“It grew on us. Could do better for the price they charge.” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added W South Beach to your Saves list
WHotels.com Priceline.com
W South Beach
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2201 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #45 of 197 hotels in Miami Beach
San Francisco, California
“It grew on us. Could do better for the price they charge.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I stayed 4 nights at W South beach with my wife and daughter. We split our stay in Miami between W South Beach and Fontainebleau to make it more fun, and because it was more cost effective that way.

With regard to W hotels, you like them or you don’t. They are like a club with accommodation services rather than the other way around. And they also give you the Miami club attitude. It is a privilege for you to stay there, not the other way around. Depending how much you like the hype and/or can tolerate the attitude will significantly change your view on the hotel.
We had booked a one-bedroom Oasis suite, and we got upgraded to a 2-bedroom suite because of my platinum status. I got fooled by the hotel’s definition of “ocean view” which means that it is not “ocean front”. All rooms at W are ocean view, which means partial ocean view. My disappointment was that our 2-bedroom suite was facing a large building that undergoing heavy duty remodeling or maybe they are bring the building down. In any event no pleasant view. I asked if I could have the original suite I had booked, but the answer was No! So I was forced to an undesirable “upgrade”. At Fontainebleau I had made a reservation through Hotwire for dirt cheap and was able to upgrade that to a gigantic ocean front suite with balcony for like $200 extra per night. At W, none of that. Granted that they had limited availability. But they did have their bungalows available, for which they wanted to charge me $700 extra per night, even with my platinum status and clearly unhappy face. My answer to that: you must be kidding me!!!
Whenever I can, I stay at St Regis hotels who go out of their way to make you happy, and I don’t deal very well with the kind of attitude they gave us.

This said, the place grew on us though. It definitely has a more upper class clientele than Fontainebleau, and everything is a lot more expensive. If you ask yourself objectively why things are more expensive, I think the only valid answer is “because they think they can.”

I read some the complaints and reviews about the chairs by the pool. In all fairness, we didn’t have any problems. You have to play the game, go early and tip the guys and you won’t have any problems. In addition, there are countless chairs by the beach.
Some reviewers had complained about a fee per chair. That is incorrect. You may be entitled to a limited number (2) of chairs per guest, but we didn’t have to pay for chairs or umbrellas.

One more comment regarding St. Regis Bal Harbour: As stated above, I usually stay at St. Regis hotels. Bal Harbour is the exception. Despite the unbeatable service, we found the hotel to resemble a large bloc of concrete, with limited grounds and fun. If you ask the concierge for a car rental, their first question is if you want a Bentley or a Ferrari.
So where to stay in Miami?
I’m not sure. Of course it depends who you are, and what you expect, and how much you want to party.
For our family, we found Fontainebleau to offer the most value for our money.

I hope you guys will find this helpful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
WSoBe, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Hello js_paris44,

Thank you for your feedback. We love our SPG Platinum Members and greatly appreciate your dedication to Starwood Hotels. We want to apologize for the service you received. Your comfort and satisfaction is very important to us. We will be sending your feedback to our Hotel Manager to address the service issue. We would love to speak with you more if you could please send us your contact information to wsobesocial@whtoels.com.

1,199 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Obviously the hotel is to my liking now that I will be there for a 3rd time this weekend. My husband really likes it there..the rooms are beautiful...will admit the room was nicer the first time ,I had a better room with better view and better décor...I guess not all rooms are dressed up the same...hoping that this time the room is nicer than last year.

Also, both years there were fake charges on my bill upon checkout..but those were quickly fixed once we pointed that out ( I think another patron charged their order to out room the first time...) so I do say..watch the charges on your bill before checking out!

Mr. Chow is a lovely restaurant..you should check it out if you want to experience a fancy Chinese restaurant. It is entertaining as well.

The beach and pool are amazing..all in all you cannot go wrong with this hotel. Minor issues that were quickly fixed. We almost booked at a new hotel in South Beach..but are sticking with the W, 3rd time is always a charm!

