“If you love the W Hollywood going to love this place” 2 of 5 stars
Review of W South Beach

Save Saved
You added W South Beach to your Saves list
W South Beach
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2201 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #20 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
London, United Kingdom
“If you love the W Hollywood going to love this place”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I'm doing this review based on being a platinum member of SPG for 3 years, this being a SPG Category 7 Hotel and room rates starting around $620 a night. I’m comparing this hotel to other SPG Category 6 hotels.

You might like this hotel if you like the W Hollywood.

1st thing, Pool wars.. All the sunbeds that face the sun will be gone by 6:50am, all other sunbeds will be gone by 8am. The pool team tell you to come down when they open from 7am to get your beds, but the fight to get your sun beds stats at 6:30am.

They also say that if you leave your bed for long then 1 hour that they will take it back. We watched for two day that this was not enforced. Most the sunbeds where empty till 12/1pm. Customer had to put then self’s on a waiting list to get a bed, but very few beds where taken back.

Only way to get your way by the pool is with a good tip to the staff.

2nd Finish in our room was very average and cheap. This is normal for a lot of the older W’s, but the W South Beach is just as cheaply made as the W Hollywood both of which built brand new. It should be at the same level as the W Hong Kong or W Istanbul. Only amazing thing about the room is the view. Which it should be when you have starting rates of $620.
I think taken a 2nd hand showerhead from a Four Point Sheraton

3rd want to pay for a cabanas, but told have to wait till next year.

4th You got the beach option, yep the beach is a bit easier to get a bed. Nice… But going to have to wait 1 hour to get a drink. Should learn something from the W Barcelona.

5th Being cheap on Bliss, this hotel really trying to hold back on giving you Bliss products… They should learn something from the W London who give you double size bottles.

6th SPG Platinum don’t get much, we got the offer for breakfast. But they only let you it as room service (why do want to eat in my room, when want to eat by the pool) and will not apply a credit to your bill if you want to eat elsewhere in the hotel. Should be more like St. Regis Monarch Beach. The breakfast did not look to bad.

The W Westwood give SPG Platinum two bottles of Fiji… other get discounts at the bar or restaurant.

7th Waiting for your cars takes hours, nobody from the Hotel is managing parking and way too few staff.

8th Need more staff everywhere.

The good stuff
1) Big gym, with lots of stuff (but sure the bench press is 2nd hand)
2) The view from the room
3) For 30,000 points a night is good value for SPG Points
4) Got some nice fresh drinks on the menu
5) The only options in South beach

Some FYI, if you planning on booking… If going to pay the prices for your private pool, make sure you know that the people in the cheaper rooms can look down at you from above.

Also, everything at the hotel going to cost you a lot, unless you enjoy drinking beer only. I think beer is the cheapest option. But this fine being a CAT7 hotel

I would stay here again if i'm using my points or points+cash

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you outlining the details of your trip, both positive and challenging opportunities. I would like to take a moment to apologize for the inconveniences you endured, and with the details you provided I can go back to my team to ensure we work on these opportunities so future guests can have an exceptional experience overall. If your travels bring you back to Miami Beach, please contact me directly and I would like to assure you that your next visit will be your best hotel stay yet, anywhere!

W SoBe GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed on the condominium side of the W for a little over $1,000.00 per night. Our awful experience started with check in. We waited in line for 30 minutes BEFORE being told there was a completely different area for the condo check in. We go to that desk and wait another 20 minutes for someone to show up. We finally get to our room and it has only a couple towels, no soap, no shampoo etc. We call housekeeping and they say sorry we don't offer service to the condo's. So for over a grand a night we had no room service, no towels, and no soap. BE WARNED. Further, the staff at the pool was mediocre at best. Ritz Carlton needs to give these people lessons.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. Regretfully the condominiums are not part of the hotel inventory...they are individually owned units, perhaps you rented your unit directly from an owner versus Starwood itself? When a unit is individually owned and rented, the owner is responsible for providing all of the guest amenities including soap, towels, sheets, etc. Hope this sheds some light.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Stay for vacation in this superb Starwood property. It fits perfectly in the W spirit: Whatever, Whenever. Perfectly located on South Beach, the style modern and trendy, wiht the right luxury touch, make this hotel the ideal place to stay in Miami.
Excellent concierge service. Just a little problem with room service on the phone, and it was minor. For the rest, just one word: Perfect!
Rooms are superb, spacious. Suite provide kitchen and laundry. Ambiance is fantastic. Excellent amenities.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

So happy to hear that you had such a superb visit! Thank you for sharing this on Trip Advisor. I am so sorry to hear that you had a minor inconvenience with your phones and room service. I trust that our team quickly rectified the problem.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the new year!

