“Perfect Girls Weekend!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W South Beach

Save Saved
You added W South Beach to your Saves list
W South Beach
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2201 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #17 of 202 Hotels in Miami Beach
Montclair, New Jersey
“Perfect Girls Weekend!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

My friends and I recently stayed at the W Hotel in South Beach for a girls weekend and I would highly recommend it! We had a Cool Corner Suite, which was a gorgeous room with amazing views and a great amount of space for 4 of us, including a washer/dryer and full kitchen! From the minute we arrived the service was excellent. We were slightly concerned because of some previous reviews we read about the service but have nothing but great things to say about the service. Everyone was friendly and helpful, from the front desk to the housekeeping to the wait staff. My only two complaints are that they need more umbrellas at the pool and that they charge for WIFI and for use of the computer in the business center. Other than that, it was a perfect stay!

Dear Guest,

So happy you enjoyed your cool corner suite and that you and your friends had a fun great weekend! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

W SoBe GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
Brooklyn
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

Firstly I am a Platinum member with SPG so I would expect nothing but great service as I am accustomed to.
However the service was horrible firstly the check in counter people were very rude. The room was dirty, this hotel did not live up to the W standards. I can go on and on but I just want to keep it simple, don't stay here, overpriced and bad service.

Dear Guest,

I am so sorry we did not meet your expectations as an SPG Platinum member. We strive to take extra special care of our valued SPG guests, and I am disappointed we failed to do so in your case. I would be happy to discuss your experience with you at gm.wsobe@whotels.com if you have some time.

Oberrieden, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

We spent 1 night @ W South Beach and we were very happy with our W experience. Perfectly styled, very nice pool with confortable sunbeds, stylish bar and very friendly staff. We got a complementary upgrade to a Mega suite which was truly awesome. Nice view to the beach, 2 floors, 2 balconys, plounge pool on the roof, your own BBQ area with outside TV, ipod dockingstation, huge bathroom and very confortable bed. The only 2 things I still miss at W Hotels: Complimentary Water and free Internet.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We are delighted you enjoyed your upgraded Mega suite! We look forward to seeing you again and hope that you can enjoy one of our 15 different room types on this visit!

Hong Kong
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

I want to document my experience at W South Beach in room 1603 and subsequently 425 on June 17th to 19th for 2 nights since it was just an overall bad expereince.

My friend and I checked into the “spectacular” type room (1603) on Friday June, 17th. Room was fine until I woke up on Saturday morning to field a telephone call and sat on the couch. After 10 minutes of sitting on the couch, i found myself bitten 8 different times on all over my body. These bites were not mosquito bites and more like bites from fleas or bed bugs. As there was nothing evident on the couch we could see with the human eye, I immediately called down to the front desk to report the issue and specified that there could be fleas on the couch (noting that the hotel is pet friendly). The staff mentioned that the pest control company Orkin would investigate the problem and would get back to us. We spent Saturday by the pool and before heading back to the room, we stopped by the front desk to ask about the status on the pest control report. Domina ----- was the Manager on duty and said that there was nothing found in the room and claimed that I may just have gotten the bites because we let in bugs/mosquitos via opening the balcony door. We confirmed that we had not opened the balcony door since we arrived in the room. Domina claimed the report showed that there was nothing found (not without a lot of attitude). We asked her if the report specified there was no fleas on the couch, she confidently spoke that Orkin checks for everything and nothing was found. We requested to see a copy of the report as we were confident there is something on the couch that is active as well we requested to switch rooms as we did not want any pests to follow us back home. After much resistance, Domina agreed to give us another room but downgraded us. Of course, that was not the ideal outcome for us, but we did not want to have to worry about the pests biting us or worse of all following us back home. We had prepaid for the spectacular room, so obviously we were not content of the downgrade and requested to be at least compensated for the downgrade. After much argument, she agreed to give us a $30 credit for the downgrade. Domina failed to mention that this room was directly located above your night club. Despite that, prior to moving rooms, Domina delivered the report by Orkin to us. The report says there is no activity found in the room; however it is clear that Orkin checked for only the following: 1) roaches (german and American), 2) ants, 3) rats and 4) mice. The staff continued to defend there was no pests found in the room but none of them read the report and none of them understood what was within the scope of work for Orkin. No where on the report does it specify that a search was conducted for fleas/bed bugs etc, which was our concern in the first place. I have called Orkin since and they did confirm that pests such as fleas/bed bugs require special equipment to test and the customer (ie. W South Beach) needs to specify that they want Orkin to check for fleas/bed bugs in order for them to test for them. In addition, the Orkin representative mentioned that fleas/bed bugs are nocturnal, so spotting it during the day by chance (since it was not within their scope of work) with the human eye is very unlikely during the noon investigation of the room.

