that it is loud and annoying. And the beach is a little quieter, which I also like.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends

Been to W South Beach? Share your experiences!