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

We walked into this hotel looking for 2 rooms for 6 nights each but we were very hungry and decided to visit The Dutch for breakfast before booking our rooms for after our cruise.

Unfortunately, due to a horrible and very dodgy experience in the hotel restaurant, we had to leave and left never wanting to visit a W Hotel again.

We ordered 3 breakfast tables which is the buffet option which 'includes coffee' as written on the menu. So, when the waiter asked for our drink menu we ordered 3 espressos and then he went to get them. By the time we finished out meal, we had ordered 2 additional coffees and so had consumed 5 in total. To our surprise the coffee was listed as an additional amount on our bill, not included as mentioned on the menu. Furthermore, the coffee was $8 per coffee. I queried the bill. This was the worst part, the waiter smiled as though he was proud of himself that he had scammed us into spending $40 on 5 coffees when he said 'oh haha the espressos are not included'. I felt so ripped off and angry, but I'm not a dodgy person so I paid the bill.

Be very careful when visiting this hotel. We decide not to book there because of this and stayed at Lowes nearby which is actually much nicer and more affordable. By far the better option based on value alone, let alone honesty of their staff.

I travel regularly and stay at many W Hotels however, this will be my final visit. What a slap in the face for the tens of thousands of dollars I have spent with your brand over the years. I'm disgusted.

I was so forced to pay 18% gratuity to that waiter who laughed in my face, that felt very good - not.

• Stayed December 2012
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am mortified to read your review on The Dutch. Please contact me at gm.wsobe@whotels.com and I will ensure that our Director of Food and Beverage gets in touch with you right away.

NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I stayed at the W South Beach during Art Basel Miami Beach 2012 (December 4-9), all I can say is: this is the way a hotel should be run. The rooms (back to back reservations with different rooms), were updated, clean and neat, ready on time, and the move was seamless. Hotel staff is very friendly and eager to help. I had multiple packages shipped to the hotel, all were delivered to my room immediately upon arrival at the hotel; phone requests from my room were responded to within minutes, and they went beyond what was required (helping with packing UPS shipment).

The location is perfect and room views fantastic. This is in addition to the hotel being the "in place to be" in South Beach. I would definitely go back and stay there again.

Room Tip: The Mega Suite, is an unbelievable room with a roof deck, and plunge pool, and superb ocean views, b...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

You came to visit at the best time...Art Basel!! We are so happy you enjoyed the hotel and the fair. WE hope to welcome you back next year again, or hopefully sooner!

lugano
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

We stayed at the W during our last trip to the States in May and i have to say that it was a memorable experience. I would suggest everybody whos travelling to Miami to try this hotel.
Amazing view from all the room!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We are so happy you had an amazing stay with us! Thank you for posting your great review on Trip Advisor. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We stayed at this great hotel during the last week of August, right around the Hurricane Isaac.

To start, location is unbeatable, a few steps from the beach and a short walk to Lincoln Road. Then there's the swimming pool, where we spent most of the time. The rooms are fantastic, spacious and the cleanliness throughout the hotel is amazing.

The staff is one of the best I've ever experienced in such high quality hotel. They were great from the valets to the reception, swimming pool staff, cleaning staff all great! At one point I forgot the keys inside the room and Ryan from the front desk was very prompt in getting is resolved and was also very nice, so much so that my 7 year old daughter wanted to say hi every time we passed by.

In terms of prices for room service and minibar, well, you're at an expensive hotel, so expensive prices are expected.

We will definitely stay there again

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to learn that you had a great stay! How adorable that your 7 year old daughter wanted to stop at the front desk each time to say hello! We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

W SoBe GM

Been to W South Beach? Share your experiences!