“2nd W in a week and unlike the first (London) W South Beach rocks!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W South Beach

You added W South Beach to your Saves list
W South Beach
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2201 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #17 of 204 Hotels in Miami Beach
Los Angeles, California
“2nd W in a week and unlike the first (London) W South Beach rocks!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

What a spectacular hotel! This was the best experience I've ever had at a W hotel. I had reserved a suite and requested upgrading to one with a bathtub--I was shocked get a room that basically was an apartment consisting of a full kitchen complete with dishwasher, a living room, a den, a beautiful bedroom, 2 patios, and 1 1/2 baths! Despite the over-the-top trendiness of South Beach, the hotel was not TOO pretentious and the room was like a retreat. I felt pampered and at home. Unlike some other reviews i found the staff to be awesome--rounding up newspapers for me at 10 pm, dropping off a free fruit and cheese plate in the room, helping a friend check in for his flight, suggesting a way to save on breakfast in the restaurant, etc. Actually I feel spoiled now! BTW--the bedroom was totally quiet--I'm a light sleeper and slept like a baby

Room Tip: Not all rooms have bath tubs--if that's important to you, make sure to ask. Same re best ocean...
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for the kind words!! We are delighted you enjoyed your stay. Our staff is always excited to provide our guests with the W Whatever/Whenever Signature Service. Please let us know when your travels bring you back!

W SoBeGM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012 via mobile

We had a great suite on the beach and were willing to spend $995. Because we have a Starwood Platnum card and have always been happy with the benefits, upgrades when available and the great staff.
We we just there for 2 nights and called for our room to be made up at 2pm. The telephone service person said they had until 6pm to make up the room. Whose rule is that? My own bed at home is made on the weekends by 10am. Why am i giving W $995. For worse service then home. Hevtold me they would get to it when they could. When tHey could was at 4:30pm.
That night the front desk called and told me no 4pm check out which was part of the Starwood benefit program and we had verified at check in. Tough, Ugly bouncer Manager calls me up and first tells me if i am not out by 11am he will just charge my credit card for another day.
When you go to the bar, in the halls, in the gift shop and by the pool, employees don't smile.

On my next trip, i am back to the Satay

• Stayed February 2012
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, March 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on trip advisor. I am so sorry to read that the service levels at the hotel did not meet your expectations. We do our best to surpass guest expectations and I apologize that we failed. Thank you for your constructive criticism as I wish we would have known about the lapses in service you received while you were still with us. We do service our rooms between 8 am and 6 pm daily...our guests can request service at the time they'd like and our housekeeping team is happy to fulfill our guest's styling wishes. As we value all of our SPG clients, especially our gold and platinum members, we do our best to accomodate late check out when we have the availability. I am sorry for the inconvenience and please let us know when your travels bring you back to us.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

I just returned from a two night stay at the W South Beach property, where I enjoyed the spectacular property and great service. My team from work was in town to celebrate a successful year, and to have fun and conduct some meetings. Everyone (all 25 members of the team) raved about this property and the fun to be had in South Beach. Not the cheapest, but certainly a spectacular setting to either vacation, have a romantic stay, or, as with me, have a great business meeting that is memorable. Highly recommended.

WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, March 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for the kind review! I am so happy you and your team had a great stay, congratulations on your success!! We look forward to welcoming you back, maybe for a personal vs. business endeavor the next time!

Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

This place is exactly what I expect from a W. That cool, hip type of service... not the Four Seasons reserved type of service.

From check-in till we left (3 nights) we had excellent service from everyone. We booked an Oasis Suite and a Spectacular Studio... both were great.

Had a dinner and a lunch at The Dutch... was excellent. Chef Carmellini was in the house as it was during the SB Food & Wine fest.

Chairs at the pool were no problem heading down aound 830am.

We really enjoyed staying here and loved the hotel. Yes, it's expensive, but in line with other luxury properties in South Beach.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, February 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

What a wonderful South Beach Experience! The beach and hotel were lively with Food and Wine fest events and fun! I am happy to enjoyed yor stay and your room. We look forward to welcoming you back for some additional R&R!

