“Perfect place to relax” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W South Beach

Save Saved
You added W South Beach to your Saves list
W South Beach
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2201 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #25 of 201 hotels in Miami Beach
Boston, Massachusetts
“Perfect place to relax”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

No doubt my experience was influenced by being SPG Platinum. But for the two stays I had - I had a great near perfect time. Each time in the same type of suite. The check in desk was never that busy and they all seemed very motivated to be helpful even if a room wasn't immediately ready. And the room/ suite was great with that warm sun drenched balcony. The bose system on the desk was also great to amplify the Spotify on the laptop. A toilet wasn't working at arrival - the plumber was up in minutes. Massive bathroom. Love the multiple shower heads. Didn't eat at either hotel restaurant - from the reviews on here it is easy to do better a short walk away. One off note - one of us had an allergic skin reaction to one of the couch surfaces - had to cover them up with bed sheets to sit on them! But not much the hotel could do...

Cannot wait till I have the chance to return.

Room Tip: Balcony facing south -
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

It's great to know that you had such a great visit, especially coming from one of our valued SPG Platinum members! I am so sorry to hear that you got an allergic reaction, I trust that you are ok! Please let us know when your travels bring you back. Happy new year!

1,447 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
office
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We have stayed on South Beach every Christmas for the last 10 years and twice before at the W. This hotel keeps getter better and better. Bar none this is the BEST service we have had anywhere in the world. I've read some of the other reviews and honestly, we did not experience anything but superb service. Yes, there were a few misses in no turndown for two nights but that was the only misstep that I can identify. Every employee that we came in contact with had the W spirit. Our concierges, Shakasta and Vicki, were pros and check-in went so smoothly especially since I wanted a bathtub which is not easy to find in many new hotels. Also, the "insider" was very helpful in us securing dinner reservations in a high-demand restaurant. The GM should be commended on finding the "talent" to create this hospitable environment. Special shout out to Courntey and the gang at the beach. They do an awesome job in satifying everyone's needs in a very timely manner. The Dutch bus on the beach might not be pretty but it's brilliant in providing beach food that's fresh and timely.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the nightculb. Also our room was on the city side - can hear street noice but you...
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your continued patronage and support every year! It's great to know that the service gets better and better each time you visit. Thank you for posting such a lovely review, we look forward to welcoming you back later in the year!

seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

As an SPG gold member and a veteran in the hospitality business, I can assure you that no amount of money or points is worth it at the W South Beach. Not only did our room have a list of issues -- it was obvious that the "supervisor" who was checking our room (while we waited an hour) missed it by a lot. From a dirty robe in the closet, no trash cans in the room, only decaf coffee, bathroom flooded every time we showered, keys stopped working after one day, a $35 charge to use a basketball that was never disclosed, then the kicker is the email folio supposedly from the GM but no signature. Very classy. Stay at the Ritz where they know service!

• Stayed December 2012
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to learn that your stay was less than exceptional, and I would like to apologize that your room was in sub par conditions upon arrival. I have shared your review with my housekeeping staff to ensure that the team gets a refresher training on passing rooms ready for guest use. For the folio GM email, this is automatically generated through Starwood, however if you do respond to the email address it goes straight to my email box.

Thanks again for your feedback and I apologize once again for the inconveniences you endured.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I'm doing this review based on being a platinum member of SPG for 3 years, this being a SPG Category 7 Hotel and room rates starting around $620 a night. I’m comparing this hotel to other SPG Category 6 hotels.

You might like this hotel if you like the W Hollywood.

1st thing, Pool wars.. All the sunbeds that face the sun will be gone by 6:50am, all other sunbeds will be gone by 8am. The pool team tell you to come down when they open from 7am to get your beds, but the fight to get your sun beds stats at 6:30am.

They also say that if you leave your bed for long then 1 hour that they will take it back. We watched for two day that this was not enforced. Most the sunbeds where empty till 12/1pm. Customer had to put then self’s on a waiting list to get a bed, but very few beds where taken back.

Only way to get your way by the pool is with a good tip to the staff.

2nd Finish in our room was very average and cheap. This is normal for a lot of the older W’s, but the W South Beach is just as cheaply made as the W Hollywood both of which built brand new. It should be at the same level as the W Hong Kong or W Istanbul. Only amazing thing about the room is the view. Which it should be when you have starting rates of $620.
I think taken a 2nd hand showerhead from a Four Point Sheraton

3rd want to pay for a cabanas, but told have to wait till next year.

4th You got the beach option, yep the beach is a bit easier to get a bed. Nice… But going to have to wait 1 hour to get a drink. Should learn something from the W Barcelona.

