“Great location, great facility, room for improvement” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W South Beach

You added W South Beach to your Saves list
W South Beach
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2201 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #11 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“Great location, great facility, room for improvement”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

I recently spent a weekend at the W South Beach with my beautiful girlfriend and friends. We had two standard rooms on the 4th floor. This was not one of my favorite W hotel stays and there is definitely room for improvement. As a SPG Platinum I will stay at the W South Beach on my next trip to Miami. If you are used to St.Regis, Mandarin Oriental, Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton type treatment and service this hotel may not be the best option for you.

Location: The W is located on Collins Avenue and 22nd Street in MIami Beach. It is walking distance from Lincoln Road and the other trendy hotels such as Delano, Setai, SLS, Loews and the Raleigh. It is a $32 flat fare plus $1 surcharge taxi ride from the airport to the hotel. The hotel is also on the beach. I would rate the hotels location as excellent.

Service: This is where I have the biggest qualms with this hotel. I think the staff could smile more and be more welcoming. I feel this gets lost with the W trying to be trendy. If the W can combine St. Regis like service with the trendy atmosphere this could be a winning combination for young professionals with disposable income. While asking for assistance I tended to feel like i was bothering the staff which I didn't like. Housekeeping also was unable to clean my room by the time I returned from the pool at 5:45pm. There are some other minor things that occurred which while not huge in themselves did leave an impact. I believe the manager on duty, Logan made great strides to try and improve the service and improve our experience. I thought he had the right attitude and I will return due to him.

Room: The standard room we had, while on a low floor was very spacious with a balcony. The bathroom is large as well. The bed is very comfortable. Overall, the room is definitely a strong selling point for this hotel. I was very happy with this room.

Food: Mr. Chow is a chain and the other restaurant is the Dutch. I thought the food to be good at Dutch and they have an impressive breakfast. The service at the Dutch would be one of the worst places I have been to and they automatically add 20% gratuity which is extremely tacky.

Gym: They gym at this hotel is very large and well stocked. There are cold bottles of water, towels and apples. The weights go up to 50 lbs and there is a SMITH machine with 45 lb plates as well. Overall, another strong point for this hotel.

Overall, due to Logan's efforts I will stay here again. Just a note, for Starwood Platinum members, this hotel is considered a resort so they are not required to honor YOUR24 requests, early check in or late check outs. We couldn't do any of them which would have been very helpful. They also are not required to upgrade you even with availability ( They seem to run at high occupancy rates anyway). This hotel has a good pool, is on the beach and has great rooms. With some service improvements this could be a great hotel on SOBE....if you can afford it . It is an expensive hotel by most standards with rates of $500 plus per night or 35,000 star points ( Category 7).

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Stephanie D, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
We appreciate your thorough feedback, especially as one of our valued platinum members. We're happy to hear that Logan's can-do attitude will be bringing you back, and are confident that, when you return, you will see many of your suggestions in action.

stephanie.dunn@whotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

We stayed here for 6 nights with 2 teenagers 17 and 13 . We all loved it, beautiful building and great spot on the beach. Our first suite 'oasis' just wasn't big enough so we upgraded ,more money but a much better option for us which gave the kids their own room and bathroom , the suite had a kitchen , 2 bed and 2 bath with 2 balconies and a partial view of the ocean. Staff were all very helpful and efficient, Chris in 'the Dutch' restaurant gave us some great suggestions and fabulous service on our first night, lovely food.
Pool service at "wet" pool and bar was brilliant! All staff great and eager to help, carafes of ice water for nothing were replaced frequently, and great food supplied at sun beds. This hotel is not cheap but is in a fabulous location and gave us what we needed for our Miami beach break.

Room Tip: Check what is available in your room when you book to save confusion .
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
So glad your whole family was able to enjoy a South Beach escape in one of our spacious suites! Thanks for making us your home away from home. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

This was supposed to be a once in a lifetime vacation for our family. Unfortunately, we encountered many disappointments along the way. As a family of 5 I requested rooms close to one another and while they were on the same floor, they couldn't have been further apart. We only had a queen size bed, so my son had to sleep on the couch which wasn't comfortable. No one offered a roll away bed until I requested one the next day. I also requested to have my kids' room moved closer which I was informed would happen in the early afternoon, but didn't actually happen until around 3pm. Went up to our room several times throughout the day but no one ever cleaned it until I complained around 4:30. Room wasn't finished until after 6pm. At which time I was still waiting for a roll away bed they assured me would be brought up. Seems as though they charge you for everything (except house cleanings). Beach chairs, which I think I should receive one for all of my family members were $20. You are only able to get 2 per room and is not unreasonable to include an umbrella which is a must have if you plan on staying on beach was an extra $15. And by the way if you leave for more than an hour they will allow others to sit in your chairs even if you tell them you'll be back. Over all we will not be back. For the amount of money we spent for two rooms we shouldn't have wanted for anything!!! As a positive the staff was extremely friendly.

