“This hotel MADE our South Beach Miami trip!” 5 of 5 stars

Pelican Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   826 Ocean Dr., Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #16 of 202 Hotels in Miami Beach
Austin
“This hotel MADE our South Beach Miami trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Lets list the hard facts that made The Pelican the BEST choice for our lodging while in Miami:

*FREE ALCOHOLIC HAPPY HOUR FROM 4-6pm. Yes. That's AS MANY DRINKS that you would like from these hours as a hotel guest. Just a heads up, once you START getting their yummy mojitos, you won't be able to stop. (Ask for them to add a splash of SPRITE instead of CLUB SODA. Made my trip, seriously.)
*Complimentary breakfast each night you stay at The Pelican. And not crappy bagels and cream cheese; an actual entree from their menu.
*Free Beach Towels that you can check out from the front desk
*Free Beach shaded chairs on the beach that is seriously 200 feet from the front of the hotel.
*Free WiFi

These great accommodations would have made this hotel a great choice, but the super friendly staff made the stay AMAZING. The front desk clerk not only gave us great recommendations to Cuban restaurants around the area, but she also helped give me directions to anywhere I needed, and also helped me fax off some important documents that needed to go out that day.

The rooms are each themed differently; we stayed in Best Little Horehouse. Cutest little room. With a total of about 30 or so rooms, it's really the closest that you can get to being in a close knitted community of a hostel, in all the positive ways.

Seriously the WAY TO GO when it comes to staying in Miami. It was right next to everything you'd wanna see: All the best clubs around, the beach is right across the street, and 2 blocks up there's the Miami Local bus, which is 25 cents a ride to take you anywhere up and down the stretch of Miami Beach.

STAY AT THE PELICAN!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Stayed here before travelling transatlantic on a cruise, so we had 3 days in the hotel prior to leaving, great hotel, and enjoyable stay, would stay there again, the happy hour for guests is great. looking forward to the next time, the staff are so friendly and helpful. take advantage of the free beach area and central location on miami beach its a must

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

There are so many perks about this hotel that I don't know where to begin! Before I do, I must point out to you that my stay here almost didn't happen because the mother of my travel companion fell very ill shortly before our trip. Since we had purchased my stay on Hotwire, without trip insurance, there wasn't a lot that The Pelican could do to refund our purchase. I spoke with Mai at the front desk about two weeks before our trip. She was friendly, accommodating, and compassionate. She offered several possible solutions to our problem with a smile that I could "see" over the phone! Thankfully, my friend's mom made a miracle recovery and we didn't have to cancel our vacation. So, we arrived at The Pelican Hotel on a bright and sunny Thursday afternoon, bags in tow.

Now, who greats their guests with a smile and a hug? Mai, that's who! She was the greatest front desk manager/concierge a hotel guest could ask for. She even sent up a surprise bottle of premium champagne for us after check-in. She certainly set the stage for the first of many future stays at my newfound favorite hotel!

The cool thing about Pelican Hotel is that each guest room has a unique theme. After reviewing the hotel website, I choose several possible rooms and informed Mai of my preferences, which were not guaranteed. When we checked in, though, I was surprised to learn that I had been assigned the Me Tarzan, You Vain room. It's a cute room on the corner of the third floor with a jungle theme. The room was clean, the theme was vintage, and room service was quick and friendly. The bed was a little too firm for my taste, but hey, I didn't come to South Beach to sleep.

I must point out that the location of this hotel is right in the thick of things. It's on 8th & Ocean for Pete's sake! It's close to everything synonymous with SoBe--the beach, shopping, nightlife, great drinks & eats---just everything! The Pelican Hotel provides a complimentary Guest Appreciation breakfast daily. This is cooked to order food, not continental bagels and coffee. Each night, there is a Pelican Happy Hour for hotel guests, which includes complimentary alcoholic beverages. Need I say more?

Well, just one more thing, the hotel restaurant is great for al fresco dining and lends itself well to people-watching and observing other SoBe sights!

As our stay was coming to a close, we really didn't want to leave. This was such a wonderful and fun-filled vacation, I didn't want it to be over. At check out, Mai again went above and beyond and arranged for her taxi connection, Percy, who got us to FLL seemingly at the speed of light! I just can't say enough good things about her and our visit!

Again, I was more than satisfied from check-in to check-out at The Pelican Hotel. I fell in love with this place and I do believe I will always stay here on any future visits to South Beach. I can't wait to try the Best Wh*rehouse or the Viva Las Vegas Rooms next time!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Salem, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The two of us friends shared a twin room. It was small but adequate for space. The bathroom was big but sink, mirror, everything was in the room which made getting ready tricky. Also, bathroom not ventilated so made getting ready much more sticky! The AC in the room was nice and cold. The fridge and water was a nice touch. There is also a safe. Although, everything felt safe enough. We really enjoyed the decor, and the flatscreen TV. The beds however, so hard. So hard. They really need to add some sort of memory foam topper. DIdn't sleep well because of that. Would have been a 5 star review otherwise.
We ended up eating 2 extra meals in the lobby restaurant in addition to breakfast and happy hour. We appreciated both quite a bit! We stayed for July 4th and were right across from the fireworks, awesome! Would maybe stay here again, not sure with the beds.....

Room Tip: stay toward the back, our room was nice and quiet!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Mount Vernon, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We stayed in the Viva Las Vegas room, and really enjoyed our stay. The hotel was clean, the rooms were fun but small, and the lobby was not air conditioned. We love the character and charm of this art deco district hotel! The staff were very friendly, helpful, and went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable. We would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Enjoy the flavor of the room you get--each one is different and festively themed!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stayed here for three nights at the end of our annual vacation in Florida. There were so many hotels to choose from in the same location and I was really attracted to the Pelica by its website and the TA star rating that it had. It certainly lived up to expectation from the minute we walked through the door. The staff couldn't have been more helpful or more friendly throughout the stay. A two-minute walk and we were right on the beach, too. The hotel provides beach towels and sun loungers. Great breakfasts, too, each morning on the terrace, part of Pelican Cafe. I couldn't recommend this hotel highly enough ! Will definitely return when next in Miami Beach !

Room Tip: My understanding is that all the rooms are quiet although one can always aske for a room further in...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

What a perfect spot! Restaurant has amazing food, tasty mojitos from the bar.... All the staff are friendly and personable. My room was kinda creepy - half way to hollywood - it reminded me of sleeping at my grandma's house in the 80's. However, it was unique, and the bathroom was large and spotless. I would absolutely stay again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
PelicanHotelSobe, General Manager at Pelican Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review. We have a great room called "flower Power" that is a softer theme. We are confident you will love the decor.

Best regards from the Pelican team!

Been to Pelican Hotel? Share your experiences!