5th Being cheap on Bliss, this hotel really trying to hold back on giving you Bliss products… They should learn something from the W London who give you double size bottles.

6th SPG Platinum don’t get much, we got the offer for breakfast. But they only let you it as room service (why do want to eat in my room, when want to eat by the pool) and will not apply a credit to your bill if you want to eat elsewhere in the hotel. Should be more like St. Regis Monarch Beach. The breakfast did not look to bad.

The W Westwood give SPG Platinum two bottles of Fiji… other get discounts at the bar or restaurant.

7th Waiting for your cars takes hours, nobody from the Hotel is managing parking and way too few staff.

8th Need more staff everywhere.

The good stuff
1) Big gym, with lots of stuff (but sure the bench press is 2nd hand)
2) The view from the room
3) For 30,000 points a night is good value for SPG Points
4) Got some nice fresh drinks on the menu
5) The only options in South beach

Some FYI, if you planning on booking… If going to pay the prices for your private pool, make sure you know that the people in the cheaper rooms can look down at you from above.

Also, everything at the hotel going to cost you a lot, unless you enjoy drinking beer only. I think beer is the cheapest option. But this fine being a CAT7 hotel

I would stay here again if i'm using my points or points+cash

WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you outlining the details of your trip, both positive and challenging opportunities. I would like to take a moment to apologize for the inconveniences you endured, and with the details you provided I can go back to my team to ensure we work on these opportunities so future guests can have an exceptional experience overall. If your travels bring you back to Miami Beach, please contact me directly and I would like to assure you that your next visit will be your best hotel stay yet, anywhere!

Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed on the condominium side of the W for a little over $1,000.00 per night. Our awful experience started with check in. We waited in line for 30 minutes BEFORE being told there was a completely different area for the condo check in. We go to that desk and wait another 20 minutes for someone to show up. We finally get to our room and it has only a couple towels, no soap, no shampoo etc. We call housekeeping and they say sorry we don't offer service to the condo's. So for over a grand a night we had no room service, no towels, and no soap. BE WARNED. Further, the staff at the pool was mediocre at best. Ritz Carlton needs to give these people lessons.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. Regretfully the condominiums are not part of the hotel inventory...they are individually owned units, perhaps you rented your unit directly from an owner versus Starwood itself? When a unit is individually owned and rented, the owner is responsible for providing all of the guest amenities including soap, towels, sheets, etc. Hope this sheds some light.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Stay for vacation in this superb Starwood property. It fits perfectly in the W spirit: Whatever, Whenever. Perfectly located on South Beach, the style modern and trendy, wiht the right luxury touch, make this hotel the ideal place to stay in Miami.
Excellent concierge service. Just a little problem with room service on the phone, and it was minor. For the rest, just one word: Perfect!
Rooms are superb, spacious. Suite provide kitchen and laundry. Ambiance is fantastic. Excellent amenities.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

So happy to hear that you had such a superb visit! Thank you for sharing this on Trip Advisor. I am so sorry to hear that you had a minor inconvenience with your phones and room service. I trust that our team quickly rectified the problem.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the new year!

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

We walked into this hotel looking for 2 rooms for 6 nights each but we were very hungry and decided to visit The Dutch for breakfast before booking our rooms for after our cruise.

Unfortunately, due to a horrible and very dodgy experience in the hotel restaurant, we had to leave and left never wanting to visit a W Hotel again.

We ordered 3 breakfast tables which is the buffet option which 'includes coffee' as written on the menu. So, when the waiter asked for our drink menu we ordered 3 espressos and then he went to get them. By the time we finished out meal, we had ordered 2 additional coffees and so had consumed 5 in total. To our surprise the coffee was listed as an additional amount on our bill, not included as mentioned on the menu. Furthermore, the coffee was $8 per coffee. I queried the bill. This was the worst part, the waiter smiled as though he was proud of himself that he had scammed us into spending $40 on 5 coffees when he said 'oh haha the espressos are not included'. I felt so ripped off and angry, but I'm not a dodgy person so I paid the bill.

Be very careful when visiting this hotel. We decide not to book there because of this and stayed at Lowes nearby which is actually much nicer and more affordable. By far the better option based on value alone, let alone honesty of their staff.

I travel regularly and stay at many W Hotels however, this will be my final visit. What a slap in the face for the tens of thousands of dollars I have spent with your brand over the years. I'm disgusted.

I was so forced to pay 18% gratuity to that waiter who laughed in my face, that felt very good - not.

• Stayed December 2012
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am mortified to read your review on The Dutch. Please contact me at gm.wsobe@whotels.com and I will ensure that our Director of Food and Beverage gets in touch with you right away.

W SoBe GM

Been to W South Beach? Share your experiences!