Despite that, at 3:00am on Sunday morning we were unable to sleep due to the loud noises from the night club (having been moved down to room 425 after the bug incident). When my friend called down to complain the receptionist Anna apologized and confirmed the club would close at 4:30 and the noise should dissipate and volunteered to send us earplugs. I was annoyed, after getting bitten such that i am so itchy and uncomfortable, all I wanted was to rest and earplugs is not acceptable considering the price we were paying for a room, we expect to be able to use the “wonderful” room to get some rest and not have to feel like we're on some airplane with earplugs. I then requested to speak with the manager duty (Christopher -----) and rather than try to rectify the situation, he claimed the noise was coming from the beach and that we should have expected this when we stay in south beach - Firstly, the receptionist had previously confirmed and apologized the noise was indeed from the club in your hotel and secondly, we had originally booked a spectacular room, so we wouldn’t have heard the ground noise if we were on any floor above 10. Christopher also had a lot of attitude and saying that he was confsued wether I was complaining about the noise or the fleas, and he mentioned the bites could have been from the sand lyces from the beach; I told him I'm not happy with the whole situation and how the hotel is dealing with it. After 20 minutes on the phone of arguing and me demanding for a solution and not to treat me like a fool with all sort of excuses, Christopher finally offered a $200 credit for the disturbance. Ideally we just wanted peace and quiet -we did not sleep until 5 am after the nightclub finally ended (1603 had no noise like this).

While those were the bigger annoyances during our stay, there are other issues that we encountered during our stay:
•Lunch by the pool was served to the wrong beach chairs we ended up waiting 45 minutes before I noticed that our lunch may be sitting at the chairs in front of us. After I flagged down a server (not ours to begin with) he had the audacity to serve us the meal that was sitting out in the sun for 45 minutes. I had to argue that that was ridiculous before he allowed us to order something fresh. The consolation: the server gave us a free diet coke - I don't drink pop.
- There is not enough sun umbrella available at the pool, we were put on the waitlist since 10am but didn't get one still when we left at around 4pm so we were in the sun for the whole day.
•Breakfast at Solea, the A/C was dripping brown water onto the white table cloth.
•Cleaning staff left a large wet puddle in our room after they cleaned 1603 (safety hazard).
- You have to pay for wifi in the room of USD $15 a day, only free wifi in the lobby

We had come to South Beach to enjoy some sun, nice meals and relax. This was the first time I was visiting Miami (and coming from Hong Kong) and while my friend have been a frequent visitor to South Beach, and have stayed at most of the top rated hotels on the strip, inclusive of being an avid traveler for both pleasure and work and have stayed at world class hotels around the world, never had I been treated with such disrespect from any staff. The managers gave us attitude, excuses after excuses rather than try to rectify the problem and blamed us for issues we are bringing to their attention. I have the choice not to return to the hotel, but please recognize the reason for why I will not return to the W South Beach.

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to read of your negative experience at W South Beach and the substandard service you recieved from our staff and management. Thank you for detailing the occurences of your stay and we will be sure to utilize the information you provided for internal investigation and training for future guest opportunities.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011 via mobile

Hotel was incredible, from security to service. All Rooms were oceanview and beautiful.
Big pool and easy access to beach.
Loved it!

• Stayed June 2011
Dear Guest,

So happy you enjoyed your stay and our staff! We hope to see you again soon!

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights June 13th/14th. Josh greeted us warmly at reception and was nice enough to upgrade us to a Penthouse room. The rooms are extremely large, very well maintained and every room has an ocean view. We also were blown away that the staff all signed a birthday card and provided a tray of chocolates. First class all the way! The pool and beach area are perfect for couples or family's. They will reserve you a location at the pool, provide towels and drinks. This hotel is far and away the best in the Southbeach area. We wish we could return next week, it was that good!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

What a wonderful and memorable birthday experience! I am so happy that our staff made your visit unique and special. Hope to see you again next year to celebrate again!

Hoorn, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

First the W is a very beautiful and good looking hotel. It is new, hip & trendy, and it is on the right spot, right on South Beach. So far so good. But there are downsides.... the service varies but it certainly not 5-star. The receptionists can be rude, the breakfast team not organized, housekeeping depending on the housekeepr. Further there is noise, and specially in the weekend on the lower floors on the S/E side.... you won't sleep till 5 am because of slamming doors, taxi's and noisy party-goers. No problem if you party yourself, but not funny if you stay with a family. After the first night we asked for better room and they moved us from 3th to 16th floor, which not only meant that the noise got very much less, the view improved dramaticly! Further don't count on a poollounger at the mainpool unless you are extreme early of bribe the poolguides over-average. Further during the weekend the population was 35% male gay. Not a problem for me, but at a certain moment there were nearly no females around the pool, not really the environment for a family swim. During weekdays there were families and other kids.
WIFI is expensive, free available only in the lobby but only free after a lot of hassle. The bedroom is nice and bed very comfortable; only the person who place the safe on the floor of the cupboard should be fired, you can only use the safe sitting on your knees. We had one more major incident; one night when we came back from dinner we found our rental car parked in front of the hotel, doors open, keys inside! We hurried to the concierge, oeps a mistake..... solved quickly, but very unaccurate. Was everything bad? Certainly not. It is a beautiful hotel and a lot of service goes OK, but considering the amount of money they charge I wouldn't recommend the place, there must be better hotels of this category in SOBE.

Room Tip: Go for a high floor