“$40 a day to valet your car??? Come oooon!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of W South Beach

Save Saved
You added W South Beach to your Saves list
W South Beach
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2201 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #46 of 197 hotels in Miami Beach
New York City, New York
“$40 a day to valet your car??? Come oooon!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I'll come back and add my review after our stay, but I called to ask them about car services vs. cabs vs. rental cars. So far, very unimpressive. They have a "free car service" to run you out to places, via a partnership with Accura, bookable via their concierge, but - of course - the concierge was jammed and unavailable. Taxi from Ft. Lauderdale, where we're flying in to, down to the hotel is probably $80 to $100 each way. Renting a car can be as cheap as $40/day, but get this - the hotel charges its OWN guests $37.50 / day to park the car at the hotel you're staying at!!! This is why I read that so many people were "flocking from the absurdly priced" beach hotels towards more trendy, value-priced options. The gal I spoke with offered that "you can park in the lot across the street, but you have to keep feeding the meter". Off to a great start...watch this space!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am so sorry that you are less than satisfied with your pre-arrival experience thusfar. We do have our valet pricing set comparable to the same status level hotels on South Beach...regretfully all hotels on South Beach do charge for valet parking. There are public lots available in the area, which you can use at your own discretion.

We look forward to welcoming you.

1,189 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

I am a fan of the "W" hotel chain BUT I must say the service here seemed none existent. For example It proved very hard to simply get a sunbed around the pool almost everyday and we were placed on a waiting list just to get a space around the pool. As for the hotel itself, the reception area/lobby is very modern with famous pieces of modern art hanging on the walls throughout. The rooms are bright & clean, very modern and stylish with plenty of space both indoors and outdoor on the terrace. The room also had stunning views of the beautiful south beach from the terrace.

The w south beach is known as a celeb hotspot and during our stay we met Actor Jamie Foxx, boxer Shane Mosley, Singer Brandy and basketball players Lebron James and Dwayne Wade across the 7 days we stayed.

Overall the hotel is very nice, modern and in a prime location with brilliant onsite facilities such as the famous Mr Chow restaurant, But sadly due to the lack of service and sheer pretentiousness that accompanies the property I will happily stay elsewhere on south beach my next visit to Miami.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry to read that you encountered service related challenges during your stay. Although the main pool does fill up quickly at times, we do have the smaller VIP pool available for guest use as well as seating on the beautiful beaches of the Atlantic Ocean!

If your travels bring you back to Miami Beach, please let me know and i will be happy to assist with the details of your reservation and ensure you have a perfect visit.

Old Lyme, Connecticut, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I booked this hotel using our Platinum Starwood points and requested a "suite upgrade" using a "suite night". The hotel was unable to do the upgrade. The front desk promised us a room change on our second day but never bothered to follow through on it. Even still, the rooms are beautiful and you can't beat the views. This was my fourth stay at the property and it remains one of my favorite hotels due to it's location. The hotel restaurant called "The Dutch" is exceptional. On the other hand "Mr. Chow" is a complete waste of money, don't bother.
The rooms are clean and very comfortable.
There was some flaws in the service and the concierge was snotty and not entirely helpful but considering how crowded the hotel is, it's understandable.

Room Tip: get a high floor that faces the side OPPOSITE of the parking lot.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review on trip advisor. We are happy that you liked the facilities and the amazing views from out guest rooms. I am sorry that we were not able to accomodate your request for suite awards nights redemption. Please let us know when your travels bring you back to Miami Beach!

Beverly Hills, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

The W hotel is very pretty hotel with all the Bells and whistles you'd expect from a very live and vibrant town like South Beach. If loud, expensive, and beautiful people aren't your thing than I'd suggest staying somewhere else. The location is perfect. Close enough to walk everywhere but far enough that only the lightest sleepers need to worry about the noise, oh and the walls are a bit thin. Nice pool, and nice beach 4 stars perfectly describes this hotel.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit with us and that you found our hotel to be the perfect location. We are glad you were able to enjoy the wonderful amenities the hotel has to offer.

See you soon!

Boston,MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the W South Beach from 11/15-11/18 for a little relaxation from a crazy work schedule. We certainly picked the right hotel for what we look for in a hotel.

