“Impressed” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W South Beach

and 1 more site!
You added W South Beach to your Saves list
W South Beach
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2201 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #14 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Impressed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights in March over St Patrick's Day weekend. From check-in to check-out, all the staff was of highest quality and friendliness. Location is on northern part of South Beach, short walk to Lincoln Road, but longer walk to get to Ocean Drive.

Stayed in "Spectacular" room. Room was great.. stayed in 5-star hotels around the world.. this was one of first times that I was genuinely impressed. The decor was stylish and the attention to detail was impressive. For example, the tiled floor was covered with leather rug. And not only was room stylish, but it was functional. Electric outlets were plentiful. Also, the room had great view of beach and from balcony, great view of downtown.

The pool was nice, but spent most time at W's private beach. Complimentary lounge chairs were comfortable. We ordered food which took over an hour, but they comped us a sandwich after we complained.

Overall, my experience was great and without complaint.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

So happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and the facilities! The beach is wonderful, next time you might want to try put of our our beach activities, like waverunners or parasailing!!

We hope yo see you soon.

W SoBe GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

I've stayed at many W hotels around the world, and I have to say that Starwood has hit a homerun with this property. I've stayed here 4 times in an Oasis Suite, Cool Corner Suite & twice in a Mega Suite. Everything about this hotel fits my style perfectly...if I were to design a hotel this is what it would be (except I would have a rooftop pool lounge ala Gansevoort/Perry). This W property is a cut above the all other domestic W properties with it's superior design, beautiful marble bathrooms, large spacious suites with huge balconies, plenty of closet space for longer trips and top notch service that can be rare in South Beach. I also highly recommend Dutch for breakfast and the cocktails made in the living room lounge are excellent!

There are pros to each room. The Oasis room is spacious and great for a small group (4 people) and even comes with a washer & dryer if you are staying awhile....it has a full kitchen and you get views of ocean from the side of the building (not full on). The Cool Corner room is Awesome! Great for a larger group...it's a two bedroom condo that has wraparound balconies with incredible views of the ocean!! And finally the Mega room is about as perfect as it gets for partying it up with you and a lucky someone....it is a two level room with a plunge pool on the top deck and full kitchen....great views of the ocean!

Only complaint is that the Mega suites outside need to have some maintenance done to the cabinet areas....

Besides that this hotel is one of my favorites!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

It is so lovely to see that you keep coming back to us! Thank you for being a loyal patron to our hotel. It's so nice to welcome back familiar faces time and again. We can't wait to see you again!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights in the W South Beach in September.

Excellent location.

Awesome pool with well equipped cabanas!

Great restaurant Mr. Chow. Fun night life - great people watching.

Ocean view rooms are spectacular.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view.......
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

What a wonderful experience you had! Wow factor is right, just for W! We hope you come back and visit us again soon for an even BIGGER Wow experience next time!

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel in February for each of the last three years. Let me start by saying that I would go back, and would recommend it to my friends with some caveats. As with most reviewers, I found the style, decor and general construction of the hotel to be top notch. It certainly feels like Miami. Like many commentators, I felt the service was lacking, but thought the feedback could be more detailed, so here goes:

There are several aspects to service (I discuss three), and this hotel has different (and changing) service levels for each.

First is does the staff do what is requested of them? Three years ago, the answer to this question was no. Service was horrible, top to bottom, from botched check-in, hugely delayed food orders, and completely missed maid service. I noticed improvements a year ago, and this year I had no issues with the staff completing anything I requested. Failure in this "category" of service can severely ruin your trip -- I would say that the likelihood of encountering that sort of service issue has diminished over time and is now relatively low.

The second service aspect is how friendly the staff is. Again, there has definitely been improvement over time. From harried, short-tempered staff several years ago, the staff is now much better on this. The most recent trip brought generally pleasant service from the front desk staff. The service at the pool and beach was quite good. However, there were plenty of staff members who were not as helpful. In particular, the loads of staff members (bell hops? Security? not sure...) in the front lobby were frequently downright rude. When people talk about "attitude," I'm guessing a lot of it comes from the guys guarding the doors and such. The fact that some of these guys would cut in front of guests walking in or out of the hotel, or were more interested in talking amongst themselves than helping surely paints a negative service picture (and, likely, harms the staff's culture of service). While it is difficult to find and train someone in a nominal position of power (however minor) to be friendly, great hotels manage to do it -- and the W South Beach has not. So, overall on this front, I'd give the hotel mixed reviews. I was rarely impressed, but as long as you can just shake it off, it shouldn't ruin your experience.

