“Crazy Busy and Fun” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W South Beach

and 1 more site!
You added W South Beach to your Saves list
W South Beach
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2201 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #14 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Alexandria, Virginia
“Crazy Busy and Fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

We extended our vacation from the Caribbean and stopped in South Beach for 3 nights. We booked an Oasis Suite at the W and we're not disappointed. Many of the previous reviews were negative and I found them all to be inaccurate.

Our room was great and very functional. There was 3 of us and the suite had 1 bedroom with a separate theater room with a queen size sofa bed. The suite also had 1 1/2 baths. To my wife's surprise she called about linens for the the sofa bed and two muscle bound men showed up bearing linens. They made up the bed and were very friendly. My wife then wanted more things to go wrong in the room so that she could call once again.

Our intereaction with the W staff (valet, front desk, pool staff and conceirge) was great. The hotel was very busy because it was the kick off to Swim Fashion week and the hotel was hosting several parties. One would have thought we would have been treated like outsiders. Rather we felt like we belonged and the staff went out of their way to meet our needs and make our stay memorable. We were even invited to the fashion show/party that the hotel was hosting,

The infinity pool is small but there were plenty of free chairs. The chairs on the beach were also free. There was a charge for a daybed and/or umbrella. Both the beach and pool and plenty of staff available to serve you food or drink.

Obvously this is South Beach and the hotels are pricey. However, we felt that for a ocean front hotel and the level of service that we recieved it was well worth the price.

This was our first stay at a W property and I would absolutely stay there again. If all W hotels are like this then I will be a returning customer.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a lovely review! I am so happy that your family enjoyed W South Beach, I even chuckled when I read about the house men that brought up the linens and your wife wanted more things to go wrong! Great memories and stories to share, we hope to welcome your family back to create more fun memories.

W SoBe GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

Felt completely inferior to the staff and 'beautiful people ' who use this hotel, however, the suite was spacious, clean, luxurious and comfortable. Pool area crowded and difficult to navigate through.However, we would now book another W for the wierd factor of the art and decor.

Room Tip: Dress to impress and arrogance gets action
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on trip advisor. The best advise we always give is to "Expect the unexpected" in South Beach, it's always fun to see so many different people interact!

See you soon!

Virgin Islands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

We had a wonderful stay at the W . We stayed in an Oasis suite which was so very beautiful and spacious.Having come from a suite at the Plaza in NYC it was a tall order to top our Edwardian suite but it did.
From check in to check out we found the staff to be superlative. They are friendly and always helpful from the doorman to the concierge to the front desk to the pool we never encountered even 1 unfriendly staff member . How Refreshing that was.Every request was met with a yes and then a followup. I happened to speak to Kimberly several times and she was lovely and helpful and remembered me the next day. when our a/c was broken when we checked in a nice young man from engineering came pretty quickly and fixed it so we could enjoy our room.
Room service was delicious and happy to make whatever you wanted even if breakfast was over. Had good food at pool each day for lunch . Although for $16-$18 a drink (22-23after tax and mandatory tip) i really think they should give you a larger than a 10oz I thought 12oz my husband thought tiny throwaway plastic cup. The Ganesvoort used to use the pretty tropical tulip tall lucite glasses and at least you felt like you were getting a nice drink for the money there. Being from the islands we are used to our having many strong cocktails.
Pool was nice and it was a nice crowd all week although on weekend it was tough getting a chair if you slept in.
but the pool guys certainly tried for you. thanks for finding me one guys.

All in all an almost perfect stay

Kudos to management on your fabulous staff. We will be back hopefully in the same beautiful suite next time too. Late checkout thanks to Amex Platinum travel was awesome.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

What a truly great birthday vacation you had with us! We hope to see you again next year for your birthday!!

Hollywood, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

I finally had an opportunity to check out the much hyped W Hotel South Beach and it lived up to it's reputation of being the posh, pulsating, trend-setting haven for the stars and Celeb's. There were even a dozen Paparrazi staked out at the front entrance!

The property is expensive make no mistakes, but you are paying for the chic allure that this property delivers. The location is dynamite! Right in the heart of South Beach and on the Broadwalk facing and overlooking the ocean.

We stayed in the Oasis Suite and the following highlights are worth noting:
1) Room service was perhaps the very best I have ever experienced. Well worth the extra cost. The food was delicious and arrived in 20 minutes pipping hot and the presentation was white table cloth all the way.
2) This property is VERY dog friendly! My dog Sage, loved chilling on the balcony and watching all the hot South Beach models tanning below. I loved that they actualy had his own Doggy Room Service Menu to order from.
3) They had an amazing Entertianer in the Club Lounge: Brendan O'hara and the Big Bounce. This is the kind of musician you would expect to pay big bucks to catch in a concert hall!
4) The staff were very friendly and helpful. Lastly, the lobby is a great place to people watch and there is a lot of eye-candy!

My highest accolades go to Mr. Paul McGannon. He reached out to me via the Welcome Desk prior to my arrival and we had a few very nice correspondences. The value of this is that I felt truly welcomed by his authentic hospitality and concern that my stay would be beyond my expectations. Rest assured, it was!!!
I highly recommend this property.

Room Tip: Check online night before you arrive for specials
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I am so happy to know that you had a great stay in your Oasis Suite! Paul is definitely one of our gems, we are lucky to have him as part of the team and I have shared your comments with him. We hope to welcome you back in the near future for another W stylish experience!

