“W South Beach is Worthless” 1 of 5 stars
Review of W South Beach

and 1 more site!
You added W South Beach to your Saves list
W South Beach
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2201 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #14 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
toronto
“W South Beach is Worthless”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I am Platinum for life with SPG and a doctor by profession and have had 1000+ stays with them but have never had to post a negative review of any of their properties. I stayed here on July 5 th and was booked for 2 days on my corporate rate which allows a 6 pm cancellation . I decided to leave on 6 th and staff was pissed off as they couldn't charge me the hefty cancellation fees and demanded an immediate check out. I complied to later find out they added$200 to my bill for " Room Damage" . I called the hotel back and they said they couldn't tell me what it was for and the manager has to call me back as he was in the meeting. Manager never called me back and I had to contact SPG corporate services and opened up a file and they were told charge was for smoking in the room. I, of course do not smoke. SPG corporate services gave the hotel 7 days to either produce a proof of damage or return the money and hotel has still not bothered to reply to me. If this is the treatment towards a member of my stature with SPG, watch out. I am insulted to say the least.

Room Tip: Stay away and if you are SPG member, consider Four Points.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
WSoBeGM, General Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor. I am so sorry to hear that you not only endured challenges during your visit, but post visit with the additional charge that was imposed upon you. Please know this is not the way we run our operation, and I will discuss this matter in further detail with my team to ensure future guests do not endure the same experience. Once again thank you for letting us know what transpired and please contact us if your matter still has not been resolved.

W SoBe GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

This is our third time back at the W south beach and it was even better than before because of two main reasons a man named Ralph Chaoul that pretty much did everything and anything for us from setting up restaurant reservations to guiding us to the best spots and setting up transportation. He went simply beyond and we appreciated it. Secondly, we stay in the two bedroom corner suite which was perfect for my family of 4 and perfect ocean views. We will be back for Christmas.

• Stayed July 2013
WSoBeGM, General Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with the Trip Advisor Community. We are delighted that you had such an amazing visit, and even better thanks to Ralph! I will make sure to share your feedback with him, and we look forward to welcoming you back in December as much as you look forward to returning.

Thanks again!

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

My husband and I usually stay at the Ritz but this time we decided to stay at the W. I thought the hotel had a great vibe and very cool interior. The rooms were big and even had 1 1/2 bathrooms and a kitchen. Great tub and the furniture was sophisticated and the view was great. In the bedroom there is this great hanging chandelier that when you bump it it sounds like a wind chime which at night when the air was on you could here it which at first I thought would bug me but it was not bad at all. Just FYI. The service was nice and one day the big pool was full so we were seated at the side pool which was great bc it was like having a private pool. The only down side to that pool (and the big pool) was the noise from the construction next door. It was pretty loud. We ate breakfast at the Dutch which was good. The black and white cake we had for snack was great! It is pricey ($10 for one iced coffee??) but it is the W and was a nice change from the Ritz. We will be staying here again. We also got massages at Bliss which was a nice massage but the waiting area for woman and the facilities were just average and it was really bright. After being in a dark nice room for an hour you come out to bright bright light. The showers were out of soap and if there is more then 1-2 people trying to get ready its tight with only one hair dryer. The Ritz definitely has a better spa.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

What a treat for you to stay with us instead of the Ritz this visit! It's great that we captured your heart! So happy to hear you enjoyed your visit. We get great feedback from our guests about the VIP Pool with your same sentiments, as it is quaint and "private."

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and we thank you for your patronage.

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Stayed here over 4th of July w/e and was very disappointed with the quality of the SPG check-in staff. We were given wrong information about which room & when it would be ready, waited up by the pool for 3 hours waiting for front desk to call only to be given the same room offered to us at the start? Lost our luggage x 2 even with tags. Room was not up to W quality, very worn out & tired looking. We cut short our stay & moved up to the W Fort Lauderdale.

Room Tip: Tower 1 seem to have nicer suites than Tower 2.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent W South Beach Experience. I am very sorry to hear that you encounters with the Welcome Desk staff as well as the confusion on your room type and finding your luggage. The Arrival experience is what sets the tone for any hotel visit, and I am disappointed we failed,and I apologize.

If you decide to visit us in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out to me and I will ensure your next visit is flawless.

New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We were well-overdue for a vacation, so we decided to book one to Miami. I booked the hotel through Magellan Vacations online as they seemed to be providing us some good deals. We were debating between several hotels, but landed on the W.

Overall our stay at the W was great. Our Suite was awesome, huge (compared to most hotel rooms) and a beautiful view from the balcony. The service at the hotel was great overall. Especially liked the turnover service at night. Got to love coming back to your room with a bottle of water and chocolate at bedside after dinner and drinks. We spent most of our time at the pool, but did check out the beach for half a day. The staff sets you up with chairs, umbrella, and towels, etc and staff is around to order drinks and food from.

Word to the wise: I had read online about the W offering a car to transport you around South Beach, but if you plan on using it, you must reserve it well in advance. We didnt end up using it since it was already booked.

We did breakfast at the hotel one day. Not bad, but be prepared for the bill. Obviously the W is not cheap by any means, but breakfast for $80 is a bit excessive and we didnt even drink mimosas or anything!

Now the negative: When booking, the agent failed to tell us that Memorial Day weekend has become known as 'Urban Beach Festival/Weekend'. Luckily the W was not filled to capactiy, and if you never left the hotel, you may have not known other than the police located at the front door that are normally not there, but needless to say we did not get the trip we had expected. With the festivities, most of the major roads in South Beach are blocked off, so getting around by cab is difficult. It took us an hour to get to our dinner reservation that was less than a mile or two away from the hotel. We learned from our mistake and walked to dinner the next night, but definitely saw what Urban Beach Weekend was all about. I won't go into detail, but just 'google' it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor! It is great to hear that you enjoyed the service and amenities W South Beach has to offer. I have shared your feedback on The Dutch with our Director of Food and Beverage to review pricing and offerings.

We hope to welcome you back again on an alternate weekend of your choice.

melbourne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Firstly apologies to all the other W hotels we've stayed at,as this no reflection on you. W south beach is cheap, it is poorly set up and there is no wow factor rooms were poor and not clean. Second the service is the worst I've experienced at a w. no-one approached us to help with bags when we arrived for a group of 6, then wen we had room complications no one would help us with our situation, until 2 hours later they had a solution. The w south beach is a renovated 2star and it shows, it blends in with the 2 star accommodation next door...we checked out after a day and went to another hotel. For $500 a night it is no where near worth it. This hotel does not deserve the w brand.. Look elsewhere while @ south beach.. Our experience was not that of others and we were extremely disappointed. W was not for wow, we used the words what? Where? And who?

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Guest,

I am quite disappointed to read of your experience. I cannot begin to express my sincerest apologies for the lack of service you received from our staff. Please know this is not the way we service out guests, and with the helpful feedback you provided, we can utilize this experience as a training tool for future guest experiences.

Once again I truly apologize for the lack of "wow" factor on your visit.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Another great W property. Great staff, great pool, great beach. The concierge staff was excellent especially Madeline who handled a number of requests for us including several that were done pre-arrival while I was in Asia. The whole experience was relaxing and rejuvenating which was just what my wife and I were looking for on this trip.

Room Tip: We choose a Fabulous Suite: great ocean view, huge room, awesome bathroom and excellent balcony.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am delighted that you had a great visit, and it makes it even better that Madeline was able to provide you with our signature whatever/whenever service, all the way in Asia prior to your arrival! We look forward to seeing you in the near future, I will make sure to send her your comments!

W SoBe GM

Been to W South Beach? Share your experiences!