“Fantastic Stay in a Fantastic Suite” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W South Beach

Save Saved
You added W South Beach to your Saves list
W South Beach
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2201 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #25 of 201 hotels in Miami Beach
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Stay in a Fantastic Suite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

Stayed here for a week. This hotel is exceptional, was sad to leave. Stayed in the Wonderful Studio for 2 nights and we upgraded to the Fantastic Suite for the rest of our stay. Both rooms were lovely. The rooms had an ocean view but also looked out to the Hotels car park so note that you are not getting a 100% ocean front view. However, we still had no problem with it. The pool area is great fun and very hip, had fun on the hotels beach jet skiing. The food at the hotel is great, had a lovely meal at Mr. Chow. The hotel bar was very lively most of the week yet not too crowded. As much as it's a fun hotel you still get some sense of exclusivity. We went to the club in the hotel, Wall - very posh and good music especially on the Tuesday. Read on here that we needed to either book a table at the club to get in or ask the hotels concierge to get us on the guest list however we didn't do this and still got in with no problem (we got there at about 11:30 though which is considered early). The Whatever/Whenever service is quite good however it does take up to 15mins to get anything brought up to your room. There is a free chauffeur service for drop off within 10miles of the hotel, we used this service once. Be sure to call ahead of time if you wish to use the car service. All in all had a great time at the W South Beach. TIP for Miami Stay: For a great night out, go onto Ocean Drive and walk down the strip; so much activity going on - there's a Cuban/Caribbean/European Vibe going on, loved it!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

Sounds like you had a great visit and got to experience all of the outlets and features the hotels offers our guests, and that is wonderful news! We hope to see you soon and thank you for sharing!

1,445 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

Stayed 3 nights over a weekend in the "Mega Suite" for about $1250 total. Really was an oversized studio with a private supersize terrace above. Furnishings were exellent but showing some wear: "Heavenly bed", deep soaker tub, oversized 2 person shower and panel kitchen. Interestingly, no cookware in the kitchen. 3 LCD TV with Bose accoustics meant no chance of missing your favourite program. The private terrace (directly above) featured a soaker pool and full furniture set. Immediate access to basketball courts and tennis courts. Concierge provided basketballs and tennis rackets upon request. All the MegaSuites are on the 6th floor overlooking the main pool area and beach. There was noise saturday night with the pool party and adjacent night club. Higher floor suites would no doubt be quieter. But you don't come to SouthBeach to turn in early!

Hotel itself was gorgeous: Livingroom, Mr. Chow and Solea. The latter proved to be a truly memorable dining experience. The Livingroom chairs were showing some wear and ceiling vents were dripping water or condensation in some areas. Did not attend Mr. Chow.

The large salt water pool was clean with complimentary poolside lounges. Pool was very busy on weekend. WET bar service was slow but foot and drinks were good. The beach area directly by the W property was operated by staff and featured complimentary lounges and towels. No service on the beach unfortunately. Always lots of staff on hand to help with towels and lounges. Beautiful deep white sand beach. Water was clean and shallow. Did note the occassional jellyfish.

The hotel is located at the quiet end of Collins but easy walking distance to Lincoln and Washington for restaurants. A CVS(or such) is kitty corner to the hotel for quick items. Also AVIS rental is opposite the hotel (TIP: rent from AVIS at the airport and drop off at local AVIS to avoid the $37 per day parking and daily rental exense- no real need for a car while at W, take advantage of the Acura Car service). Local bars and clubs are evident. Lots of nightlife. For further afield, take the Acura Car Service to Ocean Drive for shopping and for classic SouthBeach dining on the Strip. $375 for a meal for five not including alcohol. 18% gratuity. You don't come to SouthBeach to save money.

Alot has been written about the staff and poor attitude. The staff were all beautiful and definitely part of the scenery. But we were well looked after too. Special request were handled immediately. The single incident of poor staff response was corrected with a quick word.

Overall, a very enjoyable stay. Would return.

RW

Room Tip: Rent car at airport AVIS and return same day to nearby AVIS lot - saves parking and vehicle expense.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your detailed visit on Trip Advisor for future guests to read. I am glad you got to experience the Acura Service, the pool and the beach services...hopefully next time you visit you can try our new restaurant The Dutch as well as a nice relaxing spa treatment at Bliss!

Can't wait to welcome you back...

USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011 via mobile

Our suite was beautiful here. The view was perfect. We didn't want to leave our room. The bar on site was ok it didn't play our type of music.

• Stayed September 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your room so much you did not want to leave! That sounds like my kind of vacation, too! LOL

Hope to see you soon...

los angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Amazing room, with view of the water,clear glass shower so you can see the sky and ocean from it.
Our luggage was left on a cart in the lobby, unattended, while they looked for a room for us and while we waited (2 hours) for a room.
room not ready when we arrived, no offer of free drink while we waited, in fact they told us to go to the hotel next door if we wanted a good cup of coffee

Floor wet and slippery when we arrived-bellman called desk, later they claimed no call, came to clean 6 hours later after 3 calls. Our luggage left tracks
went the pool for snack- bad service, expensive, no call to say room ready
free wi-fi and continental breakfast in "living room" off lobby which we found by accident
no one told us on check-in
2 phones in room, one hooked up to different room (maybe why they kept saying we didn't call to complain?)
Asked where we could get a good berger, the conscierge didn't know, told us to walk around and look at the other hotels
endered up at Ritz Carlton Bar overlooking hte ocean, had drinks and appetizers for dinner- amazing and fantastic
I thought the W was bad because we booked it as pre-cruise package, but, I see from the reviews that they treat eveyone with contempt.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry that your stay was less than exceptional and that your room was not ready on arrival and that our concierge was less than helpful in finding a good burger place. I wish we would have been made aware of these challenges prior to your departure to rectify the situation. If you decide to come back please contact me directly and I will make sure your experience is flawless.

