“Very Hip........” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W South Beach

Save Saved
You added W South Beach to your Saves list
W South Beach
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2201 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #24 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
East Sussex
“Very Hip........”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This is a very hip and trendy hotel in South Beach, and apparently this is the place to see and be seen. Very cool rooms, loved the colours and decor, and very large balconies. Good location for the beach, and very close to all the good shopping areas. Disappointed with the late check in, seems they do not turn the rooms round very quickly here. I'm not the sort of person who dresses to impress, but if you don't you are made to feel like you don't belong! I've never understood this attitude and do not feel it is necessary! The pool area is great and has a fantastic atmosphere. The spa was OK, smaller than I thought but had a lovely manicure! Overall costs of food etc....was high but then your in South Beach! I just feel this would be a much better place to stay if they chilled out a bit and stopped trying to be the best and only encouraginbg celebrities and people with lots of money!

Room Tip: All rooms seemd very nice to me
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

I am so happy to know that you enjoyed your guest room as well as the decor and oversized balconies our guest rooms offer.

I would like to apologize if you felt uncomfortable with the clientele and ambiance of the hotel, we feel all of our guests are celebrities and VIPs, and this is the service my team strives to provide. I will discuss your experience with my staff to ensure they live up to the standards to exceptional customer and guest service.

W SoBe GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We had booked a Mega Suite and even although we were given the option of an upgrade, this was the one we really wanted because of the outside plunge pool and BBQ area. Big mistake! The room was really not very clean at all, with someone's sequins all over the rug and the table was really dirty and as for the shower human hairs all over it eugh!. The biggest shock was the upstairs area, which was absolutely dreadful to say the least. The outside kitchen area was completely wrecked, with doors hanging off and kitchen tops broken. The plunge pool was absolutely freezing and not very clean and to be honest I don't think this area had been cleaned in months! Also be aware that there is no bath in these rooms either and the spiral metal staircase up to the BBQ area is extremely hazardous and not for the infirm. The hotel seemed pretty okay that it was in this state and we were told that this was a party room!! We showed the uninterested supervisor the room and the outside area and he told me that this was okay and they were eventually going to paint it when the weather cleared. In actual fact all the mega suites and the bungalows are like this apart from only one which he showed me. Also this area gets very little sun so take your diving suit if you dare use the cold dirty plunge pool. On the plus side we were moved to a Marvellous suite which was much cleaner and had obviously just been redecorated. Beautiful views over South Beach. One other worrying fact, apparently the fire alarm went off during the night, we did not hear it but we were woken by the intercom in the ceiling to tell us to go back to our rooms as there was no fire. They obviously don't have a fire evacuation procedure in place which is rather worrying when you are on the six floor without a parachute! Think this hotel really needs to get it's act together and the management really need to be a bit more hands on, staff are quite obviously not clued up on what they are selling or the condition of the rooms. Everything we told them just was greeted by a completely blank disinterested look. Would we stay there again - No Thanks will probably try the Ritz Carlton or the St Regis.

Room Tip: Don't book a Mega Suite or the Bungalows no sun and in unacceptable condition. Book a Marvellous...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. I cannot begin to express my deepest apologies for the condition of your guest room and the lack of service you received from our associates. With the information you provided, I can and will ensure that my team is following the proper protocols for guest room readiness and cleanliness as well as guest services to include re-fresh trainings and utilize your experience as an example. If your travels bring you back to Miami Beach, please let me know and I will be delighted to ensure your next visit is second to none from pre-arrival to departure.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This is my second review of the W South Beach. I've actually stayed here more than 5 times. Every time when I leave, I would tell myself not to come back to this hotel. But it's because of its great location and decent rooms that I always find myself in this hotel when I am in South Beach.

There is something that is NOT right about this hotel!! People working at the front desk somehow get this attitude that they're it!! They deal with celebrities or whoever that they are so superior! They have such an attitude that I cannot stand.

Given my vast experience with this place, you pretty much have to use your suite upgrade to get any kind of room upgrade because they're always full. Regardless of what you can find on spg.com, according to the hotel, the website is wrong and the availability that they have on the website is not accurate! Go figure!

Also, rooms are never ready until at least 3 or 4 pm. Do not expect to check in early!! Also, if you would like a late check out, all I can say is GOOD LUCK!!! Even if you come during low season, they will tell you that someone is waiting for your room even on spg.com they still have rooms of your category to sell but they NEED to have YOUR room for their clients.

