“Great hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W South Beach

Save Saved
You added W South Beach to your Saves list
W South Beach
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2201 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #26 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
New York City, New York
“Great hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Hotel was everything we expected and then some. We would definitely return. Family spent a week at the resort, great atmosphere and friendly staff. Both house valet, Darko, and engineer, Reynold Mathieu, were extremely helpful and accommodating. Overall our experience was fantastic.

Room Tip: Choose south side
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
WSoBe, General Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Guest,

It sounds as though you had a wonderful stay! Thank you for sharing your experience, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

1,388 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
Tenafly, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

I stayed at the w south beach from march 12-15 in the Oasis suite. Paid 1000$ per night for terrible service. To sum up Do Not Stay Here.

Negatives and complaints:
1.Our room which was supposed to have an early check in was ready at 4:30pm. 2.They promised us an upgrade to no avail.
3. Obnoxious desk staff.
4.There was no hot water I tried showering the kids at 5 no hot water then tried again at 8 none again. Then again at 10.
5. No room at pool. I understand thas not a staff issue thats an architectural issue but non the less very annoying.
6. At the beach they wanted to charge us additional for chairs.
7. Additional charge for water in room.

Positives
1.Security staff professional
2. Bed in master is awesome [kids bed terrible )

To sum we will Never stay at the w south beach I rather spend 1500/night elsewhere and get better service than stay in this waste of money.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We sincerely apologize for the challenges you encountered during your stay. Please know that out guests' total satisfaction is our foremost priority, and we will be taking every measure necessary to address the points outlined in your review. Once again, our sincere apologies.

chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

Fantastic stay at the W. Here are the things you need to know to decide if this is the right place for you:

1. There is construction at the property to the north right now. Our room was on the south side of the building and the noise was not a problem in our room at all. The noise was unfortunate background "music" at the pool and beach. If this is a dealbreaker for you, you may want to consider another property.

2. We stayed in a suite that was both highly comfortable and incredibly stylish. The bed was perfection! The bathroom was perfectly appointed and the water pressure- also perfection. Giant bath towels, Bliss products. Lovely views of both the ocean and city from our room and balcony. All of the furnishings were both stylish and comfortable. Our room even had a microwave and electric cook top! The room was fantastic and we hated to leave it!

3. The pool, beach, lobby, restaurants, gardens all styled to perfection and comfortable/fun/relaxing. The lounges at the pool and beach are super comfortable- cushions on all of the loungers! There is even a basketball and tennis court!

4. Location: out of the SOBE craziness by a touch, but a quick walk to most of the sights.

5. Restaurants: we ate at Wet (poolside spot) and the Dutch. Seems like they share a kitchen. I became addicted to the lobster roll and the mahi sandwich is big enough to share. The Dutch has a daily handmade pie! $$ but delicious.

6. Staff: almost everyone we encountered was friendly and helpful.

Overall, the W is not cheap but the rates are comparable to other hotels on the beach. I think the level of comfort, size and amenities, stylish design, and location make this worth the price. The other hotels in this price range are claustrophobic.

Room Tip: Due to construction immediately to the north, book a south facing room. We had both an ocean and ci...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your thorough review. It was a pleasure to have you, and we are so happy to hear you enjoyed the many facets of our property, from delicious poolside bites at WET to unwinding in your spacious suite.

Until next time,

Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

It's 4:39am, loud Club music is pulsating through my room. That's really not a complaint as much as I want it to be ADVICE. Simply, DO NOT stay in a studio on the 3RD FLOOR. We paid for the "ocean view"... Technically, you can kinda-sorta see the oceanic blue waters if you stand on the balcony table. You really want to be on a higher floor, preferably on the southern side of the hotel. Poolside, we enjoyed the daily $250 bar tabs, just be sure to grab chairs early! Also the movement of the sun is a big factor. So pay attention. Like warfare, "strategic positioning" for the eastern side of the pool begins around 2pm, it's fun to watch if you are positioned correctly. A $20 bill will get stuff done at the pool too. You'll need a few, but that's not exclusive to the W. The W has a super nice staff. Try the beach for at least half of your sunshine intoxication. The pool menu is excellent. The fish tacos, gauc and chips are a circus in your mouth. The tuna tartare is so good! A short walk to Nobu (sushi) for dinner is also a suggestion. Try Yardbird if you wanna mix it with some southern style dishes. The News Cafe for breakfast is good with a great atmosphere. Overall, we liked the W South Beach. Super disappointed about our "kinda" ocean view, but we will get over it. Just request something on a higher floor. You'll like your view and probably avoid the "Daft Punk" lullaby's. We'll keep the light... Not exactly.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