Sao Paulo, SP
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

The place and the view are fantastic. The service and the facilites are below any 3 star hotel. I have stayed in many great places in Florida - Mandarin Oriental, The Breakers, Ritz Carlton, just to name a few. This one is a trap for the ones that want to be seen. Awful and arrogant service. If you are not "someone", it is a favor to be a guest here. So, you pay full price for no service. We were in a suite, but this did not assure us any decent service. Some days the beds were turned with water and chocolates, but most of the days no one even bothered to come. The furniture is cheap, the door of one cabinet fell on my sons's foot. No one even bothered to apologize. In much less fancy places, we would get a sorry letter from the manager, with some nice fruits. Here... who cares? Concierge can not talk to you unless you drop them at least a US$ 100 bill. So, no answer to us asking for a restaurant reservation, as we only tipped them US$ 20. Mr Chow restaurant is a complete disaster, with the hostess saying that she didn't give a damn if we were guests of the hotel after a delay of more than 45 minutes to put us on our table. To finalize the experience, sharing the pool with Mr Cigar and 3 "paid girlfriends" was the funniest part of this totally trash experience. Nothing that makes me come back anytime in the future. I don't care paying well for service, but I do care in receiving for what I have paid. This is a total scam.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Ritz Carlton and Mandarin Oriental are much better options. If you still want t...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, February 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience on Trip Advisor. I am so very sorry that your stay was less than perfect. We strive to wow and delight all of our guests and I apologize you feel this was not the case with your recent visit. I wish we would have known of all of the service challenges you encountered while we were here as we would hace rectified the situation immediately.

I hope your son is feeling well from the drawer incident and I can assure you this is not a common occurence at our property.

If you wish to discuss your stay in further detail with us, pleasecontact us at gm.wsobe@whotels.com and I will be happy to speak with you.

Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

We recently returned from a spectacular 4-day stay at the W South Beach hotel. We were extremely pleased with the rooms and the facility, but even more so with the outstanding management and staff, who worked hard to make our stay at the W a memorable one. Dennis McKibban and Michelle Mendes in particular should be commended for their stellar customer service skills – this level of service makes certain that we will return to the W South Beach whenever we have the opportunity.

Pat & Maureen Sullivan

WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, February 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am so delighted that you enjoyed your stay! I have shared your exceptional comments with Michelle and Dennis. We look forward to welcoming you back to the sunshine soon!

Warrington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 nights. On arrival, we were told our suite was out of order due to "technical issues" and our group was split over two seperate rooms in two buildings. Although the rooms were great, we ha travelled as a group and wanted to stay together. That evening, we made the most of the situation and went to the nightclub. Big mistake on our part as they wouldn't let us in! Apparently even though it is on hotel land, it is controlled by non hotel staffing and therefore the hotel can do nothing about who they let in or don't. We went to the bar instead - our second mistake. The bar served us glasses of champagne then promptly closed directing us outside! On returning to our room we realised our folding be had no bedding. 45 minutes later another foldaway bed arrived - but still no bedding. Despite asking the second foldaway bed was never removed. Our room had no glasses in and its rooftop garden was really dirty. The next morning we asked to see the manager who kept us waiting for 35 minutes. We wen to the beCh that day and had lunch and cocktails on the beach. The beach staff were very friendly but again we waited 40 minutes for drinks. Overall, the hotel was in a grea location but although the hotel was nice, it was not the best I've stayed in and the service was appalling.

• Stayed October 2011
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, February 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. I am sorry to learn that your party got split into 2 groups and that you experienced multiple challenges while with us. Although the nightclub is owned and managed by a third party operator, our concierge team does provide assitance with table and bottle service at Wall, so the next time you come and visit they will be happy to assist with reservations. If your travels bring you back to Miami Beach, please let us know in advance and we will be happy to assist and ensure you recieve the Wow service W hotels are known for.

W SoBe GM

Been to W South Beach? Share your experiences!