Dubai
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Having stayed in numerous W hotels and starwood propertys across the world I am finding it difficult to be balanced in my views on South beach.I have to say simply this is the worst hotel I have stayer in to date.

Why?

Check In slow we were informed they would phone when the room was ready no call -twice we went to reception finally checked in at 3.45pm.No service with a smile throughout service with an attitude-here you as the guset appear always to be in the way.

Pool area no beds we had to go on a waiting list-beds were reserves from 6.30pm and some beds reserved for those in apartments only.Pool rules!!The pool was crowded,dirty hair in the pool beds were on top on each other ...not a relaxing experience and security patrolling asking all the time for room numbers.Oh and the waiters ontop of you all the time for drinks..How many times can you say..NO THANK YOU....

Bar service...Full attitude and expect to say 15dollars for a simple drink.

Buffet breakfast Simple selection and floor area were full of crumbs not cleared away from previous day...Went all once then went outside plenty of choice.

Overall not a 5 star experience very poor service throughout,no smiles,not relaxing would not recommend and for sure will not return.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry that you experienced sub par service while visitng with us overall. This is not the service we wish to provide any of our guests and I am sorry you endured troubles. I will be using your experience as an example for our quality training to ensure we provide our guests with 5 star luxury service.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

My husband and I went here for a weekend getaway. I wanted to stay at a high category Starwood resort for fun so we booked it on points. We booked the ocean view...fantastic suite or something like that.

Arrival. Chic and trendy lobby. Trendy skinny people in expensive sunglasses wearing designer clothes. Rich older men and beautiful young women together...you get the picture. I complained to my husband that this place seemed pretentious. His response was "What did you expect?". I guess I didn't really think about it. I just wanted to check out fancy South Beach life....I guess I should have expected it.

Check in. I agree with some of the previous reviewers who said that there is an air of "You are lucky you got in here!". Staff was not particularly friendly. Everyone was there to be seen.

Room. This is where I became really disappointed. Chic and trendy. Interesting art. Room was pretty much all white. Well, it's kind of hard to keep an all white room clean so it looked dirty. Well, it was literally dirty. My skin is crawling thinking about it now. The bathroom had a nasty smell. We didn't have a coffee maker and we called for one. They brought in an industrial size coffee maker saying they didn't have a hotel room sized one. I refused to sit on the couch without having some piece of clothing between my skin and the furniture. The ipod docking station on the stereo didn't work....but, I was tired of complaining so I didn't say anything about that. Thank god the bed was a heavenly bed and it passed my cleanliness check. The bliss products were nice. I can't comment on the noise at night because I was sleeping very deeply due to alcohol...but it was probably loud. There was certainly some serious partying going on in the lobby when we got back from SB!

The view. Parking lot and a sliver of ocean. Beyond disappointing. But, I couldn't afford a better view! :)

The restaurant in the lobby near the lobby bar...can't think of the name....service was poor. The hostess seemed bothered that she had to seat us and the waiter kept looking at us like he hoped we would get up and leave. Serving us seemed to be too much work. Food was just ok.

Had some drinks at the bar at Mr Chow. Expensive..but we had a nice time. We actually walked to the South Beach strip for some night life. I walked in heels! It was a long walk but we made it. I had to catch a cab back after having too much fun at Mangos one night.

Gym. Surprisingly small and unattractive. I did get my workout on though. Strange cardio equipment. Never heard of the brand...looked cheap..I'm used to LifeFitness or Precor. My ipad didn't fit on the machine so I was a little bummed about that.

The general manager was actually quite concerned about the issues that we brought up and actually credited back an entire day to our Starwood account. So, I've got to give them kudos for trying to make it right.

My impression. Don't go here if you are not ready for a scene out of the movie "The Devil Wears Prada"! If you are looking to experience some of that culture then check it out. There are some people that are very wealthy that need to go to a hotel like this for security. Security was very tight. I can't say that I didn't feel safe! The cleanliness issue is probably why I would hesitate to try this place again. I just couldn't shake the feeling that somebody just puked all over the room and they barely had the chance to clean it up.

I didn't stay in the mega high end suites so I can't even begin to comment on those. My review is for the average joe trying to decide if they want to check this place out. If you got anything out of this review know that this place has a culture that is unlike the majority of hotels in this world. If you got this point then you got what I was trying to communicate.

I had an experience that I will never forget. There are some things that you just have to experience to understand....

Good luck with your decision!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

I would like to apologize the the negative impression our hotel and staff left you during and post visit. Although South Beach is sleek and chic, we like to raise the bar to differentiate ourselves from the rest of the south beach crowd, and I am sorry we failed in your case. I am glad that you reached out to us, and I am sorry that we cannot erase the negative experience you had while staying with us. We are constantly implementing changes and guest suggestions, so we thank you once again for brigning your concerns to light.

Best Regards,

western mass
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

The property is lovely and the beach is the same great beach that goes up and down. The problem is that the staff is really untrained and unsupervised. The first day you don't mind, the second day you start to scratch your head and if you stay for an extra long weekend as we did, by the 4th day you're pretty annoyed. That said, if you are just in for 2 days and you can't get into the Ritz Carlton, it probably won't get to you.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I am glad that you liked our facilites and the world renoun strip of south beach...however I want to apologize for the lack of service you recieved from our staff. Thank you for sharing your experience and if your travels bring you back, please let me know and I will ensure a flawless experience and service that W Hotels are known for.

W SoBe GM

Been to W South Beach? Share your experiences!