“Bring ear plugs if you want to stay at the W” 1 of 5 stars
Review of W South Beach

Save Saved
You added W South Beach to your Saves list
W South Beach
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2201 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #46 of 197 hotels in Miami Beach
“Bring ear plugs if you want to stay at the W”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

I have just had a fantastic time in Mexico and was expecting a similar stay at the W at the recommendation of my travel agent . Well he couldn't be more wrong. When we arrived at 430 pm the room still wasn't ready when we finally were allowed in the room it was nice and clean, the terrace however was far from clean and the actual table outside was dirty as were the sunbeds. The next surprise came when at 2 am I could hear this thumping noise that practically vibrated the whole room ... It was the Disco... The next day after finally managing some sleep we got to the pool at 11ish to be told there is a waiting list for the beds ... The final straw after having left the pool as there was no space was whilst sitting on our balcony we were blasted by phenomenal drilling and building works noises from just next door. This went on for the duration of the whole week as did the disco noise. Although our room was cleaned adequately the balcony was not. We often had cigarette ends that had obviously been dropped by other guests land on our balcony. So as I said unless you come with ear plugs and don't mind getting up at 8 to run down to the pool to get a bed then I suggest you stay away from the W. btw it's not that I didn't complain at the time.. Or at the end .. I was given $200 compensation ... No comment needed. It was a real shame I was really looking forward to my time in Miami and it was a complete let down

• Stayed July 2013
WSoBeGM, General Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. I am very sorry that your visit did not live to the standards as your recent visit to Mexico. I apologize that the club and construction nose kept you awake. Regretfully the construction taking place is at the hotel next door, we expect construction to seize in the near future. If and when your travels bring you back to Miami Beach, we hope you give us another try so we can show you what you are used to from Starwood Hotels.

1,190 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Just got home yesterday from my favorite and future home South Beach. The W Hotel always makes our stay pleasurable and convinced us we should stay anywhere else. Just wanted to say Way To Go & Never Change!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
WSoBeGM, General Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your continued patronage as we are delighted you choose to stay with us every time you visit Miami. You mention future homeowner...hopefully that means you are purchasing a unit with us, that would be lovely! We look forward to calling W South Beach your home in the near future.

Aliso Viejo, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

This upscale hotel was a gem in Miami. Other than it's world class amenities, the staff lived up to it's "Whatever, Whenever" service. Specifically, Joseph Johnson was a pleasure to work with. He not only helped us deal with a challenging transportation issue upon our arrival to the hotel, Joseph was attentive and acted quickly when I realized I forgot my laptop in the hotel room. He ensured that my laptop was safe and took the time to keep me posted with the details of shipping the package back to me. 5 Stars all-around for The W.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor. We are so happy you enjoyed the hotel and our facilities, and what makes your comments more special is the fact that Joseph Johnson was kind enough to assist and follow through with your laptop. I have ensured to let him and our team know of your comments, we look forward to welcoming you again!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

When I travel I am an absolute nut about researching every hotel, restaurant, etc in the area before choosing one. The W hotel was an easy choice because after narrowing it down to three hotels in South Beach the W was the one to go above and beyond. I called three separate hotels asking for a room with a great view but that also was quiet at 3am as we didn’t want to be up to all hours of the night. One hotel told me to not come to South Beach then, another said they really didn’t know which room was best and someone would call me back (never did) and the W was AMAZING! The front desk lady said she completely understood that we wanted to go out and have fun but when we were ready to sleep we wanted to sleep! She helped me choose the perfect room and then transferred me to the concierge to help me set up all of our dinners, tell us about great places to see and so on. They were very helpful.

Arrival/Room: First when we got there the valet, check-in and everything was a breeze. When we got to our room I was blown away! We went with a suite that faced the ocean which was absolutely stunning. In line with the W’s atmosphere the room was chic and trendy and not to mention BIG! It had a super comfortable bed, huge shower and tub and a great kitchen and living room and of course our favorite part the huge balcony area. Comparing the room size per cost to other hotels I think that you get more here then at other places. We were on the 14th floor and I was really nervous because directly below us was the pool. The W is known for having a great weekend crowd and I was nervous it would get loud. To our surprise though when you shut the balcony doors you couldn’t hear anything but a very faint sound of bass but it didn’t keep us up at all or anything.

Pool/Beach: The pool is gorgeous with a very friendly staff and great lunch and drink options. I highly recommend the fish tacos and guacamole! There were also a good number of chairs so even on a busy weekend (we were in for Miami Swim Week) we had chairs. The beach is really nice out front of the hotel and didn’t seem to be as crowded as if you turned right from the W and headed down the beach. My one little complaint is that if you want an umbrella over your chair out on the beach only it is $15. That just seemed silly to me.

Gym/Spa: I was pleasantly surprised with the size of the gym especially for south beach where I have stayed at other places that have a beautiful hotel but small gym. This was not the case at the W, the gym is large, has a variety of cardio, strength machines and free weights. Also you could get a trainer if you needed. I did not get one though so I do not know what the cost would be.

Where do I even begin with the Bliss Spa! It was such an amazing experience I didn’t want to leave! The have so many unique treatments and a huge store with a variety of bliss products. I received a ginger wrap with a massage that was out of this world! Trust me you must go!

Boutique: Its pricey as are most boutiques in South Beach but the selection is super trendy and the girls that work there are VERY nice! Unlike some boutiques in South Beach the girls here were so sweet and helpful. They didn’t have a belt in my size so she wrote down the company, name, website of the belt to help me find it. It was very nice for them to go above and beyond instead of just saying no sorry we don’t have it.