They have this so called Acura car service that's very different from other Acura service in other properties. They will only take you to closeby in South beach and no where else. I wanted to go to downtown Miami and the concierge told me that oh...it's too far for us to go but you know we have taxis outside. That's just so condescending! Of course I know there's always taxis, hello ?? If taxis are everything, then why would you have Acura car service ????? That's just so dumb!!!

I chose to have breakfast as my platinum amenity but at the restaurant, they had no clue what you;re talking about. You have to choose continental breakfast and make sure they take it off you bill because it's not automatic.

I was so close to buying a suite in this property and all i can say is THANK GOD I DIDN'T. The management team at this property just DO NOT GET how to treat their customers.
I will NEVER STAY at this property EVER again!!! (it's been a while since I last gave a 1 out of 5!!).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

I do not have words to express my sincerest apologies for the lack of service and inconveniences you endured on your visit, as well as past visits as you described. Thank you for being detailed and descriptive in reference to specific departments, this can help us focus on the areas of opportunity and we can utilize your feedback for quality control. There is always room for growth and opportunity, and with feedback like yours I can ensure that my team heads in an upward direction to have less negative experience and more positive experience. Thank you for your gift of feedback.

Naples, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Everyone here is smiling and asking what they can do for yo. Really first-class service. The hotel is hip and fun. Rooms are spacious. The only reason that I didn't give this five stars is the the lack of soundproofing on the windows, which becomes a problem when the nightclub lets out at 3 a.m. Overall though, a cool, fun place in SB! Just ask for a high floor!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are so happy you enjoyed your visit and that our staff provided you with first class service. This makes me delighted, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Recently returned from a three-night stay in one of the ocean view junior suites. I enjoyed the stay, particularly the location right on the beach and boardwalk, and the really, great pool area. But, be warned. You will overpay for everything. $50 for lunch at the pool pp without alcohol, $30 for breakfast. At least the food items were all quite good. Summary below.

Pros:
-Very big room with kitchenette and private balcony
-Great pool and beach, though weather did not cooperate (too windy to enjoy the beach)
-easy walk to restaurants on Collins or Lincoln
-spotless

Cons:
-felt like they were nickel and diming everything. For nearly $500 per night you'd think they'd at least throw in free wifi or that said wifi would actually work by the pool!
-bizarre decor ( though this is probably a general comment on the w aesthetic)
-lack of in-room privacy. I was staying with a girlfriend and the smoky glass wall of the shower and bathroom door would not be ideal for many non-couple travelers
-restaurants at the hotel just so-so...Mr. Chow is highly overrated.

Room Tip: Better views and more direct sunlight on the south facing rooms overlooking the park.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you breaking down the pros and cons of your visit, this helps us recognize what our guests like yourself appreciate, and it also recognizes the areas of opportunity where we can improve for future guests, as well as yourself for future visits!

Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to see you again!

Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

check in by teutonic friendly swiss was a pleasure, suite excellent and 18th floor as promised on booking. All staff very friendly and helpfull, good location though to far to walk to the restaurants (you might have to walk 15 blocks to the recommendet one). some clientel not up to the hotel, hairdryer fell apart when used, nice Bose audio set up but previous guest damaged the speaker, and when returned to our suite ,we found an empty Champaign bottle on top of the fridge, maybe previous guest emptied it and put it back in the fridge. Some rowdy guest wake us up at 3 a.m. although our door was closed, having some party on their balcony three rooms down the hall, so sound insulation could be better.

Room Tip: look for south side room/suite
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. I am glad to know that you liked the location of your suite on the 18th floor...however I am sorry to hear that your room was not in exceptional condition and there were damaged and used items within your suite. I also would like to apologize that there was surrounding noise that kept you awake. Please let me know when your travels bring you back to Miami Beach and i will be happy to assist with the details of your stay.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

First let me begin by saying that I read a lot of reviews regarding the W South Beach Hotel and I honestly thought it could not be that bad, well....I was dead wrong!
Every negative review that I read was experienced very true. Customer service is very poor and there's a simple disregard to the saying " customer's first".
From the room I reserved to checkin and not be honored that room, to the courtesy Acure Car service, to the smiling front desk rep giving you the most fake smile I've ever seen, ending with no we can't not honor your request for late checkout! What should have been a relaxing 9th year anniversary celebration turned out to be a bitter couple's honor to never stay at this Hotel as long as we both shall live.. Room 335 has no oceanview as advertised and Room 1818 has no bathtub, don't be fooled!!

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

I apologize that you did not have a great anniversary stay with us. I appreciate you taking the time to post your visit on trip advisor, as feedback like yours will only help us improve in the areas of weakness that our guests experience, so we can re train and guide our staff to provide the service that W Hotels are known for.

W SoBe GM

Been to W South Beach? Share your experiences!