“Wow - stunning rooms” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W South Beach

You added W South Beach to your Saves list
W South Beach
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2201 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #10 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London
“Wow - stunning rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

Having stayed at The Setai and former Ganzevoort in Miami a few years ago, I was a bit worried if the W would hit the mark of our previous trip. It certainly did!

The rooms are simply stunning: large, well laid out, full of light and very peaceful. I was blown away by the rooms. The fact that breakfast is also served in the room as standard, is a real treat on a daily basis.

The pool area is small for the size of the hotel which is ok during the week but you need to get there early at weekends. They do operate a 'wait list' for pool seats at weekends but only if you have an American mobile number. So the people who have travelled the furthest to stay there don't get the chance to use this service - which is pretty weird for an international hotel chain. The poolside menu is decent but I found the menus in all areas of the hotel (apart from room service) somewhat lacking for vegetarians but there are plenty of other places to eat nearby so this wasn't a major issue.

The staff are über friendly and helpful. I requested some bathroom scales (not realising there were some in the room) and they were brought up immediately.

The only issue with the trip was the wifi. Why W don't add $20 to the room rate and 'delight' guests with free wifi - is a mystery? Instead you pay a lot to stay there and feel hacked off as soon as you arrive, being forced to pay for something which is free in most hotels. We paid for wifi in our room and it didn't work in most areas of the Suite & it is also limited to 3 devices.

Stunning hotel, cool vibe, great art, amazing rooms, friendly staff but not sure I could cope with the terrible wifi if I was booking again which is a shame as I think the rooms were actually better than the Setai. But overall highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2012
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We are so happy you enjoyed your visit with us. We are currently undergoing a large rennovation project for our WIFI and Cell phone reception, we are installing additional repeaters. I have shared your suggestion on charging for WIFI with our Starwood Offices for review.

We hope to see you again soon!

W SoBe GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (484)
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We have been travelling around the world with my boyfriend and we stayed in very nice hotels (Westin - Toronto, The Grange - London, The Cosmopolitan - Las Vegas, Bel Air - LA, etc...) and W hotel in Miami had the worst service of all. Be ready that they automatically charge you 20% gratuity but the service is terrible - we both had bad experiences with the staff especially in THE DUTCH restaurant. I would never expect such an unfriendly attitude from staff in a five star hotel. No one took our complaint seriously untill we spoke to the General Manager, so let's hope he did something about this. But the rooms are really nice, so is the pool & beach area. But when you go on vacation, you want to have a nice time. You don't want to be dealing with rude bar tenders and waiters and spend your time complaining (as only the General Manager seems to take it seriously). That really ruins your experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to learn that you did not have an exceptiona experience at The Dutch. I spoke with the GM of the Food and Beverage outlets and he did confirm speaking with you and utilizing your feedback to improve the overall quality of service. Thank you for sharing your feedback and we hope to see you again soon.

Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

What a terrific hotel. A bit north of the major hustle and bustle, but one can still walk to nightlife. I had a terrific room with a nice balcony and beach/ocean views. There was a lot of social activity; the folks in the room next door smoked mon their balcony, but the breeze blew it away from my room, and it wasn't a bother. The room itself was quite nice--I especially liked the microwave and save in the minibar for my own stuff. Two flat screens on one wall was a bit odd, but made for great sports viewing. The bathroom was amazing--the shower must have had four or five different jets. The shower drain was a bit slow, however.

Room service was very pricey, and the server failed to bring silverware. In addition, the towels were a bit threadbare. However, the comfortable bed and amazing views made up for any minor inconveniences. I'd stay again in a minute!

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are so happy you had a great stay and it makes us even happier to hear that you'd come back "in a minute!" We can't wait to welcome you back and hope you can come for pleasure this next time versus business so you can enjoy all of the wonderful amenities W South Beach has to offer!

Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We chose the W South Beach to spend our 10 year anniversary. I notified one of the W talents a week prior to our arrival and she put together a wonderful romantic surprise for for us. When we walked into our suite the bedroom area was filled with balloons, a Happy Anniversary sign as well as pictures of us that she asked me to email to her. There was also a chilled bottle of champagne and plate of delicious macaroons. What a fantastic start to our vacation!! Thank you Lauren and Shevonne!!

However, parking is absurd!! $37/day??!!

36 hours later, I received an email from the hotel because they amended my folio. A mysterious charge for $94 appeared for using the "Munchie box". I was furious because we didn't take anything from the snack bar I called the hotel this morning to dispute the charge and they vowed that it would be removed within 3 to 5 business days.

Room Tip: The Fabulous studio has an amazing view of the ocean front. I would recommend booking a AAA rate or...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Guest,

Happy Anniversary! Congratulations on yet another wonderful year together, and I am so happy that you had a memorable anniversary visit. Please let me know if you have any further concerns regarding your munchie charge.

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I upgraded my room to a cool corner suite at check in. The view is stunning. Room has those newly renovated W style. But $2500/ night for the room and the view? Not worth it. Even the cheapest studio was 600. Definitely overpriced.

Room Tip: only the VIP suites have full ocean view, all the "cheap" ones are partial
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that you were not content with the pricing of our hotel rooms. We do our best to stay competitive amongst the luxury hotels in the area in regards to room and food and beverage pricing. We hope that if your travels bring you back to the area you decide to stay with us again.

England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I have to agree with the earlier review that smoking around the pool is a problem. It seemed that wherever we positioned ourselves someone would come along and sit about two feet away with a great big fat cigar - disgusting! People were also smoking in the pool with ash and smoke flying around. Staff never seemed to address this with guests so I can only assume there is a 'smoking outside is fine' policy. I also noticed people drinking out of proper glasses in the pool - surely this is just an accident waiting to happen? That said, the hotel is lovely - spotlessly clean in the communal areas and the suite we stayed in. I found the concierge very helpful in making restaurant reservations, helping us find our way around and booking the hotel car. Everything we had from The Dutch was very nice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that you were inconvenienced by smokers around the pool. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. On a happier note I am glad you enjoyed the rest of the facilities and services, including The Dutch.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I just returned from three nights at The W in South Beach, Miami and it was AMAZING. Everything went smoothly from check-in to check out. I was traveling with a friend and we had the best time. The pool is the ultimate South Beach oasis, shaded with palm trees, we always had a chair, fresh towels and a delicious Watermelon Crush (by far the best drink I had in Miami, and I had a lot of drinks). The concierge gave us great recommendations for restaurants and night spots. We ended up eating at OLA and Prime 112 which we both FAB. The beach at the hotel is private, clean and there is excellent service there as well.

The only thing that could have been better was the DJ at the pool, they had some really odd choices/variety in music, but that's what headphones are for :) The DJ at night however, was AWESOME!

Five stars for this trip!

Room Tip: Ask to be on the pool/ocean side :)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a lovely review! We are so happy you had a great stay and that you had a blissful experience at the pool and beach! Our beverages are pretty tasty upstairs, and I am happy you found your nitche with the watermelon crush!

Can't wait to see you again soon!

W SoBe GM

Been to W South Beach? Share your experiences!