Property:
Stunning. Very trendy, hip and surrounded by beautiful people. The grounds are well taking care of. A few options are available for food, including the Dutch which is a fantastic restaurant.

Check in:
We arrived around 1:00-1:30pm and we knew our room wouldn't be ready so we anticipated this. We usually encounter about an hour or so wait before a room is ready but not here. We literally received a text message from the front desk at 4:00pm telling that our room was ready. Was a bit annoyed by this but with it being the high season, I didn't let it bother me for to long. Otherwise check in was very quick and efficient.

Room #438:
Fabulous Studio Suite - All I can say is, WOW. I usually go with 1 bedroom suites so I was a little apprehensive on booking a studio but the sold out pretty quickly. Once we walked in we were blown away on how large the room was. I estimate it being around 800 sq.ft, give or take. This doesn't include another 150-200 sq.ft outdoor terrace with outdoor rain shower. The decor was very hip and Miami. Bathroom was huge with a large 2 person shower, HUGE 2 person tub and a separate shower. Everything covered in Marble! The only negative is they're renovating the building next door which we had a direct view of and heard jack hammers Thursday and Friday. I'm from Boston and there is tons of construction going around so amazingly this didn't bother me. But was a bit annoyed the placed me in this location regardless.

Housekeeping:
Best housekeeper we've ever had. She was extremely sweet to my wife and always was on time to turnover the room or when we came back in from dinner our room was immaculate from turn down service.

Pool:
Fabulous! Very trendy pool setting with a DJ playing nice house and groove. Definitely a place to relax and be seen at the same time. It was always packed so I mainly stayed at the beach.

Service:
I have to be honest here, this was the one thing that really pissed me off. Service was either extremely good, or extremely bad. During the bad service, such as when we waited 15-20 minutes before we had a waitress take our order at the poolside restaurant, and then received my meal without ever receiving my drink. By the time I finished my meal they finally brought out my drink after reminding the waitress. She ended up comping a few items. Or the few times I'm on the beach and waiting for a waiter to come and take my order yet he or a young lady would continuously walk right by me until I finally caved in and had to be rude and yell to get their attention.

I'm sorry but if you're going to charge me $95 for lunch or $105 for breakfast for my wife and I, I expect outstanding service. I may look young but I spend and prepared to spend a lot during my vacations. Never judge a book by it's cover, you'll end up losing a customer. I would of bought a bottle of champagne for my wife and I by the pool but I ended up giving the $400-600 a bottle business to an off site establishment. To management: Fix this!

Bliss Spa:
Had the 100+ minute Bliss massage, and what an amazing massage it was. I usually get a massage once a month and was very impressed on how skilled my masseuse was. I'm sorry I forgot her name! But she had redish hair. I will 100% get another massage from her in February.

Overall:
Aside from the horrible service I received from the wait staff at the beach or poolside restaurant, I did have great moments where service was outstanding. The property is fantastic, energetic and just all around fun. You can't go wrong in South Beach and at the W.

I've already booked my next trip and will be staying at the W South Beach in February. I look forward to it and hopefully I receive better service next time. Otherwise take this review for what it's worth. Room great, property great, service so-so.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you posted all the positive encounters as well as the challenges you endured, and we apologize that the service you recieved at the pool and beach was less than exceptional. I have shared your review with my food and beverage management team for review to ensure our servers are anticipating all of our guests needs.

We look forward to welcoming you back in February!

Miami, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

It's a beautiful hotel that really blows you away as far as aesthetics are concerned. As a platinum guest, I found that it's much easier to get those extra little perks when there are fewer guests and the hotel is less full, but the management of the hotel is still great at trying to accommodate when possible.

A special shout out to Gabriella Di Falco, the Head Insider, who was extremely helpful (and put up with me calling her on her cell...what a saint). Thanks Gabby!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the kind words about Gabriella, she sure is a true gem and we couldn't be more thrilled that she blew you away with the exceptional service that W Hotel guests know and love.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This is a fun hotel, especially at the weekends. Great rooms with beach/sea view. Well located but a bit of a walk to the shops. Took my daughter there and she loved it. I would recommend this as a fun place to stay if you don't need to be downtown. Good service, great pool and the beach

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We are so happy that you and your daughter enjoyed your visit with us! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon for another fun weekend in South Beach, W Style!

W SoBe GM

Been to W South Beach? Share your experiences!