“Solid” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Charleston, South Carolina
“Solid”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Just spent a few nites at the SLS from Charleston SC. Great time! Great scenery! The Hyde Beach pool was tops on my highlight reel. Impeccable service by all the staff, as they were quick to please. Yahaira was 'spot on' with my requests. I would say she was prompt, professional and poised with a smile. She was surrounded by a great team to consist of Shane and Luis. I thank you all. I had to remove my earplugs and turn off my music due to a continuous spin of foot tappin' beats. I checked out with an "SLS Exclusive CD". Nothing negative about this place other than I had to leave. If you wanna chill by a fantastic pool and relax with some amazing people, I recommend this place. Looking forward to a my next visit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear JLH8675309 your kind words on SLS South beach are truly appreciated. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed HYDE, it really is a great atmosphere out at the beach. We try very hard to create a Luxury experience at the pool whilst making it a fun time for all of our guests. We hope to have you back to the hotel Regards

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

This hotel is all about the clubs and the scene, and not about providing a high level of service or room amenities for the guests. We stayed the SLS Suite, $1250 a night and the balcony was great but the furniture was old, moldy and dirty. The room did not have any music player and when asked they said ""we do not put them in the rooms", not even the suites. The elevators are so slow that you may wait 15 minutes or decide to take the stairs, which cause another problem if you do get an elevator, "they stop at every floor and no one gets on". All of this would have not put this hotel into my "never stay here for service category" had it not been for a 4 hour plus AC issue. After getting to our suite at 3:30 we found the AC not working in either room. Maintenance came up and both gentleman were very nice. On three occasions, they thought they fixed it and we had to call back to say it shut down again. During the entire 4 hours, not one manager called or visited to see what they could do or if they could provide any alternative, since our room was now over 90 degrees. I did go down to the front desk, asked if they could put us in any other room and they said, no sorry we are fully booked but we can "buy you a drink" which I declined. The front desk assured us that it would be fixed. After the almost 4 hours, the front desk called and said they would reduce my rate by $300 for the night but they did not know when the AC would be fixed, but they felt it would. Again, at this point no manager had reached out to us and they offered no reassurance that if the AC was not repaired that we would have a place to sleep. Due to that we checked out and went to another hotel at 7:30 after waiting over 30 minutes at the $44.00 valet.

One additional thing, the next day I received a survey from the hotel and I completed it. With-in 30 minutes I received an email from the manager telling me he knew about it and that the AC was fixed after we left. No matter, if your looking for a place to be seen, then this is your hotel, but if your looking for service and comfort as a hotel guest move on to another hotel that cares about you as a guest.

Room Tip: If you stay in the SLS suite, the noise in the parlor from the AC units above are very load. The bat...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear tony917 thank you for taking the time to review SLS South Beach your feedback is greatly appreciated and taken very seriously. It pains me to hear that you did not enjoy your stay however we will take all of your points and use them to grow and improve. In regard to the AC, I am very sorry that the system in your room went down, we were able to fix the issue however due to the complexity of our AC system it did take a little longer to fix the specific issue with your unit. I can assure you here at SLS our hotel guests are our number one priority and the staff works very hard to ensure that we exceed guest expectations. If you would be willing to give the hotel a second chance I am sure we can change your opinion. Please feel free to reach out to me for future reservation so that I can see to your arrangements personally.

Strasbourg, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I stayed at the SLS South Beach with my wife and daughter in July. We stayed 13 nights and really enjoyed it.
The SLS hotel is a very nice property. Both restaurants (Katsuya & The Bazaar by Jose Andres) are phenomenal in terms of food, service and setting. Everything we ate was exquisite and the staff was always very nice to us and eager to help.

We staying in a nice suite and really loved it. We just regretted the lack of a proper way to play music (after we requested it, we were provided with an "iHome" basic iPod dock which was better than nothing but not what you would expect in such a nice hotel). We also regretted the lack of bathtub or 2nd shower. And last detail : there were no easy to access electrical outlets on either sides of the bed. Besides that, everything was great in our room.

We were very disappointed with the pools. There are two pools in this hotel : one for guests and another one (Hyde Beach) that is open to the public for pool parties. We found the guest pool to be way too calm and quiet for us (if you're looking for a quiet pool, you will like it). The Hyde Beach pool was deserted during the week. But Saturdays & Sundays were fun there. Keep in mind though that you have to be 21 to use this pool. So if you're a hotel guest with children, you won't be able to use this pool or attend the pool parties.

As the pool scene was too quiet , we ended up spending most of our days at the Delano pool which we could use as we stayed at this property many times.

As for the evenings, the SLS is definitely the place to be. The restaurants are lively and full. Hyde Beach bar is always packed with beautiful people and a great place to dance and/or have a drink.

Last word about food: breakfasts ! Continental breakfast was just great with a buffet featuring Serrano ham and Chorizo from spain.

