“Service is amazing!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W South Beach

Save Saved
You added W South Beach to your Saves list
W South Beach
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2201 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #27 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Naples, Florida
“Service is amazing!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Everyone here is smiling and asking what they can do for yo. Really first-class service. The hotel is hip and fun. Rooms are spacious. The only reason that I didn't give this five stars is the the lack of soundproofing on the windows, which becomes a problem when the nightclub lets out at 3 a.m. Overall though, a cool, fun place in SB! Just ask for a high floor!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are so happy you enjoyed your visit and that our staff provided you with first class service. This makes me delighted, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

1,370 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Recently returned from a three-night stay in one of the ocean view junior suites. I enjoyed the stay, particularly the location right on the beach and boardwalk, and the really, great pool area. But, be warned. You will overpay for everything. $50 for lunch at the pool pp without alcohol, $30 for breakfast. At least the food items were all quite good. Summary below.

Pros:
-Very big room with kitchenette and private balcony
-Great pool and beach, though weather did not cooperate (too windy to enjoy the beach)
-easy walk to restaurants on Collins or Lincoln
-spotless

Cons:
-felt like they were nickel and diming everything. For nearly $500 per night you'd think they'd at least throw in free wifi or that said wifi would actually work by the pool!
-bizarre decor ( though this is probably a general comment on the w aesthetic)
-lack of in-room privacy. I was staying with a girlfriend and the smoky glass wall of the shower and bathroom door would not be ideal for many non-couple travelers
-restaurants at the hotel just so-so...Mr. Chow is highly overrated.

Room Tip: Better views and more direct sunlight on the south facing rooms overlooking the park.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you breaking down the pros and cons of your visit, this helps us recognize what our guests like yourself appreciate, and it also recognizes the areas of opportunity where we can improve for future guests, as well as yourself for future visits!

Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to see you again!

Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

check in by teutonic friendly swiss was a pleasure, suite excellent and 18th floor as promised on booking. All staff very friendly and helpfull, good location though to far to walk to the restaurants (you might have to walk 15 blocks to the recommendet one). some clientel not up to the hotel, hairdryer fell apart when used, nice Bose audio set up but previous guest damaged the speaker, and when returned to our suite ,we found an empty Champaign bottle on top of the fridge, maybe previous guest emptied it and put it back in the fridge. Some rowdy guest wake us up at 3 a.m. although our door was closed, having some party on their balcony three rooms down the hall, so sound insulation could be better.

Room Tip: look for south side room/suite
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. I am glad to know that you liked the location of your suite on the 18th floor...however I am sorry to hear that your room was not in exceptional condition and there were damaged and used items within your suite. I also would like to apologize that there was surrounding noise that kept you awake. Please let me know when your travels bring you back to Miami Beach and i will be happy to assist with the details of your stay.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

First let me begin by saying that I read a lot of reviews regarding the W South Beach Hotel and I honestly thought it could not be that bad, well....I was dead wrong!
Every negative review that I read was experienced very true. Customer service is very poor and there's a simple disregard to the saying " customer's first".
From the room I reserved to checkin and not be honored that room, to the courtesy Acure Car service, to the smiling front desk rep giving you the most fake smile I've ever seen, ending with no we can't not honor your request for late checkout! What should have been a relaxing 9th year anniversary celebration turned out to be a bitter couple's honor to never stay at this Hotel as long as we both shall live.. Room 335 has no oceanview as advertised and Room 1818 has no bathtub, don't be fooled!!

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

I apologize that you did not have a great anniversary stay with us. I appreciate you taking the time to post your visit on trip advisor, as feedback like yours will only help us improve in the areas of weakness that our guests experience, so we can re train and guide our staff to provide the service that W Hotels are known for.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I'll come back and add my review after our stay, but I called to ask them about car services vs. cabs vs. rental cars. So far, very unimpressive. They have a "free car service" to run you out to places, via a partnership with Accura, bookable via their concierge, but - of course - the concierge was jammed and unavailable. Taxi from Ft. Lauderdale, where we're flying in to, down to the hotel is probably $80 to $100 each way. Renting a car can be as cheap as $40/day, but get this - the hotel charges its OWN guests $37.50 / day to park the car at the hotel you're staying at!!! This is why I read that so many people were "flocking from the absurdly priced" beach hotels towards more trendy, value-priced options. The gal I spoke with offered that "you can park in the lot across the street, but you have to keep feeding the meter". Off to a great start...watch this space!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am so sorry that you are less than satisfied with your pre-arrival experience thusfar. We do have our valet pricing set comparable to the same status level hotels on South Beach...regretfully all hotels on South Beach do charge for valet parking. There are public lots available in the area, which you can use at your own discretion.

We look forward to welcoming you.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

I am a fan of the "W" hotel chain BUT I must say the service here seemed none existent. For example It proved very hard to simply get a sunbed around the pool almost everyday and we were placed on a waiting list just to get a space around the pool. As for the hotel itself, the reception area/lobby is very modern with famous pieces of modern art hanging on the walls throughout. The rooms are bright & clean, very modern and stylish with plenty of space both indoors and outdoor on the terrace. The room also had stunning views of the beautiful south beach from the terrace.

The w south beach is known as a celeb hotspot and during our stay we met Actor Jamie Foxx, boxer Shane Mosley, Singer Brandy and basketball players Lebron James and Dwayne Wade across the 7 days we stayed.

Overall the hotel is very nice, modern and in a prime location with brilliant onsite facilities such as the famous Mr Chow restaurant, But sadly due to the lack of service and sheer pretentiousness that accompanies the property I will happily stay elsewhere on south beach my next visit to Miami.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry to read that you encountered service related challenges during your stay. Although the main pool does fill up quickly at times, we do have the smaller VIP pool available for guest use as well as seating on the beautiful beaches of the Atlantic Ocean!

If your travels bring you back to Miami Beach, please let me know and i will be happy to assist with the details of your reservation and ensure you have a perfect visit.

Old Lyme, Connecticut, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I booked this hotel using our Platinum Starwood points and requested a "suite upgrade" using a "suite night". The hotel was unable to do the upgrade. The front desk promised us a room change on our second day but never bothered to follow through on it. Even still, the rooms are beautiful and you can't beat the views. This was my fourth stay at the property and it remains one of my favorite hotels due to it's location. The hotel restaurant called "The Dutch" is exceptional. On the other hand "Mr. Chow" is a complete waste of money, don't bother.
The rooms are clean and very comfortable.
There was some flaws in the service and the concierge was snotty and not entirely helpful but considering how crowded the hotel is, it's understandable.

Room Tip: get a high floor that faces the side OPPOSITE of the parking lot.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review on trip advisor. We are happy that you liked the facilities and the amazing views from out guest rooms. I am sorry that we were not able to accomodate your request for suite awards nights redemption. Please let us know when your travels bring you back to Miami Beach!

W SoBe GM

Been to W South Beach? Share your experiences!