The third aspect of service is anticipating and responding to guests needs. This happened, for my wife and I, at the beach and at the pool, but absolutely no where else at the hotel. For a hotel of this caliber, the staff should be trained to look for ways to assist guests in whatever way possible, and this did not seem to be the case.

In summary on the service front, if you are looking for top-notch service and are the type of person bothered by unfriendly service (especially when you are paying a high price for the rooms), go elsewhere. The Four Seasons and the Mandarin Oriental have consistently great service -- I'd try there (not sure what South Beach hotel might have good service). If you can let that sort of thing go without it making you upset, this hotel could work nicely. I would be very skeptical of the reviews noting "great service." My guess is that either A) they got lucky, or B) they haven't stayed at a place like the Four Seasons or Mandarin that has truly fantastic service. I suppose personal preferences always plays a part into that as well.

On to other topics:

Pros:
* Right next to the beach (not true of places on Ocean Ave).
* Fantastic design, nicely sized rooms.
* Nice beach area with generally good service.
* Starwood Points. Earn them, use them, whatever, but it is a huge reason a lot of the people (myself included) choose to go to this hotel (new St. Regis Bal Harbour could eat into this crowd a bit, although targeted at a very different demographic)
* Good cocktails at both the bar and the beach/pool area.

Cons:
* Overall, I put service as a con. For what you are paying, it should be better. But as noted above, some people will not be bothered by it.
* Location: It is a bit of a walk from Ocean Ave, which makes it a touch quieter, but farther from the action if that is your thing. It is a fair bit north of most of the rest of the hotels. It has its pluses and minuses.
* Hospitality suite: they have a shower suite if you are departing late in the day. However, there was a long line and only one shower available when we visited. They should have a better arrangement for this service.
* Mr. Chow's: wow, I have to say that this was the most under-whelming meal I've ever had for that price (and yes, I do regularly pay that much for food, so it's not like I'm just new to South Beach prices). Completely horrible service, and high prices (which I don't mind if it's good), but the big disappointment is the food. I followed the waiter's recommendation and ended up with a meal that would have been disappointing if I had paid $20 at an Applebee's for it. Bland, pretty unoriginal food, everything was fried and greasy. Definitely better options in Miami.

Tips:
* Price: I think it is hard to put price as a pro or con... but everything here certainly is expensive. Prices are on par with the highest end hotels in the U.S. (think Mandarin/Four Seasons in NYC, or the Breakers, etc) just to help people calibrate. If you frequent the Marriott in Orlando, you'll think the prices are outrageous; if you stay at Four Seasons every trip you will find these prices to be in-line with that experience. Part of the reason I think people expect so much more of this hotel is because it is priced as ultra-luxury, but delivers only mid-range service.

Who is this hotel good for?
* If you are young and looking to party in Miami, this is a fantastic destination. It is definitely part of the scene, and has lots of attractive people. I'm guessing this is 60%+ of the hotel's guests.
* Great destination for a bachelor/bachelorette party.
* Starpoint crazies who love earning/using SPG points and want to go to Miami.

Who might want to avoid this?
* I would definitely NOT say this place is family friendly. I do not have kids as of the writing of this review, so I do not have any personal experiences, but given the crowd and less trained staff, I'd stay clear of this place with your kids.
* Business people. Hard to get work done here, and no where near the central business district.
* Service-oriented people
* People looking for a relaxing beach getaway (in which case, why are you considering South Beach at all? That is NOT what South Beach is about... go find an island in the Caribbean)
* Given the service issues, I'd be very reticent to plan a wedding here (they have a nice little outdoor area for it, but still...)

Room Tip: Request a room higher up to avoid the noisy pool and club areas
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, March 15, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing detailed information about your recent experience for other trip advisor members to review.

I am glad that you feel our service has improved. As we are a fairly new hotel (less than 3 years old), the first few years are always the most critical in our guest's eyes. We are constantly working to make sure all of our guests are satisfied and provided with the Wow and delight service they are used to from Starwood Hotels.

Please contact us directly to assist with your next reservation and we will make sure your next stay will be the best ever!

London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

I have just returned from a great trip to Miami where we stayed in the Senastional Suite at the W Hotel. Knowing the London W well this was an easy choice for us.

How wrong we were...

