“Not the service you'd expect from W (or any hotel at this price)” 3 of 5 stars
Review of W South Beach

Save Saved
You added W South Beach to your Saves list
W South Beach
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2201 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #26 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Los Gatos, California
“Not the service you'd expect from W (or any hotel at this price)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

My family and I stayed one night at the W South Beach, prior to our cruise. We chose this hotel primarily because our loyalty to Starwood (husband is a Platinum member), our previous great experience with other W properties, and its location (first time in South Beach). The location did not disappoint - although it's located on the north end of South Beach, it's not a long walk to the center of all actions.
We got to the hotel around 10:30am due our our red-eye flight from the west coast, and as expected, our room was not available. Since we traveled with kids this time, we'd really like the additional space so we asked if a suite would be available for complimentary upgrade (perks for Platinum members). The front desk lady immediately responded that the hotel was fully occupied and no upgrade was available. We then asked for a room with double beds, which she also said was not available. She did not even TRY to see what was available, but immediately gave the canned answer of "fully occupied, not available". Oh well, it was only for one night and we'd deal. She promised that she would get the housekeeping to our room and have it ready soon.
2 hours later we returned to the hotel after lunch and our room was still not ready, so we took the hospitality suite in the meantime. Little did we know that we'd spend the entire afternoon cooked up in the hospitality suite. During the afternoon we called the front office 2x and each time they promised the room would be available within 45 mins and would call us when it was ready, and nobody ever called us back. Throughout the afternoon other parties came and left (it was a shared room) and my family stayed there the whole time hoping our own room would be ready soon. By 5pm my husband called the front desk asking to speak to a manager, and finally someone was able to make something happen. The manager found us an Oasis suite (sure that wasn't available earlier...) and had the room ready 30mins later.
Things went fine after we got into our room - extra towels were quickly brought to the room with a follow-up call from the concierge to make sure that it was done. The suite was a handicapped room but we didn't mind it. It had 2 balconies with a side view of the ocean which was very nice. Although we stayed on a Friday night, I did not hear a lot of noise from the club. There were sirens from the main street, but it didn't bother us (I think we were just too tired). The hotel mistakenly charged us a few for the snack bar in the final portfolio, which we are still trying to dispute.
I do not think the entire experience was that horrible, but given the amount they charge for the room, it not worth the price or the brand. A hotel room is a hotel room and it is the level of service that sets a hotel apart from another. The room itself was worth 4-star but I knocked off another star simply because it didn't deliver the service/value I expected from W (or any other hotel for the price/category).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
WSoBe, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Hello Xfer2,

Thank you for your review. We are at the perfect location in South Beach for a relaxing day at the beach or a short walk to many of South Beach’s attractions. We would like to apologize for the service you received during our check-in. Your comfort is very important to us and we will be sending your feedback to our Hotel Manager to address our Service Culture. We would love to speak with you in regards to your stay and also help with the charge from our Munchie Box. Please send us your contact information to wsobesocial@whotels.com and we would be happy to help.

1,464 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

It's well-known that W South Beach is not only one of the city's, but also the world's, most beautiful properties, whether as a travel destination or as an event location. But what I was truly blown away by was the level of professionalism and consideration the catering team (particularly Cristina, Isaac and Virginia) has shown me event after event. I started out working with them on various smaller events, each one going off without a hitch. So when deciding on a location for my wedding, W South Beach was our obvious first choice. I expected the same level of sophistication and attention as I received with the other events, only to be even more amazed by how above and beyond Cristina (who is in charge of weddings) went for us. She took time to really understand what our dream wedding would look like and how she could achieve it within our budget. As wedding planning goes, we made her jump through a million hoops, and she did so each time with grace and a smile. My fiancé and I really felt like she was on our side!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
WSoBe, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Hello 305andrew,

Thank you for your review and your recommendation. We were so happy to be able to celebrate your special day with you and your family. We take great pride in the service we provide our guests and will be sharing your shout-outs of Cristina and Virginia with our Hotel Manager to share with our Hotel Staff. We hope to welcome you back again soon and please let us know Whatever/Whenever you need on your next escape.

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed here in April. The hotel is a great building in a good location w/very good facilities - pool, restaurants, gym, rooms, etc. However, the service is challenging and there is a massive construction project on the building to the south (construction starts promptly at 8am and is very very loud.)

Given the price of the rooms (very expensive) and the cost of everything else (internet $15/day, breakfast is very expensive, dinner for one at the chinese restaurant is $150, laundry, etc, etc) I would have expected professional service and some form of notification about the construction project.

If you stay - make sure you get a room on the North side (even room numbers.)