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

My wife and me have just returned from a business trip to Miami. Our choice of hotel on this particular visit was the "W" on South Beach. A choice I would make again in a heartbeat. The contempary design of the rooms was upbeat and our suite was well maintained. ALL housekeeping staff came with a smile, no request was too small, and every service was followed up with a call from the supervisor to ensure the requested service had indeed been carried out.

I experianced a 98% first ring pickup response!!! This was truly amazing as most customer service centers can barely manage to achieve a three ring pick up responce average.

We were due to stay about five days and then return to Dallas. Toward the end of our stay I put out my back and remained confined to our room for a further 5/6 days.

When the service maids and in house dining personel became aware of my "internment", it was as if I became their personal concern. First came the huge plate of fresh fruit, then delivery of unrequested heating and cold packs which came just minutes after the fruit plate, and then daily thereafter.. The warmth of their collective efforts just had to aid in my recovery.

Dining was excellant! We used the main restuatrant and found the staff friendly, professional, knowledgable, attentive, and "invisable." Their recommendatons were on the mark; try the crown of lamb. Mine was plentiful and cooked to perfection.

My overall impression is one of professional caring from the minute you step out of your transportation right up until the minute you leave. 5 stars to the "W." They have it right!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to learn that you had an amazing experience and our staff was on point, in all outlets from room to food and beverage as we strive for perfection and we delivered it!

We hope to see you soon!

Best,

Frankfurt, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the W South Beach for one week. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite for approx. US$ 750 a night. The room was very nice with contemporary furniture and great views. However, cleaning was exceptionally poor! Remainings of lipstick on glasses, remainings of previous guest's business on the toilette seat and disgracefully dirty cushions on the balcony furniture. The situation didn't even improve after highlighting the issues. This property also hosts holiday homes which alway come first. It was not possible to get a sunbed at the pool because they were all reserved for owners of the holiday flats. As a hotel guest you could only get a sunbed at the beach. If you wanted an umbrella that was $15 extra per day. Which is a good example of a recurring theme at this hotel. Despite the high room rates, everything is extra and pricy. Don't expect any complementary service. Service in general has been the poorest we have ever experienced in a hotel of this level. We have stayed in various 5 star hotels across the US, Europe and Asia, but this has by far been the poorest in terms of service culture and value for money (despite a mandatory 20% service charge on any consumption or purchase). Also if you expect great atmosphere, cool people and party...you better stay in the Delano!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry to learn that your stay was less than exceptional and we did not deliver the quality and service Starwood Hotels are known for. As we are a residence hotel, we do have split space for hotel guests and residents to accomodate everyone in the best way possible, and I am sorry if you feel you were inconvenienced by the residents during your visit.

Nevertheless, we would love the opportunity to welcome you back and I can assure your experience would be completely different the next visit. Please let me know if your travels bring you back to Miami.

Estero, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

My husband had a business meeting at this hotel last month and invited me to tag along. I have never been a big South Beach fan but I went anyway This Hotel changed my mind!
From the moment we walked in the staff was friendly and welcoming. The lobby is beautiful with a lot of marble and it smells so good! Our check in was quick and painless After a cup of orange infused water we were off to our room..
We have stayed at several W Hotels but this one is by far the most beautiful we have seen. One look at the room and we both said wow this is nice. The room was very contemporay yet extremely comfortable. It seemed large compared to other W's.
The bathroom was my favorite . Large marble shower with body sprayers, big soft towels, plenty of counter space and a makeup mirror. The best part was how sparkling clean everything was. Not a spec of dust anywhere.
The pool area is not huge but lovely. How wonderful that an attendant seats you so there is no one putting towels down and saving seats all day. He even dressed my chair for me. Two towels on the chaise and a third rolled for my head! Plenty of friendly servers willing and ready to take orders. But be aware it is resort prices. I ordered one drink and a salad . When the bill came I had to look at it twice. Tax , tip and a resort fee.
We used the concierge desk several times. I cannot say enough nice things about how friendly and informative these professionals were. When a friend and I wanted to go shopping the concierge not only made several suggestions, mapped it out, he even called a car for us and walked us to the car! Another example of going the extra mile!
When we walked into the lobby to check out one of the staff saw us and had our car brought around so it was waiting as soon as we were finished at the front desk.
The only glich in our trip was three days after we returned home I realized I had left my favorite swimsuit behind. I called the hotel with slim hope that I would ever see it again. Much to my surprised I was transferred to a pleasant man who took my info put me on hold and returned to let me know that yes my swimsuit was there. He took my information and quickly emailed options and cost to get it back to me.
Thank you Gene Rodriguez and the rest of the staff who not only got my suit back to me quickly but also the top to another suit that I had not even realized I had left.
My husband and I have both traveled throughout the US and Europe. He still travels most weeks with his job. We both agree that this hotel is not only beautiful and inviting it has the one of the most friendly staff we have ever encountered.
It is refreshing to know that outstanding customer service is alive and well in South Beach!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Wow, what a spectacular visit! We hit it right on the nose I see, that makes me very happy! I am also glad we were able to recover your swimsuit, and that our staff in the different departments and outlets were most warm and helpful.

We hope to welcome you and your husband back soon.

Best,

W SoBe GM

Been to W South Beach? Share your experiences!