Room Tip: Ocean view!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Joanna M,

Thank you for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back. We would love to help with Whatever/Whenever you may need. Please email us at wsobesocial@whotels.com and we will get back to you right away.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Took my wife on my biz trip to Miami ...had a great time at W hotel....very comfortable...people were great......they upgraded me....I am big Starwood user........did not eat at Mr Chows ...looked cool.......there are a lot of great looking women around this place.......unbeleivable

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hello Mroth,

Thank you for your review. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and felt at home. We would like to thank you for your dedication to Starwood Hotels & Resorts and hope you will come visit us again soon. Please send us an email with Whatever/Whenever you need on your next stay, wsobesocial@whotels.com.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

It was my first stay at a W and I wanted to see what all the hype was about. I can tell you I walked out of there even happier than I walked in. The staff was so friendly, always calling you by your name. They go above and beyond to make sure you have everything you need. We got upgraded to a king size ocean view room which was spectacular. Up to date, modern décor makes you feel like you are actually staying somewhere nice. We also ate at Mr. Chow's which is in the lobby and had a great time there. We mainly walked everywhere to the strip and the location was great. You do have to pay for parking overnight. I loved my stay at the W, South Beach and would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello SK01155019,

Thank you for your review. We do have the perfect location to relax on our beach or walk to many of South Beach’s attractions. We love giving our guests our signature Whatever/Whenever service to make each stay unique. We hope you will visit us again soon and please email when you plan your next escape, wsobesocial@whotels.com.

washington dc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Enjoyed staying for three night at w south beach. Was upgraded from the beginning to very nice suite. Great beach great pool Staff was very friendly and accommodating. Rooms are very nice condo style. Nicest place I have stayed in south beach. Blows away the ritz carlton

• Stayed May 2013
Hello AmerigoWashingtonDc,

Thank you for your review. We are so happy you stayed with us and enjoyed your oversized suite. We do offer the largest rooms in South Beach with private a balcony on every room. We take pride in the service we provide our guests and will be sending your review to our Hotel Manager to share with our hotel staff. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Washington, D.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

It's been awhile since I stayed at this property which is back when it first opened. I often go with starwood properties for work and decided on a two night leisure stay using an upgrade certificate. I was pleasantly surprised to get the upgrade to their Oasis Suite. Easy check-in at the front desk. We opted for the platinum breakfast which was with in-room dining. The suite was on the 15th floor with an oceanview. I found the suite to be top-notch with most everything you'd want. Full kitchen was nice although I had no intention on dining-in. We did ask the concierge to help us with reservations and a nice table at Mr. Chow's restaurant. That came through very well and we enjoyed our dinner there. The workout room is very well equipped with cardio, equipment and free weights. My stay was very pleasant. My "one better" would be for the staff not to knock on the door when you have the do not disturb sign. Housekeeping knocked on the door to ask when I plan to leave --- this was prior to checkout time. Gives you a feeling that you're being rushed. A simple message on the phone system would suffice. Outside of that, a perfect stay and I look forward to returning.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
WSoBe, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Hello MaxTraveller,

Thank you for your review. We are so happy you stayed with us and we love our SPG Members. We do have the largest rooms in South Beach with a private balcony on every room. We would like to apologize for the disturbance on the day of your departure. We would love to speak with you in regards to your stay. Please email us at wsobesocial@whotels.com and we will get back to you right away.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I am a Gold SPG member and I reserved a spectacular room in W South Beach in May 2013.
It's a 4 Star Hotel and it's a 3.5 star hotel with 3/5 star service.

The location of the hotel is great. Away from Ocean Drive and 'busy' hotels from Collins Ave. The beach section was beautiful. Pool is great and gym is well equipped! Room is nicely decorated. My kind of room. I was offered an upgrade to fantastic suite on 15th floor (not 17 nor 18th floor I requested). View is to die for!

Remember, this is a hotel that charges me $350 per night and I stayed there for 6 nights.

The bed is way too soft and I ended up a severe back pain after 2 nights. Awful

Remember all the extra hidden charges, $15 per day for wifi, umbrella in beach $15, large bed in beach $30. Shelter area in pool $150. I laughed... Paid so much for a room already and they are expecting us to pay more for the utilities!

Service is great. Nice people. So many people complaining in reception and forced the others to wait and wait and wait to be served. You do wonder why so many people complain!?!?! The receptionists clearly fed up when she start to serve me, so I didn't give her a hard time. Afterall it's MY VACATION and I dont want to ruin it.

Check out, they used the usual 'subject to availability' and did not let us a 4pm check out. So we went out and roller skate instead. Then come back and used their hospitality suite prior going to MIA and return to London. The hospitality suite is a joke. I was being hurried by another guest when I was having a shower. Does W only have ONE hospitality suite?

Overall, it's a good 3.5 star hotel. I won't say it's worth $350 per night. The other hotel experience from other hotel chain are definitely much better!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
WSoBe, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Hello DrSYu,

Thank you for your review and feedback. We are so happy you stayed with us and we do love our SPG Members. We are so happy you enjoyed you suite and view. We try to offer a late check-out when available to our SPG Members to show appreciation of your business. We hope you will consider us on your next escape and please let us know Whatever/Whenever you may need, wsobesocial@whotels.com.

Best Regards,

Been to W South Beach? Share your experiences!