“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

The overall design of the hotel is quite disappointing. For instance, rather than having the feeling of entering a lovely hotel, it feels rather like entering several different restaurants all with completely different designs as well as an open kitchen with waitstaff walking in and out. There is also an immediate smell of food once entering the hotel along with an open kitchen where the cooking is visible along with a sort of chaotic movement of staff bustling about to serve the restaurants. The design of each space is completely disparate so there is absolutely no cohesion. This includes the design of the small reception area which has no relationship at all to the design of the other areas, which also do not relate to eachother. In addition, there is quite a bit of mirror behind the reception desk...the mirror was not very clean, detracting from any impact the design may have had. It is necessary to walk directly through one of the restaurants to go outside in order to reach the swimming pool area. This isn't as negative during the day as the restaurant isn't quite so full. However, in the evening it isn't ideal as streams of people are walking back and forth while people are dining, along with the staff heading in and out of the kitchen.....the streams of people bang into chairs and it simply isn't peaceful but rather chaotic with activity. Once passing through the restaurant and arriving outside, there is immediately another outdoor restaurant and bar area with yet another completely different design aesthetic.....and to the left yet another restaurant, although inside, with again a completely different design. After passing through all of the differently designed restaurants, the swimming pool is beyond. Almost all of the seating around the swimming pool faces north so not facing in the direction of the sun most of the day. In addition, the seating faces directly into a building with open cabanas....it feels heavy and not lovely to look at. Further, the street to the south of the swimming pool is visible so it not only doesn't feel very private, there is also quite a bit of street noise. Finally, the typical rooms within the hotel are inexcusably small. There might have been an issue with landmark codes which may have made increasing the size of the rooms difficult when renovating the hotel, however a stronger effort should have be made because the rooms are extremely small....even uncomfortable for one person...this includes the bathroom as well. On a positive note, the staff is attentive and welcoming.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Paul_Cardona, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear sdwgns,

Thanks for taking the time to give us feedback. Although the design was not what you expected, I do hope that you would consider coming back to visit us as we are still finalizing all the details for our Grand Opening in November. These additional design elements will complete the hotels “Dream-Like” design envisioned by Philippe Starck.

Savor Life Slowly
Paul E Cardona
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

The SLS is definitely the place to stay when you visit Miami. The rooms are extremely clean, and the shower and bed are amazing. In a town not known for its service, you will pinch yourself to make sure you are in Miami. The staff is very welcoming, friendly and attentive. The hotel boasts two of the hottests restaurants in town along with Hyde Beach, a cool lounge with its own pool. In fact the property is so beautiful, we didn't venture off for two days! Love this place, can't wait to return!

• Stayed September 2012
Paul_Cardona, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Mickeyj1000,

So fantastic to hear you enjoyed staying with us just as much as we enjoyed hosting you! We work very hard to stand out from the usual Miami Beach scene and I love that you noticed that. I hope to see you back on property soon, you are always welcome!

Bellevue, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

This is one of the best hotel experiences I have had. Visited for my bf's birthday everything was wonderful. Aside from one small hiccup at check in (Nicole took wonderful care of us) - this was an incredible 4 days. The quality of food is unmatched, we went to other restaurants in the area and i wish we would have just dined at our hotel the whole time. VERY high quality ingredients (makes all the difference) Brunch at Jose Andres is amazing, Pedro cheered us up every morning with his great service (THANK YOU!!) ~ Melody at the Hyde pool bar was so sweet & Julio at the concierge desk was extremely helpful. They have 3 house BMW's that will take you pretty much anywhere in SoBe as well - very helpful.

I do see a lot of people dislike the room size and although the are not spacious, very well decorated and well used space. We had an ocean view room on the 8th floor, great views and there was plenty of space to hang my clothes (open closet, we didn't have an armoire)

Food, drinks are not cheap but its south beach and i wasn't expecting anything else. If we head back down to South Beach we will definitely stay here again. Why ruin perfection?

I read over some of the other reviews quickly and i just didn't have any issues with slow room service or anyone forgetting anything - thanks for a wonderful weekend of celebrations!

