“SLS Hotel South Beach - Lovely New Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save Up To 30%
Ranked #28 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Toronto
“SLS Hotel South Beach - Lovely New Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at the SLS Hotel for 4 days. We were there to celebrate her birthday! The hotel has a soft opening until November so there are some kinks to work out. But overall the hotel is probably the best and trendiest hotel in South Beach at the moment. The hotel is beautifully designed by Philippe Starck and James Beard with Award-winning chef José Andrés. The staff is all beautiful and very accommodating. No attitude, they are very helpful!
Here are good things about the hotel:
• Fantastic décor and service
• The restaurants and bars are beautiful and are very good if you’re a foodie.
• The pools are best part of the hotel – There are 2 pools, one that I would call the party pool (Hyde Beach) with lots of beautiful people (broad age range). The front pool is mellow by comparison
• Night-life is great, everyone seems to come to hotel on Friday and Saturday nights for the outdoor lounges and Hyde Beach – no need to leave the hotel
• Interesting people from all over the world
• The shower in the room- large with a rain shower
• Concierge extremely helpful
• Room service prompt
Here are kinks they need to work on:
• The hotel has an allocated spot on the beach however guests have to pay for chairs and cabanas – I found that a little too much! These should be complimentary if you’re a guest
• The room are small with no closets – there should be more hooks to hang things
• There was only one chair in our room to sit on and there were 2 of us.
• Drinks by the pool can be very expensive – Champagne U$200+ and cocktails U$20.00
I’m looking forward to going back to South Beach in November and I’m hoping to be at the SLS Hotel for their hard opening. Overall a great new hotel! We had a fantastic time and loved staying there for four days.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Paul_Cardona, Manager at SLS South Beach, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear projectno,

Thank you for your kind words, we are thrilled that you enjoyed your time at SLS Hotel South Beach. We will make sure to take in to consideration your suggested improvements and share with our staff through our continued training and development programs.

We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

The SLS in Miami is a beautifully decorated hotel and very trendy. The hotel doesn't really have a lobby, if you want to have coffee in the morning, you have to sit on one of the two chairs they have by the hotel entrance. The tables in the lobby are reserved for diners only.. kind of odd.

The rooms in this hotel are probably the smallest I've ever seen. The rooms are about 250sq ft, have either double beds or one king.. They are only designed for 2 guests, but even with two guests the rooms are not functional. There is little room for luggage, there is NO closet! This is the first hotel room I've seen without a closet. The bathroom is tiny with no counter space. The shower is nice, large. The rooms also don't have a way to play music! There is an iPod dock but it doesn't play music. Their IT dept said that it only plays videos and but no music, very inconvenient. Also, no clock, no ice on any floors..

The pool is gorgeous, although if you want a bottle of champagne, you'll have to pay "club" or "pool party" prices, over $200 for a $30 bottle of champagne. The SLS has to understand that if hotel guests want to hang by the pool and have a drink, they shouldn't have to pay pool party or club prices. Very disappointing.

The food in this hotel is phenomenal. We dined at the Bazaar one night which was great. Ate by the pool during the day and ate at Katsuya another time.

Overall nice hotel but I wouldn't stay here again mainly because of the rooms. I hear the Perry Hotel has larger rooms, probably with closets..

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear rhafez01,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us your honest feedback. It is important to us that we take all comments seriously and want to assure you that we will address your concerns with our Leadership teams.

Savor Life Slowly
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here a couple of days on a business trip! The rooms were a little small but aside from that everything was impeccable! I had dinner at Katsuya, delicious food and we really had a good time! Its impressive compared to some other places i habe stayed at before! Hotel service is very amicable! Tess at the front desk took good care of us, and so did Ryan and Edison at the door. I will definitely come back next time i am in Miami!

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Jetmira1983,

We love hearing positive reviews like this, thank you for sharing your experience. We pride ourselves in a very friendly staff and will make sure to share your comments with our the entire team, especially the specific ones you mention.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

This was probably the best, most enjoyable hotel I have ever been to. I would rather stay here any day then Delano or Ritz where the rates are probably much higher. The hotel decor is amazing and the hotel isn't so huge like other hotels so it has a more cozy/comfortable feeling. Staff were amazing and we had no complaints at all throughout the trip. Rooms are great, beds are comfortable, and showers are big enough for two people with the two shower heads. The food is to die for, especially the breakfast at The Bazaar. Best part of the hotel are the pools. Friday and Saturday nights are busy at night and no need to go out, especially for dinner. I will definitely return.

Room Tip: Higher floor, ocean view. Request an upgrade when you get there.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear SS_Toronto_123,

We are thrilled to hear you think SLS Hotel is “the best, most enjoyable hotel” you have ever been to! Our SLS Hotel family welcomes you back any time to our South Beach home.

We look forward to having you back.

