“Way Overpriced; Does Not Honor Starwood Platinum Status” 2 of 5 stars
Review of W South Beach

You added W South Beach to your Saves list
W South Beach
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2201 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #10 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Singapore, Singapore
“Way Overpriced; Does Not Honor Starwood Platinum Status”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

It is not as ridiculously overpriced as the Setai (where I used to live), but it's still overpriced for what it is, especially since it is looking so worn after such a short time of being open. There were dark stains on the cloth sofa, a huge water mark/stain on the wood credenza, a broken wooden blind, and dirty outdoor furniture on the balcony (which is not big enough to be called a "terrace", although they do call it a terrace).

If you have Starwood Platinum status, beware. This property does not offer late check out (noon is latest) and does not have any type of lounge for free breakfast. (Breakfast for two was $65.) They also didn't offer the best available upgrade. The best upgrade they will offer is to Oasis suite, although none were available. I was offered a Fantastic suite on a low floor at first. Upon asking for something better, they coughed up the same suite on a higher floor.

The location is directly on the ocean at 23rd street, about 7 somewhat far, but walkable blocks from Lincoln Rd. if you're looking for hip, the Gansevoort next door might be a better choice. There are also a few good, recently renovated properties closer to Lincoln Rd.

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am sorry you were less than satisfied with your recent visit. We do value or SPG Gold and Platinum members, and we do the best we can to accomodate the perks of the program based on availability, and I am sorry we could not fulfill your wishes requested during this visit.

W SoBe GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

I want to clarify my review re:customer service. Honestly every waitress, bartender, pool attendant and retail sales person was wonderful. We were with a group of 6 rooms for a family 90th birthday. The staff was extremely helpful while we were there..but the mark of a superior hotel is how they treat you after you've checked out and have paid.
I left a shopping bag next to my suitcase and it did not get taken down when we checked out. I realized it as soon as I got to the airport. I called the hotel and was put on hold. Eventually had to board my plane. I called 8 AM the next morning and spoke to someone who said they would get back to me right away after he did some investigation. Two days later I called back again. The same energetic young told me he's still investigating and would call me right back. However he also wanted my Rewards #. This was the first time I ha stayed there. Honestly...I had no hopes of seeing the gift in that bag every again. But I wanted someone to atleast return a call. Saturday I called a third time. same run around! Still waiting for that call. Last Friday I csimply had it and called and once again asked for the Manager -this time customer service. Another bright and bubbly young man promised to call me back ASAP. It's a good thing my self-esteem is pretty solid! Finally an hour later a very nice girl took all my info ...for the 4th time . And said she'd look into it! I told her that both she and I knew I'd not see the bag and it's contents again. She laughed and said she'd call or e-mail me later that day. I have never heard from her. And like I said I know the gift is gone.
My daughter lives next door to the W and we had enjoyed our time there but the horrible attitude has left me with a bad taste. There are lots of other expensive and pretentious hotels in the neighborhood. We'll stay in them next time.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I am glad you had a fun and memorable 90th birthday weekend celebrating with your family. I am shocked and displeased to read about your experience post departure with your bag. I wish you would have contacted me directly and I would have investigated the matter immediately and I apologize you recieved the run around from our staff. I have ensured this has been addressed with the team.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

Our stay in Sobe was over a weekend - 2 nights. Large room with spacious balcony facing the ocean. Very comfortable. Ordered room service for bfast and it was just ok. Not noisy at all. Slept well. We had lunch on the beach and it was fine. Great time. Very W !

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Albeit a short stay, so glad to hear it was a great visit and that you enjoyed our facilities. We hope to see you again for a longer period of time next visit!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

The hotel was amazing and we loved every bit of it! The decor is very chic and contemporary! We were upgraded to the Oasis Suite which was gorgeous. The staff at the hotel (from the managers to the door men) were very pleasant, welcoming and helpful which was surprising after some of the reviews i had read prior to visiting. I would definitely recommend this hotel!! I loved it and i would visit again for sure!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

The Oasis Suite is definitely one of my favorite suites in the hotel! Spacious and lovely, and chic as you mentioned. So glad you enjoyed your room and our facilities. Come back and visit soon!

Best Regards,

San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

I was amazed by every aspect of this hotel! The location, the hotel facilities, the room, the food, the service! Every little detail left me wanting to stay more than one night! This is the hotel to stay at if you are young, fun loving, and want to feel fabulous and like at home. The check in process was smooth and I even checked in to my room, 1802, early. The room was spotless and the view of Miami beach incredible! The pool area is very nice and the breakfast at Solea was great! The free Acura ride provided by the hotel came in handy as well when we needed to move to the other place we where staying in. I would stay here again no questions asked!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Wow! What a lovely visit and 1802 is a great room with amazing views! So glad you had the chance to utilize some of the fun services we offer and that you enjoyed the hotel altogether. Hope to welcome you back soon!

Bedfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

The hotel is located at the end of South Beach and about a 15 minute walk to Lincoln Road. It is cool, trendy, uber chic and a fantastic people watching venue.

The service overall is of an extremely high calibre but the majority of staff (all of whom are extremely beautiful) can appear to be a little preoccupied with their own appearance as opposed to "going the extra mile" and serving customers ..... a little reminiscent of Abercrombie & Fitch........

Having said that the rooms were fantastic, the bathrooms sublime, and the view to die for. The nightclub was an education with the tables being charged at $300 dollars a time - but as they say if you can't beat them..... join them!

The pool area, especially at the weekends, became extremely busy but this is because the hotel is so popular. Overall we had a brilliant time and would definately go back.

Room Tip: A view over the beach - the sunset is beautiful
Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience and so delighted you had an amazing visit, and a great time at the night club!!! So happy we created some fun memories for you and your group. Hope to see you soon!

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

You will W definitely get square footage for your rate but, unfortunately, service does not seem to be included.

Even though the W promotes "Whatever/Whenever" it is definitely not the case once you have checked in. Eventhough check out is at 11 am, check in is not until 4pm.
Concierge is impossible to reach when you call them, best is to see them in person.
You are put on hold when you call for anything else.
There is a waiting list for lounges and umbrellas by the pool so when I found a lounge by the beach I was very happy. That was until after one hour I still couldnt get a drink served. When I went to the bar myself to put the order in it was a good 30 minutes before I got them. Also, do not bother ordering food, it is not great.

That being said, if you dont give high importance to service, the rooms are sleek and modern and definitely large compared to the other hotels on Collins. (Gansevoort has large rooms as well but less nice than W) Another plus is the Bliss products in the bathroom (Bliss has a spa in the hotel)

Too be honest, next stay I will be back at The Setai.....

Room Tip: Get the corner suite or the duplex
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
WSoBeGM, Manager at W South Beach, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on trip advisor.

I am disappointed to read that your stay was less than perfect on your recent visit. We work diligently on providing exceptional service to all of our guests and I am sorry that we failed in exceeding your expectations. If you decide to visit Miami Beach again, I welcome you to contact me directly at gm.wsobe@whotels.com and I will ensure your experience will be flawless from start to finish.

W SoBe GM

Been to W South Beach? Share your experiences!