Room Tip: Get a room high up on the north side. Avoid the rooms on the South side and avoid the rooms over th...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
WSoBe, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Hello DDO89,

Thank you for your review. We do have the perfect beach front location with a short walk to many of South Beach’s attractions. We would like to apologize for the construction noise you experienced during your stay. We are keeping a close eye on the hotel next to us and their construction schedule. We would like to speak with you more in regards to the service you received with us. Please send us your contact information to wsobesocial@whotels.com and we will get back to you right away.

Playa del Carmen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

This hotel has an amazing Location. Right next to everything. What I love about it is that the restaurants are very good and you can actually get a good breakfast. The terrace downstairs is a great place for Brunch.
The good thing about this place is that even though it is a party hotel the rooms are so high up it does not bother you, as opposed to other South Beach hotels that are so small you feel like you are sleeping on the dance floor.
Did not use Spa so nothing to say.
Rooms are excellent and good size, well appointed and bed is unbelievable comfy!
The only negative which is why I give it 4* is that once you leave resort after they close the main entrance to the public you become one more trying to fight to get in... even though you do not want to get into the clubs. They treat you like one more wannabe partyer not as a hotel Guest.
I have been to many hotels in South Beach and to be honest, this so far is my favourite because of the good rooms and good food.

Room Tip: The Higher the better.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
WSoBe, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Hello Albalboy,

Thank you for your review. We do have a great location with a short walk to many of South Beach’s attractions. The Dutch and Mr Chow offer amazing creations to make any day perfect from start to finish. We would like to apologize for the problem when trying to enter the hotel at night. Your security and safety is very important to us which is why we require verification. But we understand you frustration and we will be sending your feedback to our Hotel Manager to address. We hope to welcome you back again soon and please let us know Whatever/Whenever you need.

North Palm Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My wife and I have stayed at this property numerous occasions the last four years. I have to say that it's just getting worse and worse and the last time we had such a bad experience we will not return to any W.

The hotel has a great potential with its location and design of the hotel, but you would expect when you pay quite a lot that they would try to keep the standard. When arriving in the room, windows are very dirty, balcony has not been cleaned (Old news papers, half eaten chocolate etc)

We where supposed to stay for 3 nights, but we couldn't as they had a night club close to our room so we couldn't sleep. When pointing this out, they where not willing to find a solution.

I always liked W and find their contemporary innovation very fresh, but you should also expect some minimum standard.

Our love story with W is over

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Peter P,

Thank you for your feedback. We would like to apologize for the lack of service you received during your stay. We greatly appreciate you as our guest and will send your feedback to our General Manager to address our service. We would love to speak with you more in regards to your last stay and past stays with us. Please send us an email with your contact information and we will get back to you right away, wsobesocial@whotels.com.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I visited South Beach on my own for a few days in October. Being alone- I was looking for a place centrally located and upbeat. I had stayed at the W South beach a few years prior and decided to stay there again. As a Platinum Starwood member I was treated wonderfully. I had a personal concierge whom I could call prior to my visit and during for anything I needed- reservations for dinner, services, etc.... When I arrived I was upgraded to a beautiful 1200 sq ft suite- I did not want to leave. The suite was spacious and spotless, felt like my home. The bar downstairs very enjoyble and I was able to walk everywhere from the hotel- no cabs needed! The beach was beautiful and the service on the beach was excellent. I truly felt like a VIP. I recently visited South Beach again and stayed elsewhere.... that won't happen again!

Room Tip: Choose a high level floor to avoid the noise on the street below
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Hello Michele L,

Thank you for your review. We were sad you didn’t stay with us on your most recent trip to South Beach but we look forward to welcoming you on your next. We do have a great location and easy walking distance to many of South Beach’s sites. Our Living Room Bar is the perfect place to relax and SIP on handcrafted cocktails from the best Bar Chefs in the area. Please let us know when you plan your next escape and Whatever/Whenever you may need.

Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Well I'm not sure what all the complaints are about...This place made me feel like a movie star. and to prove my point, mark wahlberg was staying there with his family and by the pool every day! The dining in The Dutch (hotel restaurant) was always as fantastic as its Soho location. Breakfast was a real treat every morning. The beach was stretching and superb....but you have to shell out for an umbrella, which is kind of a gauge after paying over 600 per night! The pool bar and cocktails were some of the best I ever had..and the lobby service was always exceptional. I would go back, but there may be some cheaper options I would consider before rebooking...location is also great....this hotel was a real treat!!

Room Tip: I believe they're all ocean view! so you can't really go wrong!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Hello Jennifer G,

Thank you for your review. We were so happy to welcome you on your special escape. We want each stay to be unique and help you enjoy all the sites of South Beach. The Dutch is an amazing restaurant and Andrew Carmellini’s creations are unmatched. We look forward to welcoming you back again and please let us know Whatever/Whenever you need.

Best Regards,

Been to W South Beach? Share your experiences!