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

I stayed at SLS for about a week and must say the good sure outweighs the bad and they don't call this a "soft opening" for nothing.
First the good:
The clean, chic, sharp look is impressive. The grand drive-in plaza is like nothing else in SoBe. The villas building is a work of art. The rain showers are awesome. The pool water is almost free of chlorin smell, and there are two pools. The location is perfect. Having two full menu restaurants helps, but it really feels like there are four. And the food is good, both at Katsuya and The Bazaar.
The front desk staff, the pool servers (especially Chantel, Randy and Neil), the General Manager, who talks to all guests, the beach/pool managers are all superb.
The hotel attracts celebrity guests, so if you want to stargaze, you have found a perfect spot to set up your tripod.
There is plenty of space to hang out with friends or by yourself in the lobby, outside in the front or the back terrace, even when the weather is rainy.
Now the not so good:
1. The rooms are SMALL. Perhaps this has something to do with the fact the building is landmarked. But please, I mean, please! If you stayed at The Paramount in NYC where the door barely clears the bed, The SLS rooms are hardly any bigger. Yet the pool restroom is a palace in itself. AND there are no closets, only armoires that have a few hangers over the minibar.
2. The lounge chairs and umbrellas on the beach are not free but offered to hotel guests at a small discount. The ubiquitous Boucher Brothers run the beach. This beach from property has little beach presence, which makes it Palm Springs with high humidity. I hope they figure this one out and soon.
3. The hotel caters to 20-40 somethings who come to SoBe to party, who are loud and sometimes obnoxious, especially around Hyde Beach, where the music is LOUD, especially on the weekends. You will hear this music even at the guests-only pool as it is only a few feet away.
4. The pool attendants (all pretty, model-kind young ladies) are mostly clueless and tend to travel in groups and often too involved in their conversation to notice that their help is needed. But I must say Patricia is outstanding!!
5. The security staff is almost rude, impersonal and not warm to guests at all.
6.The breakfast staff is so numerous that you can hardly eat because you are asked every 2-3 minutes if everything is ok or you need anything else. There was one afternoon, though, when the service was ridiculously slow and about the only waiter Pedro was overworked and maybe even frustrated.
7. The gym is small, but adequate.
8. The Salon is not open yet. Don't know where they are going to put it.
9. The elevators are very slow.
The hard opening is scheduled for November so there is time for the hotel to work on what this and other reviews have pointed out. It has the potential to become a resort, in Starck contrast to the rest of SoBe.

Room Tip: The rooms are small. The storage space does not exist. Every room has a view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Dear TravelOnceMonthly,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback. Please accept my apologies for not exceeding your expectations. I have shared your comments with the team and our Director of Security to ensure that we avoid a similar occurrence.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Keep your belongings away from the pool staff. They will give your stuff to security where they deconstruct your bag and they do "inventory" they call it. Well they inventoried my $105 right out of my wallet. I have never felt so violated in my LIFE! Apparently their security cameras were "not set up yet" so I couldn't prove anything. What a way to ruin my vacation. I hate that so much of our money was spent here. SBE man...

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Live for su N,

I was disappointed to read your comments during your last visit to SLS South Beach. I can assure you this is not indicative of the systems we have on property for lost and found items. I have met with the entire Security Department and can assure you that any misunderstandings are handled accordingly moving forward.
I would be happy to speak with you in person to understand the specifics because your feedback is very important to me.

Please feel free to contact the hotel and ask for me directly.
I hope to have the opportunity to turn your experience into a positive one.

New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Came down for two days business trip and decided to try this new property.

First the good - gorgeous property and very attentive staff. The room, was great and I was upgraded to a corner because I registered on iPrefer. Shower is among the best I've seen. The bathroom, heaven-like (trust me, I know, see below). The pool, phenomenal.

Now the bad - After a good night sleep on my fist night, had a delicious breakfast. Unfortunately, it made me sick and within an hour I was on the toilet by the pool (seating and kneeling, I'll spare you the details). On my way back to the room, I stopped and made a comment to the food manager on staff (Danny). He is apparently a trained medical professional, because he immediately informed me that food borne illness takes 18 hours to incubate, so it must have been the dinner I had elsewhere. No apology and no owning up. Went up to the room, tried to connect with hotel manager (voice-mail did not take message) and his/her assistant (left voice mail but have not heard back). After another hour on/over the toilet, called my doctor who suggested getting back home. The front desk was very accommodating, let me forgo the second night and deducted the price of the meal. Made it back home and been recovering for the past 24 hours.

This is clearly a case of inexperience and lack of training on many level. Food goes bad, happens all the time and in the best restaurants. How it was handled was poor, and unacceptable at a 5-star hotel.

I hope to be back, in a couple of years once the bugs are ironed out. The only thing, there are many very good hotels in South Beach, so why take the risk?

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear nnatan,

Thank you for providing me the details of your stay. I regret that we were not able to connect in person when you were on property. I have met with the Director of Food and Beverage and we have implemented a clear system to communicate feedback such as yours and what needs to happen to resolve any situations.
Please feel free to contact me personally if I can be of assistance on a future visit to Miami Beach.

Paul Cardona

Been to SLS South Beach? Share your experiences!