“Cool Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Berlin, Germany
“Cool Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Cool hotel directly at the beach (ocean drive), nice and clean room. You enter the hotel through its bar/restaurant, which is very loud but the rooms are quiet. Beds are perfect, air conditioning silent and efficient. Staff of both hotel and bar is helpful and competent, we enjoied the stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

644 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I really wish I could give 4.5 stars, but I'll round up for the great service and perks. The GM, Paulinho, and Mae (manager at the front desk) went out of their way to accommodate my group of 7 (bachelor party) including letting us borrow shot glasses to get ready for the ensuing night's debauchery. Minus 0.5 stars because the mattress wasn't very comfy and the floors were kinda dirty. Water under the bridge to me, plus the have free breakfast and happy hour everyday! more than makes up. Plus they sent up a 'care packaage' of waters etc to help keep hangovers at bay. Awesome

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Friendly staff, great food & drinks. Complimentary breakfast &happy hour for guests. Stayed in Executive 60's & Executive Zebra--loved both :-) my husband & I plan on staying in a different room each visit. Located next to News Cafe & Wet willies, great location.

• Stayed April 2013
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

The Pelican Hotel is located in the heart of South Beach. The exterior of the property lacks some the Art Deco charm that many hotels on the South Beach strip, but makes up for it in the rooms. Stepping inside of your room (all of the rooms have their own nickname with appropriate theme), is like stepping back in time. Old hardwood floors, antique furnishings, and a bathroom with nice, but quite old tiles will greet you as you walk in. You may really love this place, or you might find it a bit much. Here are a few points to ponder.....

1. If you like crisp, clean, bright, white, big, new rooms, you might not love this. The hallways are lit in old, rather dim lighting reminiscent of long ago. My room was clean, but there was lots of dark wood in the room, and the room was a bit on the small side.
2. The old showers in the rooms are large and have the best water pressure of any shower I have ever had.
3. The location is right in the heart of South Beach, right across from the beach with all the other restaurants and hotels. It is probably directly in the center of the strip.
4. Valet parking was $25 per night, which I thought was a good deal considering the density of the area and the location.
5. Breakfast is included at the restaurant at the entrance, but be sure to ask which portion of the menu has the free breakfasts for guests. Only a part of the menu applies to the "breakfast included" part of the bill. I received free coffee, but have seen other reviews where people did not, so you should ask. Tips are not included.
6. Even with the action on the strip, my room was very quiet. I did not hear any noise from outside or other guests.

All in all, this is a fun place in the heart of South Beach.

Room Tip: If you are worried about noise, there are rooms toward the back of the property that should be quiet...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
PelicanHotelSobe, General Manager at Pelican Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear MBC421,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Pelican Hotel, we look forward to the pleasure of your return.

All the best from the Pelican Team
Panama City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

This hotel is kind of funky and in a very good location, but it had a few too many missteps for me to recommend it. I'm giving it a 3 star rating because 2.5 stars isn't an option. I leaned towards 3 instead of 2 because of the location, price, room size and mostly friendly staff. However, in my opinion it's actually below average for the following reasons.

First of all, we booked a King Suite but when we got there they told us that it was occupied and gave us a queen instead. The room was a good size, but not having the king was inconvenient since my husband is tall. Although they were quite nice, they made no effort to compensate us for this inconvenience. Perhaps if they offered us a few drinks or breakfast to make up for the fact that they didn't keep our proper pre-paid reservation, it would have made us feel a little less annoyed. Also, I'm not sure if the price should have been the same, but we were paying a pretty decent rate, and the room was a good size, so we didn't bother to argue since we were only staying 1 night.

After we got to the room to get settled, I took of my shoes. After walking around the room for a few minutes, I noticed that the bottom of my feet were black. Gross! I'm guessing it had been a while since the wood floors had been cleaned, yuck. I washed my feet and kept my crocs on the rest of the time.

The AC unit that was right beside the bed was very loud, so we turned it off and used the AC split that was on the far side of the room. Unfortunately we woke up in the middle of the night because of the heat, which forced us to put the loud AC next to the bed back on. It was quite disturbing and was also blowing directly onto my husband which made it difficult for him to get comfortable.

One nice thing was that the room comes with 2 bottles of Panna water and 2 bottles of San Pelligrino.

All in all, although the staff were quite nice and the location is very good, the dirtiness, disorganization (of our reservation) and the loud, old AC make this hotel a place that we don't need to come back to, especially when there are so many options in SOBE.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
PelicanHotelSobe, General Manager at Pelican Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear valued guest, thank you for having reviewed the Pelican Hotel during your recent stay.

Our team works very hard to ensure that all of our guests feel at home and we believe there was a misunderstanding concerning your reservation. The room confirmed to you via email was room 303 our Suite Queen suite. King Beds are confirmed in SK category or Penthouse suites.

Our housekeeping team, is hard at work & investigating your room as the hardwood floor had just been completely refinished with a protected with clear topcoat that quickly allows our attendants to ensure cleanliness. We apologize for your experience. Thank you for bringing up to our attention the sound from the AC and know that we will be upgrading that unit with a quiet and latest in A/C split systems.

On April 15, the Pelican Hotel offers at no cost to our all of our guest regardless of their booking preference complimentary breakfast between the hours of 7:30 to 11:30 AM & happy hour between 4 Pm and 6 Pm daily We apologize you did not have the opportunity to experience these amenities.

Should you wish to contact me directly my email address is lupe@pelicanhotel.com

Best wishes to you and your family,

The Pelican Team
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying here this past weekend. The location could not be beat and the staff....wow, the staff was AMAZING!!! Paulhino the restaurant manager was awesome, always making sure we were well taken care of, very friendly and talked to all patrons like he was an old friend. Mai at the desk was awesome too....you will love this place...I am planning a trip back VERY soon. I miss you guys already! I LOVED the mattress in my room....I have never slept so well in a long time....send me one please..lol. Seruously, I loved you guys.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
PelicanHotelSobe, General Manager at Pelican Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Chris, while we can't send you a mattress we can share with you where you can purchase one www.sleepongreen.com

Thank you so very much for sharing your experience at the Pelican Hotel and especially with both Mai and Paulinho. We are very proud of our team. The staff works very hard to exceed the expectations of our guests and we are delighted to read your review.

Please reach out to me directly for a loyalty rate during your next visit to the Pelican. lupe@pelicanhotel.com
Downtown Columbus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

I just arroved last night. Everything is perfect until this morning. The breakfast started at 8am, which is not very convient for some people like us who have to visit other places early. Then the included breakfast does NOT includws coffee, which is a big surprise!

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you Columbusurbanlife for taking the time to review our hotel. As an added value to our guests, we have extended a complimentary breakfast ( no charge to our guests) we just ask you to kindly pay for your drinks . Our breakfast choices include Eggs any style, Choose your own Omelete ingredients, Eggs Benedict, Italian Breakfast with Cappuccino & Pancakes. This is a new program that we just rolled out on April 12. Our breakfast is free and a surprise to all of our guests. We are sorry we were not able to meet your expectations.

Our kitchen staff has worked hard to correct all of the kinks and I assure you we are ready to go at 7:30 AM!

Cheers,
Lupe Castillo

Been to Pelican Hotel? Share your experiences!