“W stands for WONDERFUL - Fun in the Sun!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W South Beach

Save Saved
You added W South Beach to your Saves list
W South Beach
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2201 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #16 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Atlanta, Georgia
“W stands for WONDERFUL - Fun in the Sun!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

I stayed at the W South Beach for vacation last week and it was wonderful all of the rooms have an ocean view. The location is toward the end of South Beach on 21st Street (not in the heart), but the hotel has great views on the boardwalk and the rooms are very spacious. The pool is great, however, the service is very slow or great depending on which side you're on! The beach is beautiful and the service on the beach is great! The busiest day of the weekend, Saturday, they ran out of towels in the pool area, which is totally unacceptable, don't they have laundry facilities on site!! They said we'll have towels at 7:00 PM but didn't, they close the towel service at 7:00PM. If you need to use your cell phone in your room, it won't happen. For some reason you can't receive calls in your room. If you want to check out The Wall (night club) you have to make a reservation in advance, the hotel has nothing to do with this private club. If you want to go to the Spa book it far in advance, it was sold out the entire time I was there. Anyway, there's so many great places to go and eat on Lincoln Road and Ocean Drive. It's a great vacation spot with a great mix of relaxation, party time and beach time!

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

I am glad you enjoyed your visit and I apologize that we ran out of towels at the pool. I know that the next time you visit we will not have that problem for sure! Hope to see you soon!

W SoBe GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

I loved this hotel when it first opened. Sure it is corporate and somewhat antiseptic, but at least it was new and well run. Unfortunately, the hotel and staff have fallen into a state of disrepair. My $700/nt Sensational Suite had numerous problems. Safe- broken. Bathroom mirror- coming off the wall. Bedroom lamp-not working.
Take a look at the "ocean view" my suite had.(attached photo) Pretty sad view of the parking lot with the ocean in the distance. How would you like that view for $700 a night?
Is that a terrace you would enjoy? I made this reservation months in advance. When I complained to the manager Domina, she was no help at all, she was even insulting to me. The worst part about this property is the staff. They seem to be trained to say "No!"
Can I get my $700/nt suite on a higher floor with the promised ocean view-No.
Can I check in before 4PM-No.
Can I get a free breakfast because I am a Starwood member-No.
Can I get a late check out-No.
They should rename this hotel "The No Hotel."

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry that your visit with us with so unpleasant. This is not the image we like to portray to our guests and I will make sure that Domina and the rest of the team are refreshed on providing exceptional customer service, especially to our valued SPG Guests. Thank you for the feedback.

Northampton, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

We paid over $1,800 for an oasis "oceanview suite" for my wife and three daughters in January of this year and were very disappointed. We stayed there only one night (thankfully) on the way down to the Caribbean, never again. From minor stuff to major stuff I would not recommend this to any families. First off this is party central and if you are partial to some sleep you are in the wrong place. Room service is total disaster, breakfast was ordered and was so late(over an hour)we had to leave before it arrived. After spending a half hour looking for the bedding for the second room we were told there wasn’t any and we would have to wait another hour for someone to come up and set it up. Would have been nice if someone had told us this in advance, especially since I made no secret of my three children. All of whom were freaked out by a card left under our door and handed to us by the bell hop when we first entered the room. One problem the name on the card was not ours and the bell hop was not quick enough to realize this. When checking out (hungry) I asked to see the manager and was told there would be another wait but out transportation was waiting so I asked for the survey to be mailed to me. I am still waiting. Just discovered this site and thought I would save other families the aggravation of a very over priced hotel. For $1800 I don’t think a good nights sleep and breakfast is too much to ask.

Room Tip: dont waste your money or points on a suite
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I am so sorry that your stay with us was not to perfection. I am disappointed that every aspect of your trip, from check in to check out, was sub par. I wish we would have been advised of this...the surveys are sent at random to guests, not everyone recieves them. I will be utilizing your experience for future training and learning experiences to improve our gust service.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011 via mobile

What a hotel staff fantastic,rooms
Excellent clean 2 40" tv screens Bose docking for I pods shower room what can I say . King size bed very comfy
Good pools the smaller one is great if you want a private party we were asked to leave as the pool had been reserved for special guests could it have been U2 who were staying how do we know that,we shared a lift with the Edge will definitely go back to the W

• Stayed June 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the lovely posting! We are so happy you enjoyed your visit, we hope to see you soon!

milwaukee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

We desperately needed a romanic getaway, and W South Beach had everything we wanted. Including a nightclub on property so we could let loose and simply stumble upstairs to the comfy confines of our lavish bed. But the very chic club allows smoking, and seemingly everybody smoked. Is this 1994? What kind of progressive hotel allows guests to smoke inside its club? We smelled like ashtrays. Disgusting. Needless to say we took our business elsewhere, to clubs farther away but more attuned to the times.

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry that you had a negative experience in Wall nightclub with the cigarette smoke. Please accept our sincerest apologies, and I have shared your reccomendations for it to be a smoke-free lounge to their management.

Jacksonville, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

We chose the W based on the amenities that are important to us; sizable room, coffee makers in room, tub, spa and gym available on property and a lobby that we can sit and people watch. The grounds are immaculate, the staff friendly. The house keeping bent over backwards to keep us stocked with coffee for the room, shampoo and soaps always restocked. The room was made up in a timely manner every morning. The suite we had was incredible. When a company thinks that there reservations line is just a small part of the company they are DEAD wrong. We were trying to decide if we wanted to stay a week at the Fountaine Bleau in Miami or here...... we were told it was just "impossible to have a coffee maker in your room" We were told that they would give us a room with no adjoining door to another room - when we called back they gave us a room with an adjoining door and told it was impossible to correct that - that we should do that in person, when we asked to speak to a supervisor , out names were taken and we were NEVER called back. So Fountaine Bleau lost a weeks worth of business and an assurance that we will NEVER stay there. Thanks to The W's customer service we will not only come back , but we will seek out other W's when we travel.
Our only negative with the W was the artwork that they prominently displayed by the elevator, so you had to look at it every time you come on or off - was a a glass cube with pictures of all the terrorists, dictators, mass murderers of our time AND in the back of the picture is a picture of our Former President Bush appearing to pick his nose - this was such an insulting picture . There was no need to politic my vacation and to equate President Bush with Hitler is beyond disgusting.
I expected something different with the Bliss Spa. It didn't have a relaxing, serene feel. When we called to see if we wanted to book the W we asked if we had full access to the spa - I actually spoke to the spa and they said yes - but when I got there they said that on Saturday and Sundays you can only have access to the spa if you have booked a treatment. It also has a feel of people constantly wiping and picking up behind people - you want a clean spa , but it needs to be done in a non-intrusive behind-the scene kind of way.
Other than these two things... we loved the W.

Dear Guest,

So happy you had such a lovely stay! We are delighted that we had the oportunity to host you. The art work you are speaking of is a piece called "Straight to Hell," and we apologize that you found this offensive in any way.

LDB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

The hotel is perfect, the locate, lob, swimming pool, spa, restaurant MR CHON.
All staff are helpfull and the program Whatever Whenever is very fast.
I recomended the hotel all time.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We are so happy you had an amazing stay! Thank you for reccommending our hotel and we hope to see you soon!

W SoBe GM

Been to W South Beach? Share your experiences!