“Don't come to South Beach over Memorial Day Weekend!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W South Beach

You added W South Beach to your Saves list
W South Beach
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2201 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #4 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
New Jersey
“Don't come to South Beach over Memorial Day Weekend!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We were well-overdue for a vacation, so we decided to book one to Miami. I booked the hotel through Magellan Vacations online as they seemed to be providing us some good deals. We were debating between several hotels, but landed on the W.

Overall our stay at the W was great. Our Suite was awesome, huge (compared to most hotel rooms) and a beautiful view from the balcony. The service at the hotel was great overall. Especially liked the turnover service at night. Got to love coming back to your room with a bottle of water and chocolate at bedside after dinner and drinks. We spent most of our time at the pool, but did check out the beach for half a day. The staff sets you up with chairs, umbrella, and towels, etc and staff is around to order drinks and food from.

Word to the wise: I had read online about the W offering a car to transport you around South Beach, but if you plan on using it, you must reserve it well in advance. We didnt end up using it since it was already booked.

We did breakfast at the hotel one day. Not bad, but be prepared for the bill. Obviously the W is not cheap by any means, but breakfast for $80 is a bit excessive and we didnt even drink mimosas or anything!

Now the negative: When booking, the agent failed to tell us that Memorial Day weekend has become known as 'Urban Beach Festival/Weekend'. Luckily the W was not filled to capactiy, and if you never left the hotel, you may have not known other than the police located at the front door that are normally not there, but needless to say we did not get the trip we had expected. With the festivities, most of the major roads in South Beach are blocked off, so getting around by cab is difficult. It took us an hour to get to our dinner reservation that was less than a mile or two away from the hotel. We learned from our mistake and walked to dinner the next night, but definitely saw what Urban Beach Weekend was all about. I won't go into detail, but just 'google' it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
WSoBeGM, General Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor! It is great to hear that you enjoyed the service and amenities W South Beach has to offer. I have shared your feedback on The Dutch with our Director of Food and Beverage to review pricing and offerings.

We hope to welcome you back again on an alternate weekend of your choice.

W SoBe GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (544)
melbourne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Firstly apologies to all the other W hotels we've stayed at,as this no reflection on you. W south beach is cheap, it is poorly set up and there is no wow factor rooms were poor and not clean. Second the service is the worst I've experienced at a w. no-one approached us to help with bags when we arrived for a group of 6, then wen we had room complications no one would help us with our situation, until 2 hours later they had a solution. The w south beach is a renovated 2star and it shows, it blends in with the 2 star accommodation next door...we checked out after a day and went to another hotel. For $500 a night it is no where near worth it. This hotel does not deserve the w brand.. Look elsewhere while @ south beach.. Our experience was not that of others and we were extremely disappointed. W was not for wow, we used the words what? Where? And who?

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Guest,

I am quite disappointed to read of your experience. I cannot begin to express my sincerest apologies for the lack of service you received from our staff. Please know this is not the way we service out guests, and with the helpful feedback you provided, we can utilize this experience as a training tool for future guest experiences.

Once again I truly apologize for the lack of "wow" factor on your visit.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Another great W property. Great staff, great pool, great beach. The concierge staff was excellent especially Madeline who handled a number of requests for us including several that were done pre-arrival while I was in Asia. The whole experience was relaxing and rejuvenating which was just what my wife and I were looking for on this trip.

Room Tip: We choose a Fabulous Suite: great ocean view, huge room, awesome bathroom and excellent balcony.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am delighted that you had a great visit, and it makes it even better that Madeline was able to provide you with our signature whatever/whenever service, all the way in Asia prior to your arrival! We look forward to seeing you in the near future, I will make sure to send her your comments!

Plano, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Just returned from a family vacation at the W South Beach. I admit that I was hesitant to return to this W after staying here in the past. Why? Well, the last time we stayed here the effort to be hip and trendy overshadowed the focus on quality and attention to guest comfort. The noise level was high and the service fairly poor. Nothing wrong with their wanting to serve the party crowd, but that was simply not our goal (maybe we are too old and not their target client we assumed) and so we returned to the Ritz Carlton right up the street. This year, for the 4th of July week, we chose the W simply because we thought our teenage kids would appreciate the “stay in a club” environment.

What a shock (in a good way) we had. This hotel as truly gone through a renaissance and has found the perfect balance of service/luxury and hip/trendy. We had a great vacation with the W over-performing in every way. Now, the service is top notch, with them going out of their way to anticipate every need. Every single service member, from the front desk, to concierge, to pool/beach staff to housekeeping was friendly, efficient and service oriented. Our rooms were spotlessly clean and continually refreshed all week.

The most pleasant surprise is that removal of the overly loud club, that used to run into all hours of the night and a volume you could simply not get away from. While they still had a solid party in the outdoor club every night, there’s no more thumping so loud that it keeps you up, even when on the 16th floor. We slept soundly all week, even on July 4th itself. It's nice to see that the hotel is accommodating guests now and not focusing totally on the locals who come for the night club. (But, don't get me wrong, they seem to still have that going for them. On the day we left, our car picked us up at 4:45 am and we say a large crowd just leaving the club! Ah, to be young again.)

I can now agree with the other reviewers that it really doesn't get better than the W South Beach. I will hold the rest of the Starwood properties to the standard of this hotel. You get the nice, contemporary environment without the “baggage” that it can bring when trying too hard. With a great location and first class design, we left feeling as if we had spent the week on a luxury cruise, with great ocean views, wonderful service and a solid beach experience.
I really have to think long and hard to come up with even the smallest negative comment. I guess I could note that the pool area is small so you have to get on a waiting list for lounge chairs, but that was not so bad as there is plenty of seating at the beach, and chair rental in included in your room rate.