All in all we had the most wonderful experience and would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Marvelous suite has amazing views of the ocean and was quiet even with lots going on below.
Dear Guest,

What an amazing review! Thank you for going above and beyond in taking so much time to write such an in depth review, broken down by area and experience. I will ensure to let each department know how much you appreciated them and their services, and thank you for letting the trip advisor community know how much you enjoyed your visit. We hope to definitely welcome you back soon!

Thanks Again,

Breinigsville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

From the moment the doors open to this stunning hotel, you feel like you are in paradise. The cold air, the W signature smells, and the inviting decor pull you in immediately.

Our trip was five days in July 2013 and our W experience began before we arrived. Jose and Diego, two of W South Beach's outstanding concierge team, made reservations for us to have the pool's best cabana throughout our stay, weeks in advance of our trip! They also took care of our spa reservations at Bliss (located in W South Beach). Jose and Diego are top-notch and the W is lucky to have them!

Customer service is a passion at W SoBe; once employees learned our names, we were greeted each and every time we saw them throughout the week. Our rooms were impeccable, service at The Dutch and in the Living Room was incredible, and the staff at the check-in desk helped to give us a world-class experience.

About our rooms..yes plural! This was the only blemish on our trip and quite frankly, I am not even sure if I can truly be upset with the W staff because of how they handled it. We first had a Fabulous Room located on the fifth floor. While the bathroom was by far a highlight of that room (as is the layout), the room was located five floors above Wall, the nightclub at W SoBe. Unfortunately, we did not know that we would be able to hear the bass from the club all night on a Tuesday (or Thurs/Fri/Sat) and we accepted the room. The only thing I would have liked is if the check-in associate would have advised us of this (we could have saved them from switching us later). Proving again that they are world-class, W SoBe employees moved our room the next morning to a Fantastic Suite (amazing as well), without blinking an eye (and within 30 minutes of our comment about Wall's bass)!

The outdoor activities at W SoBe are endless, but the pool is serviced by such an awesome team, that it should not be passed up. Leo, Manny, Jorge, and Bibi, made sure that our experience at their pool was nothing short of fantastic. We felt like celebrities being pampered and attended to with such care. **Tip** Cabana #6 gets sun from sunrise to sundown! Well worth it!

The only two neutral comments I have are regarding Bliss and W's Acura service (both services are 3rd party- I think). Bliss is lacking for a spa in such a luxury hotel. I am used to more amenities in the locker room areas (spas, saunas, jacuzzi's, etc.) and all Bliss has is a waiting area and steam shower that doubles as a regular shower. My massage was fair; however, my wife enjoyed hers. I would not go to Bliss again. As for the Acura service, this is a great way to get around SoBe, but I wish they didn't jam Acura marketing down your throat each and every ride! After the first or second ride, enough is enough- yes I know it was free!

Overall, I would give W South Beach 6 stars if I could. Our SoBe vacation was made quite special by the staff at the resort. Their management team should be proud! We will be back!

Room Tip: Rooms above Wall (night club) will vibrate with the club's bass until 4 AM! While many hotel gu...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
WSoBeGM, General Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review for the trip advisor community to read about. I am so glad Jose and Diego were at your service to make your stay that much more pleasurable. I am sorry that the Fabulous Room did not meet your expectations, however I am happy that our team was able to move you quickly and efficiently. It's a pleasure to have had you with us and we hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back again soon. Thanks again!

Lisbon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

The hotel has a great location is South Beach. good paid parking nearby, great breakfast (albeit very expensive! US$43!), lovely swimming pool and very very close to the beach.
The studio room I got was just fantastic with space and a great view.
The bathroom was also great.
On the minus side this hotel is too expensive, too pretentious and overcrowded.
Sometimes you just don't feel cozy enough and the check-out time limit is just ridiculous at 11am. Also internet in the rooms is paid and expensive (US$15 per day!). So, not worth of the full 5 stars.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
WSoBeGM, General Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate your positive comments as well as your constructive criticism, as this is what will help us improve our overall service delivery. I am sorry you felt the hotel was overcrowded and that you did not feel cozy. We hope that the next time you visit you will have a better experience and that you will feel more comfortable. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next trip to Miami Beach.

Rochester Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

This is an amazing hotel which not only is in SoBe but has the whole W experience.
We are platinum SPG members and were upgraded to beautiful large suite Rm 1522 (which made you want not to leave) but this is SoBe so we explored what SoBe had to offer

The room of course was amazing and the service is impeccable. Prior to arriving John Evans (W Insider) contacted us and let us know he would be available to making our stay memorable. When we arrived he came out and promptly greeted us and mentioned he would be available to help us with any dinner/nightlife reservations and suggestions. He actually suggested a couple of places that we loved (Gale bar/SLS bar etc); he was amazing and definitely deserves all the praise in the world for helping make our stay memorable.

Of course there also is the W bar atmosphere/W pool experience etc etc. The whole experience was amazing and my wife and I cant wait to come backl

Dear Guest,

What a lovely review! It is great to hear that John made your stay memorable and special! I have made sure to let him know of your kind words. We value our SPG guests and so happy that we made your visit lovely. We look forward to the opportunity to WOW you again, please hurry back!

W SoBe GM

Been to W South Beach? Share your experiences!