“Are They All Like This?” 3 of 5 stars

Nassau Suite Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1414 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #66 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Sydney, Australia
“Are They All Like This?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

This hotel received reasonable reviews and the price was competitive so we chose to stay 3 nights in late October. The look of many of the hotels in Miami Beach (aside from the very expensive ones) all seemed run down and old. So other hotels may be just as ordinary as the Nassau Suites. The photo on the website is of the lobby and not one of the rooms. The rooms are dark and back onto alleys and other buildings. The rooms are big enough with a kitchen and bathroom and they are clean enough but I didn’t quite feel at ease there. The staff interchanged every day and all seemed indifferent. The parking area is hard to get into and it’s likely your car will be hanging out onto the road while you wait for someone to open the gate. The location is good – you are in walking distance to the shops, restaurants and beach which is a plus. Basically you are paying for the location and not much else. They also respond very slowly to emails. The Nassau Suites are OK but I’d try somewhere different if we returned to Miami.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

339 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

I enjoyed my stay in Nassau suite greatly. The people are very friendly and warm, really of service for every need we had. The Hotel´s style and decoration are great, the rooms are well equipped and cozy, which helps the sleeping experience.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Brasilia, DF
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

I liked very much this hotel. The location is wonderful, next to beach, museums, shopping stores and very good restaurants. The rooms are very spacious and clean and have confortable beds enough for a good sleep night. The closet are very spacious and bathroom have a box on shower instead disgusting plastics curtain.
My room was very quiet despite the noise in the street during the Halloween night.
The staff was gentle and friendly. I need a pizza delivery phone number and they looked for me on internet and put the number in my hands.
One plus, the hotel have a wi-fi and a business station with cable internet free access.
The hotel offers a modest breakfast ( coffe, cream,bread, muffins, apples, cream chesse, butter and gelly) but...for the money...this is a great deal.
Recomended!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

This was our first staying visit in Miami and we stayed 3 nights before going on a cruise. The hotel is on Collins, between 14th and 15th Street and is one block from the beach. Excellent location I thought, a few blocks from the Lincoln Street shopping area, Walgreen not far, various bars and eating places in close proximity. Taxi fare from the airport is a fixed price at $32 + tip (at the time of writing) which was reasonable I thought.

Room we had was excellent, clean, amazingly spacious and well kitted out. Very large bed, comfortable too. Large TV with remote. Nice lighting, in fact light switches all over the place! Walk in closet. Kitchen area with breakfast bar, large fridge/freezer (a bit noisy when comes on), sink, microwave, cooker and usual utensils and crockery. Sofa. Smallish bathroom containing the good shower and toilet. Sink was separate outside the bathroom. Towels replaced daily as required. No bugs seen at all. In fact I'd say this room was one of the biggest I had ever stayed in although I can't vouch for the other rooms in the hotel. We asked for a quite room and we got then one at the end of the corridor on the first floor and this fitted the bill. Some guests do seem to make a fair bit of noise, letting doors slam rather than closing quietly and occasionally having parties in their rooms it seems so I made use of ear plugs some of the time. This is Miami after all, a real party and lively place. I wouldn't let this put you off though as it is more of an exception than the rule.

Free internet downstairs which was a God send for us as we had a medical emergency and had to seek out doctors and all sorts and contact the insurance company etc. Printer didn't seem to work. Reception sent me a fax to the UK quite readily with no charge which was nice.

Small lift, good for 2 people with cases, better than walking though and hence more than adequate.

Reception area is nice and airy and comfortable with some classic decor in keeping with the hotel and area. Taxis are a plenty in Miami and are flagged down easily from the sidewalk, I mean pavement!

Simple breakfast includes tea, coffee, orange juice, toast, bagels, croissants, jam, cream cheese, apples, muffins etc. This is taken at a table in the reception area. Again this was a perfectly adequate start to the day and included in the price we paid.

Yes there is no pool but so what? You pay for what you get and it doesn't advertise a pool so why would anyone moan when there isn't one? The beach is a block away, 5 minutes on foot, and you are on the fab Miami Beach sands. Reception will provide beach towels and lightweight chairs to use on the beach which is a nice touch.

There is also a small gym facility with machines etc although we didn't use this. Also there is a mini cinema with various films on DVD that you can borrow from reception and play onto a big screen. Again we didn't use but it is there and again was free I think.

There was a diner very close, left out of the hotel on a corner, which we went to which had the biggest selection on a menu I have ever seen in my life. There must have been 500 items on it! That said it was over rated and over priced in my view and I wouldn't go back. That said the USA seems generally more expensive than the UK to me these days, not least in adding on the tax (not shown on any prices) plus the annoying but obligatory tipping which we in the UK are not all that used to. Drinks are pricey too.

So that's it, a hotel that took me a long time to select amongst the hundreds in Miami, but given our budget it was an excellent choice and I'd recommend it to all for the price and location.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

The room looked great in the pictures they sold iy as a suite it's actually a room with a kitchen, There were small bugs that looked like flee's all in the kitchen area, the bed was not stable and the remote control was broken. i save the best for lat when I checked in the charged my card for the balance of the rooom plus a $150.00 room deposit which whe I questioned the charges they were extremly rude to me and said " If a $150.00 deposit is to much then maybe you shouldnt have come to south beach" the prceeed to ignore and speak to each other in spanish, and that was the manager. It was horrible and I would never stay there or recommend this hotel to anyone!!!!! And oh yeah the hotels printer did not work so I was un able to print off my boarding pass fro my flight out there.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

We have been going to miami every year for almost 20 years, and for the last 15 or so we have stayed at the Nassau. It is not perfect, the furniture is a little wierd, but the beds are comfortable, the rooms are large, and the staff is great. The hotel rooms are two small rooms made into one suite, so they are quite spacious with good light. The location is close to everything we want, on collins, a block from the beach and 3 blocks from lincoln road, 2 blocks to starbucks on the beach. You can walk to everything but it is not as busy as ocean blvd. Best, it has parking and parking is difficult to find at hotels at south beach, the public garages actually fill up.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

From there website as well as others, you would think you were getting a very nice,well put together place. That was not th case, from the moment you walk on the hotel, its smells sour like it has recently been flooded. The elevator was broken, the front desk staff was inattentive, or not there. The towels and sheets were dry and crunchy and the beds were slightly uncomfortable. I can go on and on but it would be pointless. All i can say is STAY AWAY....its not worth it
Oh no bar,no pool,2 person minimum elevator and ROAches

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Nassau Suite Hotel? Share your experiences!