All in all, we had a great stay at the SLS and if the pool scene was a bit more lively it'd be, without a doubt, the best hotel to stay at in South Beach.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear fr8d thank you for your candid review on SLS South Beach, the feedback is greatly appreciated. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your 13 night stay. In regards to the Lack of music options in your suite, I will be definitely be looking into some options for the room. In regard to the pool parties we make it is 21 and up due to the party atmosphere on the weekends which is catered more to adults. It pleases me that you enjoyed your stay and we hope that SLS will be your home away from home for future trips to South beach.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Very good stay at the sls hotel I would recommend this hotel in Miami, the rooms were it was clean tidy and had great restaurants. The only thing is the size of the room be aware they can be small! But overall it got a great location and has fun bars in the evening. So I would come back again and would recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear PSG001, thank you for your review on SLS South Beach, your feedback is greatly appreciated. In regards to the size of the room, I agree with you that we do not have largest room on the beach. With that being said we do offer Villas that offer significantly more room. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to have you back to the hotel in the near future.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

This is a great stylish fun hotel. It was my first time in Miami and I was there for 6 nights in July. I was looking at staying at the W which is generally considered the best hotel on South Beach but instead someone suggested the SLS and I'm glad I took there advice and stayed here. Just to be clear I wanted a lively hotel with a fun young but classy crowd and this is exactly what I got. I still wanted top service and to have a nice quiet room so I didn't want to stay at a place like the Clevelander which has a much lower standard and cheaper crowd than the SLS. The hotel has two pools, one more chilled just for hotel guests and the Hyde Beach open to everyone which is more lively. During the day I spent most of my time at Hyde Beach club which is popular with hotel guests and locals alike. On the weekends there is a $500 min spend for a poolside bed at Hyde Beach. Some people may complain about the $500 min spend but for these sort of places that is the norm and over the course of the day you'll easily spend that. It was packed on the weekends and a lot of fun. In a nutshell this hotel had great service, is styled very well, has a great fun atmosphere, is in a good location and is popular with a young affluent crowd.

My one and only complaint about the hotel is with the bathrooms. They are one of those all-in-one open plan shower/toilet/sink type bathrooms and no matter how hard I tried after a shower the whole bathroom would be flooded and all the mats would then be soaked on the floor. The angle at which the floor slopes into the drain in the shower is not enough and so during your shower water slowly floods the bathroom which was very annoying, especially walking back in there at 5am for a pee and having a cold wet floor to walk on. Apart from that everything was great with this place and I'll be back there next March for the Miami Winter Music Conference.

I would highly recommend this hotel but perhaps not to families or people on a tight budget.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Dear David N, Thanks so much for your kind remarks about your stay at SLS Hotel South Beach. We’re really proud of the warm, intimate boutique atmosphere we create at the hotel and we’re so glad to hear you enjoyed your luxury visit to the vibrant center of South Beach, Miami. Every day we strive to make our home feel like yours, while exposing you to the spectacular sights, sounds and tastes of South Florida. In regards to the small bathrooms, I agree we do not have the largest bathrooms on the beach, with that being said we do offer villas that have much larger bathrooms. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and I will be sure to share your review with our team.

San Diego, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I arrived here @ 7:30a.m. on the day I was checking in. I thought the concierge service at my credit card called to let them know that I was arriving on a "red eye" from the West Coast. When I got to the front desk, they said I would have to wait a short while because even though the room was available, they couldn't let me check in until the cleaning crew gave the go ahead! Bizarre but I thought it would be a matter of minutes. It turned out to be 2 hours with a different excuse coming every 10 mins. During this time, 3 separate managers - front desk gal, hotel director & breakfast director came over & said "if you had paid for the night before, this wouldn't have happened"! I told them about the mix up & that I was willing to pay - to no avail. After flying for nearly 6 hours the last thing I wanted to do was wait 2 more. The icing on the cake was when I finally got to the room - several items were missing like a pad & pen, shampoo & wash cloths. Not sure what the cleaning staff checked! BTW, the rooms are very small!
I was supposed to stay for 6 nights & checked out after 2. Every time I (a single woman traveling alone) got on the elevator 2 or more young drunk men got on & while they were nice, it was disconcerting. I called over to the James Royal Palm which is 2 blocks away & much classier. The James Royal Palm is beautiful & the service is fantastic! Price was relatively the same. Wouldn't waste my money on the SLS even if they gave me the room for $50. a night!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and relay to us your experience at SLS Hotel South Beach. We take guest comments very seriously and though it pains us to hear your experience wasn’t positive, we see every opportunity as a chance to learn and to grow. Though situations like yours are rare, it is something we must always be vigilant about as we continually try to enrich your stay with the best boutique experience in South Beach, Miami. The next time you’re back in town, I would love the chance to personally make sure your next stay at our luxury hotel is an all-out success

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Best trip to Miami I've taken! Most of the credit is given to the fact that our stay at the SLS was incredible! The staff was helpful and extremely nice, not to mention the pool party at Hyde Beach. :) won't be staying anywhere else!

• Stayed June 2013
Ayo A, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Dear Emcalls, thank you for taking the time to review SLS South Beach your feedback is greatly appreciated. It brings me great pleasure to hear that you will only be staying at SLS for future trips to South Beach. I happy that we were able to exceed you expectations and look forward to having you back to the hotel in the near future.

Hotel Manager

Been to SLS South Beach? Share your experiences!