Room Tip: if you are booking through expedia, i would pay the extra through them to upgrade. When we got to th...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul_Cardona, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear Hazel0704,
I couldn't help but smile after reading your posting! Thank you for taking the time to share the details. Our entire team is fully committed to delivering PERFECTION every day. Your kind words are extremely motivating!! Thank you. I hope to welcome you back in person on your next visit to South Beach.

My very best,
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I've never written a review on a hotel before but after my recent stay @ SLS South Beach I had no choice!!! From the time I stepped thru the doors it was nothing but a terrible and disheartening experience, Jennifer the guest services agent who checked me in authorized my credit card for 2 different transactions with out my permission for room incedentials. Then after I had checked out and was giving back the cash that I had to put back down after my card was already charged I was called back to the hotel and told my card would not go thru so I would have to give the cash back that was giving to me to pay for the room and wait for the authorization hold to drop off my card. The worst experience I have ever had at a hotel period point blank. Be aware the workers here along with manaent are not qualified to handle such and established Beverly Hills name at the south beach location. Oh yeah I was also told by the manager of Hyde Beach when I walked in to get a cup of ice that I couldn't brig my bottle of water and red bull from cvs into the pool area because it wasn't purchased @ the hotel!

Room Tip: The Setai South Beach would be my final recommendation if your a top notch spender!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Sharell C,
Please accept my sincere apologies for the payment challenges you experienced during your arrival. I believe you are referencing the customary authorization, not charges, for incidentals but will reach out to you personally so I better understand exactly what occurred. It is important to me that the team is delivering the best experience every time, especially as the arrival process sets the tone for your entire stay. Thank you for taking the time to share your details.

Grand Cayman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I don't write reviews often; however my stay at SLS Hotel was beyond perfect, I have to share. Upon checking in, we enjoyed the beautiful decor of the hotel and the atmosphere of the lobby.
My husband and I arrived to our beautiful and spacious room to find a lovely welcome card and a bottle of chilled Champagne to start to celebrations!
The next day we met with the wonderful Andres Gomez, our concierge, whom I had been previously corresponding with in preparation for our arrival. He was able to direct us to a fantastic breakfast cafe, some history on south beach and plans for our day. He helped make our trip great!
The Hotel has a hotel pool and a separate livelier Pool Party. We spent an afternoon at the pool party with all the beautiful people enjoying delicious drinks and sushi from Katsuya. Again, the service and atmosphere was great! You must try the frozen pops on a hot day

I could go on and on about all the great things about this hotel. We will be back for sure and can't wait to enjoy everything again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Jessica T
I am so happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your recent stay at SLS Hotel South Beach! I will be certain to post and share your feedback with the team, specifically Andres, and thank them for delivering a great experience. Please feel free to reach out to me so I may personally assist you with your next stay.

Kimberling City, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Chef Thomas is amazing and talented - the 10 plus course tapas dinner is truly an experience of a life time - at Bizarre, go in with an open mind - ...... you will be blown away with the presentation, service and the food! Make sure to go to the outside bar and have Taylor make you a cocktail -she is not only beautiful and sweet but can makes an outstanding cuba libre!!! We stayed at the Shore Club, which was a couple of doors down, so I cannot comment on the the hotel, but it looked incredible and from the very first person who greeted us - it was an a great experience. We would stay here in the future!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Meghan C,
Thank you for the wonderful note and kind words about Chef Thomas and the team at The Bazaar. I hope you will be able to return to South Beach and that you'll allow me to assist you with room reservations. I look forward to welcoming you back real soon!

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This past weekend I had my birthday dinner at Katsuya. The service my party received was nothing short of five star treatment. I even had a cake my friends had brought for me, the staff brought the cake out, cut and served it, and even boxed up the leftovers for us. The food was out of this world as usual. There's no other place I would have chosen to celebrate my special dinner. Highly recommended!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Paul_Cardona, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear Erika S,

Happy Birthday! We are thrilled that you chose to celebrate your birthday at Katsuya. I’ll make sure to share your positive experience with the General Manager and team at Katsuya. We look forward to having you and your guests back real soon.

Paul E. Cardona

Been to SLS South Beach? Share your experiences!