Stayed August 2014
Stephanie D, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
We are truly sorry for the challenges you faced. Please email me directly at stephanie.dunn@whotels.com so that we can discuss the issue further. Once again, our sincere apologies.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We went to the W South Beach during the holiday season in April and loved it. As a Gold SPG member, we were upgraded from a standard room (I booked under cash & points) to a suite, which was very appreciated as we were travelling with a toddler and could use the extra space. The pool is a total scene, and during the holidays it was lots of Long Island housewives & their Goyards, but still a very nice time (we actually never made it to the beach since it was so convenient to hang out by the pool and order lunch there - although pool menu is quite pricey and not as good as The Dutch). The Dutch restaurant has an amazing breakfast, and when I fantasize about what I want on my carb cheat day, I think of the buffet option at the Dutch. The bliss products are great, and one of the few brands that you actually think about buying when you get back home. I found the staff to be one of the most articulate, polished group of hotel employees in my travels from the guy at the front desk to bellboy. Room service was just average, and I provided that feedback in a Starwood survey (to which I received a response from the manager that they were planning to upgrade the menu). The 24 hour gym is definitely adequate with technogym treadmills, ellipticals, and bikes (I'm personally a life fitness fan, especially for things like the ellipticals, which felt flimsy). There are some weight machines as well. But I thought there was an opportunity for more equipment diversity (like a rower or a stairmaster or maybe a step). They have free refrigerated water bottles and apples in the gym, which is a nice treat. When you checkout, I recommend very carefully reviewing the bill as many expensive meals were charged to our room that were not ours. Overall, I would highly recommend the W South Beach for families or adult only travelers, and I look forward to visiting again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. It sounds like you had a great time, especially on our WET deck and during breakfast at The Dutch. Next time a carb cheat day craving strikes, you know where to find us!

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Nice spacious rooms; most that are actually mini suite apartments. Newer property located just a bit north of the central area of South Beach. Rooms get a bit of wear and tear but still nice. Small balconies with seating a big plus. On the beach with lovely beach service, for a fee. Most everything is fee centric so be prepared. Fully amenitized from signature restaurants, spa, gym, bars, pools, and beach access. Higher floors have nice views and are quieter. Bar is quite the scene on weekends. Fun people watching as well. Service is good but can be a bit rushed and surly.

Room Tip: Ask for southern views on higher floors.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
It was our pleasure to have you. We're pleased to share that we will soon be refreshing our guest rooms, and look forward to having you back so you can personally see the difference. Hope to see you soon!

Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

The best thing about the W South Beach wasn't the prime location, trendy decor, clean comfortable room, toiletries (Bliss brand shampoos and lotions and useful extras like makeup remover), the free upgrade I got to a room with a beach view or the friendly and eagerly helpful valets and door men. The best thing about the W South Beach was the email I received from Rick Ueno (GM) after I filled out a survey about my stay.

After checking out, I got an email from Starwood Hotels asking me to give feedback about my stay at the W. As a Starwood Preferred Guest, I figured I might as well participate in the survey even though I suspected my responses would most likely be sent off into the “Twilight Zone,” as many customer surveys are-- never to be read or seen of again. Surprisingly, I was wrong.

Just a day or two after submitting my survey, I got a personal email from Rick Ueno addressing the one and only negative aspect of my stay which I’d identified in my survey-- $14.95/day internet access in my room (I've stayed at cheaper hotels like Hampton Inn where internet is ALWAYS free!). Rick told me that he was going to refund the fee I had incurred for the internet service and to save his email and let him know next time I stay at the hotel so he can add "special GM touches" to my next stay.

This to me is a shining example of what good, responsive, respectful customer service looks like and it's what will make my stay at the W one that’ll stand out in my mind for a long time. With so many options for hotels, it's careful and attentive customer care that makes all the difference when deciding between companies. Thank you Rick, for making me feel HEARD and for making the W South Beach my new go-to when visiting Miami!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Our guests' 110% satisfaction is always our top priority. Thank you so much for sharing your experience, as we personally read all feedback and are constantly looking for ways to bring our service to an even higher level of luxury.

Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

We stayed at the W with our 3 children on our way to the Caribbean and again on our trip home at the end of our vacation. We enjoyed our stay both nights. We had 2 beautiful rooms with amazing views of the beach and surrounding area each stay. The staff provided exceptional service. We needed a roll-away bed for our kids' room. When I requested it and found out it was $75 I was shocked and turned it down. The woman helping me at the front desk immediately offered to comp it for me. This was impressive service. While on vacation in the caribbean I broke my back water skiing. I was in incredible pain during our return trip. Isaac Augustama noticed and was quick to offer an ice pack as well as an electric kettle and towels so I could apply both ice and heat. They were delivered to my room within minutes. The care and concern were above and beyond my expectations.

Room Tip: High floors have great views of the beach and ocean.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Stephanie D, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Our team is always ready and willing to go the extra mile for our guests, and we're so pleased that we were able to assist with ice packs and an electric kettle for your back pain. We hope you were able to enjoy your South Beach vacation in comfort, and hope you feel better soon!

stephanie.dunn@whotels.com

Been to W South Beach? Share your experiences!