The hotel itself looks amazing, as do the bars, and the restaurants. The bar in fact was probably one of the strong points for the hotel. Similarly our suite was pretty Sensational.

However, you get the basics wrong and the rest seems irrelevant.

Firstly the wi-fi in the room - $14.95 per day. Seems steep but OK. No Sir, that's $14.95 per day, per device. Really? They did at checkout agree to refun some of this but come on! How many people will just pay it without realising! Secondly, the service itself was generally slow and sloppy - it took 45 minutes for our drinks to arrive by the pool. Then a further 15 minutes for the correct ones to arrive. That was when you could get anywhere near the pool as practically ALL beds appear to be reserved by residents of (as in people who live in) the hotel. Even at 9am most of the beds, and certainly the ones in the sun were gone. Food took forever to arrive, and we were fobbed off with incorrect info as to its likely whereabouts. All in all a very un-American experience in terms of helpful service.

However, the two real areas of horror that stick out were firstly the nightclub. We were told by our own concierge, as well as a number of other bars that the club affiliated with the W is now one of the best in Miami. My friend and I (both in our late 30's early 40's) arrived at the door but were told that we could not come in without girls, and that we should go and find some. So, let me get this straight - I'm being told that in order to enter the club I have to have an affair?? I showed the girl my wedding ring but was still insistent we go and get girls in order to come in. I'm not sure my wife would have been delighted! Even in LA they don't employ such door policies! What next, Murder for admission?!

The second horrific experience is on check-out. We had asked for an extention on our room, which was unavailable (fair enough), and were instead offered a hospitality room. This is again pretty normal and have had this in a lot of other places all over the world. What I haven't had though is where you are ushered into a purpose built room purely for guests to shower before leaving. Picture the scene. 6-8 people all crammed into one room with all their bags, waiting for other guests to finish in the shower, after which a barely cursory wipe down is implemented and the next 2 go in. Absolutely ludicrous. You pay several thousand dollars for a room for a couple of days and then get treated like cattle queuing up for a single shower. We weren't the only ones annoyed either. Harsh words were spoken between some german guys, who had apparently taken too long - and some other guys waiting. Two girls, left after a 20 minute wait vowing never to come back to the W again. Is it really TOO much to ask for the use of an unoccupied room for an hour or so?

We spent a lot of money here, and we left with a fairly shocking view of the place. Would go back to Miami. Would never go back to the W with the standard of service and guest treatment at these levels. As far as I'm concerned they are letting the whole chain down, as I'm not sure I'd stay at a W anywhere else in the world now.

I mentioned the bar earlier and credit where credit is due, here they get it right. Great atmosphere, great service and really friendly bar staff. It's a real shame it stops at the bar door.

The W is supposed to stand for Whatever, Whenever. Room and bar aside, for us it stood for Woeful.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, March 15, 2012
Dear Guest,

What a disappointing experience for us to read while visiting W South Beach. I am so very sorry you had a sub standard experience with us. We do our best to rectify guest issues immpediately upon notification from the guest, and I wish in your case we would have known so we could have turned your visit around and left on a more positive note. Thank you for sharing your experience and we will use your stay as tools to constantly improve our guests services and satisfaction.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

If you can afford to stay in this classy hotel, you will be treated royally. Everything about the place is fantastic. Food in the restaurants is quality and delicious. The staff make every aspect of your stay comfortable. And the location is perfect for exploring South Beach. You can literally hire bikes or rollerblades not too far away to zip up and down the boardwalk. You`ll also love the slick decor. I would love to go there again.

S

Room Tip: Check out the penthouse floors
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for the great review! We are happy yo uenjoyed your stay that you were able to experience to fun in the sun vibe of south beach! We look forward to welcoming you back soon, perhaps for some fun water sports or extra outdoor activites!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

My college age daughter and I spent 4 nights at the W South Beach. We were upgraded to a higher floor which was nice. Next time, I would skip the Bliss Spa and go elsewhere for spa services. Nothing special about it - not up to W standards.
Other service was generally good, most personal were excellent but a few need to ramp up their game.
Pool was lovely as was the beach, and the view from our room was a delight. The common areas are excellent. Fun decor but still comfortable and providing for the needs of a busy lobby. W does not fall into the trap of some other hotels whose lobbies are so overdesigned as to be almost unusable. Great modern art is a plus.

Room Tip: The street below can be noisy so ask for a higher floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, March 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our common and outside facilities fun and a pleasure!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

W SoBe GM

Been to W South Beach? Share your experiences!