“Great Romantic Weekend Getaway... Super Sexy Room” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W South Beach

You added W South Beach to your Saves list
W South Beach
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2201 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #8 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York City, New York
“Great Romantic Weekend Getaway... Super Sexy Room”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

My partner and I had an amazing time during our stay.

Friendly staff, they upgraded our room, we had ocean and city views.

We loved the huge shower ;)

Only negative was that as SPG gold members they wouldn't allow us to have a late check out.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I am so happy you and your partner enjoyed your room, especially the roomy shower!

We do our best to accomodate late check out for our valued SPG guests, and we are happy to accomodate this request as the hotel's availability permits, and I apologize we could not grant it to you and your partner on this visit.

W SoBe GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (525)
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

The W South Beach.....Visited with my girls memorial day weekend 2011. I have to say this hotel is top notch. Starting with the red carpet roped off entrance. I felt like a celebrity. The Fabulous suite was clean and beautiful. The staff was very helpful and nice especially the security. When it was time to leave I did not want to go. You best to believe When I come back May 2012, I will only stay at one place and that is The W South Beach.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

So happy you enjoyed the red carpet royal treatment, as every guest to us is a celebrity! We would be DELIGHTED to host you and your girls every memorial day weekend from hereon out! Can't wait to see you soon!

Stockbridge, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

Was there for the HD Expo show for 3 nights 9/11-9/14 room # 1718 and paid $409 per night plus tax they did not honor the negiotated rate of $229 + tax.Went through 2 desk clerks to try fix the problem but then was reffered to Caroline Bertrand who could only authorize this rate change.Waited because she was with another guest,after 53 minutes asked if she was available the desk clerk said she is with someone else and yet I was next in line and had to leave or miss my flight.As a SPG member talking to me and resolving the issue is critical than hiding or telling me to talk to someone at On Peak housing dept.Seems they they are just money hungry and once they get it care about your stay.They clearly lack customer service skills and how to resolve issues and should be sent back to training including Caroline for her ignorance.I am still waiting to hear from her to resolve this rate discrepancy.

Room Tip: solve the issues you may have before checking out otherwise they dont care and will not call you.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

I am in disbelief to read of your less than perfect check in experience with our welcome staff and with Caroline. Please contact me immediately at gm.wsobe@whotels.com to get this rectified as I want to make sure we turn your experience around.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

The location of this hotel is prime. Close to south beach and lincoln mall. Everything is going to be super expensive. The staff are going to be super snobby (including the very rude concierge girls.) If you accept and expect these 2 things, then you won't be shocked once you get there. This is going to be a party hotel. So, if you are looking for a quiet, romantic getaway, its best you look more north on collins avenue.

Room Tip: Make use of the Acura experience. The house car will take you to south beach so you don't have t...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. It concerns me that your image of our staff is less than exceptional and we have not provided you with the service you deserve. We do not take this lightly and I will ensure the proper measures are taken to ensure our guests do not have this image of us. Please let us know when you plan to come back and visit so we can ensure a flawless experience.

Rego Park, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

This is my second time at this location. Had no complaints, great 'wonderful' beds, bathrooms impeccable, love love the shower heads, wish they had tubs tho, love all the complimentary bliss products, and balcony was def key. I spent a lot of downtime after the beach/pool relaxing on their balconies. Location is a lil bit further north than most of the other hotels but i actually prefer it, not as much traffic. Went to Living Room in downstairs lobby, great drinks, then hung out outside to get some fresh air, tends to get really crowded on Fri/Sat nights. The pool or "wet" was fantastic. Get to pool really early in am to reserve chairs. After 11-12 on a Sat/Sun you will end up at the beach b/c all chairs are taken. This is kinda annoying but normal procedure at sobe hotels. Their spicy blood marys are out of this world. You must get one. Beach location is great, you can get food/drinks served to you. There is a walgreens across the street from the hotel which we frequented to get water for room and snacks. Save a lil bit of cash b/c the food at hotel is def pricey. Its a luxurious hotel so your paying for what you get. Overall hotel experience/service was great and will be coming back in 2012 for my birthday.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

I am so happy you had a great stay and got a chance to experience all of our facilities to their fullest, especially the pool and beach. Aside from the delicious bloody mary, our drink menu always changes, so be sure to visit us soon so you can taste a different delicious beverage! As you mentioned you will be coming back for your birthday, please let us know when this will be so we can make it the most memorable birthday ever, W Style!

Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

OK I should start the review saying I’ve got a bit of a prejudice against big hotel chains, much preferring one-of-a-kind hotels, or very very small chains which still retain a personal identity and don’t feel so corporate. W is a part of Starwood hotels, which I think is the biggest hotel company in the world, so even getting me into a W Hotel is a bit of a surprise

But really I pride myself on not being any kind of snob (hope I don’t sound like one on my reviews!) and since I know this part of Miami Beach pretty well and really like the beach at this spot, and the hotel is right on the sand, I decided to stay here during a short layover in the city

Well, in the end my prejudices sort of showed themselves to be accurate; the hotel was quite impersonal and cold, and though I enjoyed my visit, there’s really a lot to improve here

W seemed to be trying pretty desperately to sell South Beach as being hip, which its really not at all in this moment so best not to market it that way. Though for trendiness factor, I can concur that the hotel had a lot of buzz during the 2-days I was there. Something was going on that weekend in Miami but I never figured out what, and quite a few beautiful people were scattered around at the pool / bar / restaurants. But I’m not much affected by that either positively or negatively, and also the ultra-contemporary interior (just the kind that seems to date fastest) didn’t impact me much, but the one ‘cool factor’ I did like was the contemporary art throughout the hotel, particularly a simple but spectacular sculpture of pressed glass panels with a layered black-and-white photographic image of an old theater inside it. This piece was located in the main lobby by the elevators (criticism – the artist name was not visible and no-one could tell me who made the piece – even when I later emailed the concierge without reply)

I mentioned already that the location is good, really if one is a runner or walker you can just spill out of the hotel onto a great stretch of beach going either north or south, and there’s sports facilities at the hotel which I loved (!), including an ocean-view basketball court and rooftop tennis court, really great (!). More on the location; the hotel is pretty close to the shopping and restaurants of the Lincoln Rd. Mall, an always-nice open air promenade. For location again I do give this a thumb’s up. Now some people will say that since this is the northern-most part of South Beach it should be categorized as ‘out-of-the-way’ – but I don’t agree. This is a good location if you’re not afraid of walking a bit to get to the heart of South Beach, and walking is always nice here as it is of course Miami

Per rooms, mine was big, with a good layout, and my ocean view and balcony were very pleasant. I confess I had a difficult time understanding the different room options offered and just choose a more expensive one, but I got lucky and think this was a nice choice, directly connected to the rooftop tennis, basketball, with its own kitchen, a pretty big open space. The interior was very modern, maybe a bit too eager to be ‘design’, but in any case it was a pleasure to stay here with the nice balcony and an amazing sunrise. A complaint though, the room was showing a bit of wear, not really maintained to the best standard. That’s something hard to excuse

For food, there’s a restaurant in the W Miami called Mr. Chow, the concierge acted like I should have heard of the place before booking my table and I didn’t get offered a seating at the time I asked which slightly annoyed me. I realize some event may have been going on, but when I’m staying in a hotel I really don’t like to have to fight to eat at the restaurant; there should always be a way to offer the guest a table - this is the minimum a top hotel should guarantee IMO

But, that little protest aside, the food was ok, even if the restaurant interior was a bit dull, just basically designed for people-watching. Service was so-so, something I’ve experienced quite a few times in Miami (staff can seem pretty disinterested and self-absorbed). Anyway beside the Chow restaurant, I would say the hotel breakfast was quite pleasant, in a sort of indoor/outdoor garden space, very close to the big and pleasant outdoor pool and not a long walk to the beach. I just ate and rolled on out to the sun and sand, a great start to the day

For negatives I hate to mention this (my tag is ALWAYSAPLEASURE meaning I really enjoy most to review hotels I like), but there was a plate with half of a sandwich on it in my refrigerator when I checked-in. I asked room service to remove it and pointed out the mistake. After my checkout the hotel emailed me their standard follow-up begging for my thoughts, and I did share some opinions including the fact that the prior room guest had left me a snack in the fridge. I got no response to this comment. And also the concierge never returned my email inquiry about asking for the name of an artist whose work was featurd in the lobby. Anyway – the W did really drop the ball with that – as the hotel should not ask for a dialog with guests if it doesn’t intend to keep one up

All-in-all if someone does a lot of sport like me, and enjoys the beach really for swimming and running, then this is still a good option. But spotty service and a not-so-keen attention to detail do keep it out of the luxury category in my opinion. If a property like this were taken over by an entrepreneur who would show it a lot of love, then maybe it could be something special, but not as W runs it.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

What a detailed review, and we truly appreciate you taking the time to provide other readers, as well as ourselves, with such a detailed recourse of your stay.

W South Beach is known for its posh art collection, and we are delighted to learn that you enjoyed the pieces we have throughout the lobby. I am also glad you liked our location, yes we are very centralized and right on the beach and boardwalk for a nice jog/walk/rollerblading path!

I am sorry you found our service to be sub par. I have shared your experience with my team for quality and assurance so we can ensure this does not happen with future guests.

Thanks again.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

After staying here for three nights, I would certainly recommend this to anyone looking for a high-end room in South Beach. The pool is great. Room service excellent. Beds, showers and everything else is top of the line. It's expensive, but you get what you pay for.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for the spectacular review. We are glad you enjoyed our hotel as your home away from home, and we can't wait to welcome you back!

W SoBe GM

Been to W South Beach? Share your experiences!