“Now THIS is the W experience!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W South Beach

You added W South Beach to your Saves list
W South Beach
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2201 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #10 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Oakland, California
“Now THIS is the W experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

What a terrific hotel. A bit north of the major hustle and bustle, but one can still walk to nightlife. I had a terrific room with a nice balcony and beach/ocean views. There was a lot of social activity; the folks in the room next door smoked mon their balcony, but the breeze blew it away from my room, and it wasn't a bother. The room itself was quite nice--I especially liked the microwave and save in the minibar for my own stuff. Two flat screens on one wall was a bit odd, but made for great sports viewing. The bathroom was amazing--the shower must have had four or five different jets. The shower drain was a bit slow, however.

Room service was very pricey, and the server failed to bring silverware. In addition, the towels were a bit threadbare. However, the comfortable bed and amazing views made up for any minor inconveniences. I'd stay again in a minute!

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are so happy you had a great stay and it makes us even happier to hear that you'd come back "in a minute!" We can't wait to welcome you back and hope you can come for pleasure this next time versus business so you can enjoy all of the wonderful amenities W South Beach has to offer!

W SoBe GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (484)
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We chose the W South Beach to spend our 10 year anniversary. I notified one of the W talents a week prior to our arrival and she put together a wonderful romantic surprise for for us. When we walked into our suite the bedroom area was filled with balloons, a Happy Anniversary sign as well as pictures of us that she asked me to email to her. There was also a chilled bottle of champagne and plate of delicious macaroons. What a fantastic start to our vacation!! Thank you Lauren and Shevonne!!

However, parking is absurd!! $37/day??!!

36 hours later, I received an email from the hotel because they amended my folio. A mysterious charge for $94 appeared for using the "Munchie box". I was furious because we didn't take anything from the snack bar I called the hotel this morning to dispute the charge and they vowed that it would be removed within 3 to 5 business days.

Room Tip: The Fabulous studio has an amazing view of the ocean front. I would recommend booking a AAA rate or...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Guest,

Happy Anniversary! Congratulations on yet another wonderful year together, and I am so happy that you had a memorable anniversary visit. Please let me know if you have any further concerns regarding your munchie charge.

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I upgraded my room to a cool corner suite at check in. The view is stunning. Room has those newly renovated W style. But $2500/ night for the room and the view? Not worth it. Even the cheapest studio was 600. Definitely overpriced.

Room Tip: only the VIP suites have full ocean view, all the "cheap" ones are partial
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that you were not content with the pricing of our hotel rooms. We do our best to stay competitive amongst the luxury hotels in the area in regards to room and food and beverage pricing. We hope that if your travels bring you back to the area you decide to stay with us again.

England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I have to agree with the earlier review that smoking around the pool is a problem. It seemed that wherever we positioned ourselves someone would come along and sit about two feet away with a great big fat cigar - disgusting! People were also smoking in the pool with ash and smoke flying around. Staff never seemed to address this with guests so I can only assume there is a 'smoking outside is fine' policy. I also noticed people drinking out of proper glasses in the pool - surely this is just an accident waiting to happen? That said, the hotel is lovely - spotlessly clean in the communal areas and the suite we stayed in. I found the concierge very helpful in making restaurant reservations, helping us find our way around and booking the hotel car. Everything we had from The Dutch was very nice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that you were inconvenienced by smokers around the pool. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. On a happier note I am glad you enjoyed the rest of the facilities and services, including The Dutch.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I just returned from three nights at The W in South Beach, Miami and it was AMAZING. Everything went smoothly from check-in to check out. I was traveling with a friend and we had the best time. The pool is the ultimate South Beach oasis, shaded with palm trees, we always had a chair, fresh towels and a delicious Watermelon Crush (by far the best drink I had in Miami, and I had a lot of drinks). The concierge gave us great recommendations for restaurants and night spots. We ended up eating at OLA and Prime 112 which we both FAB. The beach at the hotel is private, clean and there is excellent service there as well.

The only thing that could have been better was the DJ at the pool, they had some really odd choices/variety in music, but that's what headphones are for :) The DJ at night however, was AWESOME!

Five stars for this trip!

Room Tip: Ask to be on the pool/ocean side :)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a lovely review! We are so happy you had a great stay and that you had a blissful experience at the pool and beach! Our beverages are pretty tasty upstairs, and I am happy you found your nitche with the watermelon crush!

Can't wait to see you again soon!

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stayed at the W South Beach in 2011. The hotel is in a good location right next to South beach. Rooms are big and well appointed. Thought the breakfast was very expensive. Service is great as you'd expect.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

A stay in 2011 was too long ago, you must come back very soon to have another great stay! Please let us know when you come back and visit us as we can't wait to show you another great visit!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

My sister and I visited the W in July of this year. We had the best time at the hotel, and are returning at the end of this week. We couldn't stay away any longer.

Before I get into all of the wonderful things at the hotel, I must thank the hotel for returning clothing that my sister left in the room. She did not realize that she had left behind her items for nearly 2 weeks. When she called the W, they located the items in Housekeeping and sent them to her. It was extraordinary. We had assumed that she would never see the items again.

The beach and the pool are beautiful. Wall was an absolute blast. The hotel is a few blocks away from the action of Lincolen Road, but we enjoyed walking to and from, and, in particular, along the beach path.

The concierges were helpful and secured the reservations we requested. My one concern was that they didn't seem able to target recommendations to different types of customers. Although, they pleasantly found out all of the information we required.

The room was large and well-designed. We used the kitchen and saved some money on food and drinks. There is a Walgreen's around the corner with a small grocery and beer section. Please note that you may have to ask for cooking supplies, but if you call the Whatevever, Whenever service, they will happily supply with you cooking pots, etc. We did eat breakfast at the Dutch, and it was delicious.

The service at the pool is better than the service at the beach. The pool/beach menu should be expanded and should include more vegetarian options. The pool is gorgeous, and the lounge chairs book up quickly.

Be prepared for lots of walking from the room to the elevator, and then from the elevator to the pool or beach.

Room Tip: Strongly recommend the Fabulous Studio. We passed on the SPG upgrades to stay in this room type. I...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are delighted you had a wonderful stay in July, and so thrilled to hear you are coming back! You will be pleased to know that we totally re-vamped our pool and beach menu so I imagine that you and your sister will be pleasantly surprised with the new savory items offered.

See you shortly!

W SoBe GM

Been to W South Beach? Share your experiences!