All-in-all, I can’t say enough good things about the W South Beach. They have raised their game and are now among the very best on South Beach. We will be back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I am so happy that you had a magnificent stay that exceeded your expectations. We strive to improve just a little bit every day, and I am glad that this visit was much more pleasant than the last. Thanks for sharing your feedback with the trip advisor community, we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Rumson, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was our second time staying at the W South Beach and I have to say the place just continues to get better. We booked a fabulous suite which was exactly that an amazing room. We asked for a lower level floor and were given this suite on the 3rd floor unfortunately at that level the foliage has grown so high that despite being "oceanfront" we could not see the ocean. The front desk apologized and immediately gave us a resort credit for the disappointment. The entire staff were very friendly, helpful and provided great service. The pool area is beautiful as are many of the surrounding areas to lounge. The beach is very nice with wonderful service as well. Excellent resort that I would definitely recommend!

Room Tip: Get a room above the 3rd floor if you want to have a view. Many corner rooms have views of both dow...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
WSoBeGM, General Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would first like to say thank you for returning to W South Beach for a second time! We are delighted you enjoyed your fabulous room and every aspect of your visit. We know the 3rd time around you will continue to be charmed!

We look forward to creating more fun memories with you soon.

Holmdel, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

I was torn between SLS and the Delano and the W so I made the phone calls. Ivana convinced me to stay at the W and I wouldn't be disappointed She advised me how to book because I wanted the mega suite with the pool I was worried about the other reviews of this suite being shabby and tattered so I called Amex platinum and they called on my behalf to be sure I was in a soft renovated room... Someone named Caesar was supposed to see to it but that never happened and I never heard from this guy even after I called him a few times. I must have asked 20 times. Anyway it doesn't really matter because the truth is even if the upper level is weather beaten, you'd probably not use it much anyway but they really need to renovate them. Every time I called I got a different story about this. The only person was Ivana. She remembered me and made it all right. She remembered our anniversary and went above and beyond to make our stay so wonderful that we wouldn't go anywhere else every time we visit Miami. I can't thank her enough for all she did, she is truly an asset to this property. The staff here all ready to do whatever whenever you want. The pool is outstanding and the waitstaff there works hard to make sure that your day is perfect. They remember your name and greet you at every corner. Even Alex who opens the front door so sweetly remembers your name. The DJ is great especially the guy on Fridays.
We checked out the SLS and the Delano while we were there and so glad we chose the W.
you won't be sorry,

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor Community. Ivana is great, we recieve wonderful feedback on her often, and it's great to know that because of her you will be returning to W South Beach. We appreciate your loyalty and thank you for your patronage!

Weston, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed 4 nights for the July 4th holiday. The hotel is absolutely breathtaking in design, layout and style. This is a very special place in terms of the over-the-top design cues, artwork and vibe. The rooms are also spacious and gorgeous. We stayed in a Mega Suite, which is more of a two story studio. We did not get to enjoy the 2nd story as much as we had planned because of deafening neighboring construction noise, no grill as advertised and non-operating outdoor TV (not that we spent much time watching television). The hotel has a great dining option with The Dutch. Everything we ate there was excellent. The poolside food was also very good and came quickly. Overall, the service was very good. Unlike some other reviewers, we had no experience with any delays or negative attitudes from the Staff. Everyone seemed very eager to please. We spent one late evening at their nightclub, Wall. It was definitely a fun place, but nothing special if you frequent Mega Clubs like Liv or Story. If you get a room anywhere near the nightclub, expect to hear pounding bass until 4 a.m. Our room was right above it, and the walls were shaking all night. Fortunately, this is not an issue for my wife and I.

We spent a large amount of time hanging out by the pool as we were focusing on maximum R&R. If you want a chair, and are not planning on purchasing a cabana, it is imperative that you head down by 9 a.m. at the latest. There are simply not enough chairs at the main pool to accommodate all the guests. When the pool was overcrowded, we went to the full service beach area. The cocktails were worth every penny, especially in the Living Room Lounge. We also went to the Spa, Bliss, which was somewhat small and limited in amenities. The vibe and decor was very cool, and the massage I had was very good.

One other caveat - this place is not "party central". That title would go to the SLS Hotel from what we experienced. There were a good number of families at The W, and the resort does not restrict children's access to any particular areas. Do not expect a couple's retreat that awaits. Expect a mix of singles, couples, business travelers and families.

We never got tired of taking in the great atmosphere, people watching and socializing, and different public areas to enjoy. I think my favorite was The Grove, a small but meandering central park filled with comfy seating, outdoor art and a relaxing vibe. But the lobby is also a great location to take it all in.

The only reason why this property does not deserve the highest rating is the value. Everything was extra charge and overpriced. Not outrageous, but just too high in my opinion. Otherwise, The W has bigger rooms than most of the other South Beach resorts, has a moderate scene that is both relaxing and fun at the same time and offers enough high-end amenities to satisfy most travelers. Not to be missed.

Room Tip: Budget permitting, look to stay in one of the rooms that directly faces the pool and Ocean. Otherwi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a great, detailed review. We appreciate the time you have dedicated to ensuring that the Trip Advisor Community can know the positive and constructive portions of your visit. We are currently in the process of rennovating our Mega Suites, so hopefully the next time you visit all items in the deck will be in working condition, and we apologize for this inconvenience.

Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to see you soon!