This is without a doubt the worst excuse for a luxury hotel that it has ever been my misfortune at which to stay. It seems they take perverted pleasure in messing up at every opportunity. Service is almost comically bad. We are still waiting for our early check in room at 17:00. The restaurant was bringing us our drinks order at a rate of one drink every 10 mins and no food after 40 minutes. Under no circumstances order the Bloody Mary - it will haunt me forever. This place belongs in the twilight zone! Stay here at your peril!

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Guest,

We express our sincerest apologies for the lack of service you received from our staff. Please know this is not the way we service our guests. With the helpful feedback you provided, we can utilize this experience as a training tool for future guest experiences.

Once again, we truly apologize for the lack of "wow" factor on your visit.

Monaco-Ville, Monaco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Recently we stayed for a week. Even if the hotel is very modern and I don't like modern style however the staff made me feel home and they were extremely nice and caring. Especially a big thank you to Casey who satisfied all accommodation requirements. All my evenings were planned by the amazing Gabriella Di Falco that reserved for us to the best restaurants in Miami even when it was all booked. Everybody knows and love her in Miami. Thank you GABRY!!! And a special thank you to the brazilian valet who dropped us to the airport.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
WSoBe, General Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

We're thrilled to have been your home away from home. We'll be sure to pass along your compliments to Casey and Gaby, who are both wonderful members of our team. Thank you once again, and we hope to welcome you back soon.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

I have a AAA membership
I have SPG gold membership (through Amex platinum)

We are in the oasis suite. We got it for 791 plus tax a night (I think its around 900 a night total). The regular price for the room is 1064 plus tax a night.
Two days before I arrived I called to make sure we could get an early check in. I asked for 3:30 instead of 4pm. Not that crazy of a request, right? I knew that my kids would be drained after the flight and wanted to rest afterward. They said no problem we can take care of that. I also asked for a high floor. He said the 10th floor has the best view and he would put in the notes to make sure it was available when we arrived. He also told us because there was alot of space and we were gold members we would probably get an upgrade.
When we arrived at 3:30, we were told that our room was not ready and they would call us when it was. I asked the what was the room number, they said it wasn't assigned yet. They said the hotel is full and no one was going to get an early check in. Meanwhile the guy right next to me was getting an early check in to an oasis suite. I asked why he got an early checkin, they said he was waiting longer than I was so.... I said I called 2 days ago to have it arranged and she said sorry you cant do that over the phone.
So we decided to have lunch by the pool. We didnt get a call so at 4:15 I went to the front desk and asked for the room. They forgot about us. The woman at the front desk had no idea what she was doing and for every request went to, I guess it was the manager, to find out what to say. My wife did get the call after I sat down with the keys at 4:30. They said the hotel was full, there were no upgrades available and they put us on the 4th floor facing the parking lot.
Then we asked someone to come up that evening to set up the bed for the kids. We didn't need the media room so we used the fold out couch as a bed, they are 4 and 7 so they don't need much. It took them 30 minutes to get up to our room. The same thing happened with the request to clean the room.
I know these things might sound trivial, and I agree if you get a regular room for 2-300 a night. But I expected more for a room that costs over 1K a night.

I am still here but neither I nor anyone who asks my advice will ever stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
WSoBe, General Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

We offer our sincere apologies for the lack of 'wow' factor on your visit. We have addressed your feedback with our team. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Once again, our apologies.