“Good Hotel..staff not so great” 3 of 5 stars

The Park Central
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   640 Ocean Dr., Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #90 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Baltimore, MD
“Good Hotel..staff not so great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2006

This hotel was in a great location and a terrific price. Unfortunately the front desk staff was "unaware" of the promotion we used to book the hotel. This promotion, taken directly from the hotel website, included spa coupons and free breakfast. The front desk staff claimed there was "no such thing". Finally after about 10 minutes of discussion someone in the hotel knew what was being offered, but "discussions" like this came up often. Hotel staff appeared to act like they were doing YOU a favor by being available.
Standard room had great beds, tiny bathroom, but acceptable.
Self park and save your self about $15 a day, parking garage is located about 2 blocks away (an easy walk) and has in/out privledges. Pool is VERY tiny, skip it, and head right to the ocean.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Indianapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2006

I was here for a girls long weekend in August and we had a blast. The hotel is in a great location...right at the beginning of the Art Deco district. Therefore, you're super close to everything, but not in the middle of it. We arrived around noon, and were able to check into our rooms with no problem. We had a side room, and could see the beach/ocean from our room. We got a great deal through the hotel's website...averaged less than $100 per night, and we were there Thursday-Sunday. The doormen were very helpful, almost as helpful as the concierge. The rooms were decent...certainly not large, but more than sufficient for two women. The beds are so comfortable. I was scared to lay on them during the day, in fear I might not get back up! Very soft...so if you prefer a firm matress, you won't like the beds. But I thought they were heavenly. Bathroom is small, and needs better lighting, but that's my only complaint. The rooftop area is very nice....lots of lounge furniture and they show movies on certain nights. We never made it, but I thought it was a nice touch. Pool area is small...but nice. We spent most of our time at the beach...which is right across the street from the hotel. You pick up a beach towel from the concierge and head over to a beach chair stand on the beach. Two chairs per room are included in your room rate. Very nice. We also had breakfast at the adjoining restaurant...Casablanca's. The food was good and reasonably priced...at least for breakfast. In general, we loved the hotel and will definitely return when back in Miami Beach.

Miami Beach in general...lots of fun and an absolute party place. People are out until 4 and 5am. We hung out quite a bit at the Clevelander...great happy hour, and fun bands/djs at night. But I was glad I wasn't staying there. The dj plays until 5am...don't know how people would sleep. The Park Central was always quiet late at night. We also took the "Duck" tour, which was a lot of fun. It's an amphibious vehicle which gives you a land and water tour of Miami. It was fun and funny. Also checked out the Lincold Road outdoor mall...was a bit of a walk from the hotel, but lots of shops and restaurants. Also found the charming Spanish district...which was a block long with cute restaurants and shops. I think the street was called Espanola Way...but not sure.

Miami Beach is a great place for a long weekend....definitely adult oriented. Not a place for young kids. But for couples and singles....tons of fun!

Enjoy!

• Liked — Just about everything
  • Disliked — Lighting in the bathroom
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2006

Very difficult to complain when you are upgraded to a suite for no particular reason!

Large living room, beautiful furnitute, lovely wood floors, good mini bar selection, nice linens but the bed is a little bit creaky. If we came back to South Beach we would stay here again.

Only slight negative is the room service from Casablanca (restaurant next door) - very slow.

• Liked — Room
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay here!
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2006

When we arrived we were told that our room was not ready and that we had to come back in FEW HOURS....hmmmm, we looked at our luggage and asked what are suppose to do with our luggage....they finally said that they would put it up for us until the room is clean. We came back a few hours later drained and our room was ready. The doorman was really sweet and nice, he was one of the friendliest there. Our room was cute and clean. Nothing fancy but it was efficent enough. Our housekeeper was great and very nice(we tipped her because our room was always clean really good when we return). The rug needs to be clean or removed, the beds were comfortable, bathroom was big enough-need a little more lightening. We didn't use the pool so I can't comment on that, The one asst manager was too friendly, my boyfriend didn't appreciate how friendly he was. But overall I would stay there again. My only complaint was the one asst manager and the rugs. I would stay there again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — check in, rugs
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2006

Our journey started at Newark airport with a flight delay of almost six hours (two of those spent sitting on the runway). Throughout the ordeal, I called the Park Central repeatedly to alert them to our situation and was assured on every occasion that our room "was ready and waiting for our arrival."

When we arrived at 5 am, the doorman was asleep on the couch and didn't open the door or help us with our bags. Ok thanks. The front desk attendant saw us struggling to hold the door open and drag our bags in and also offered no help. Ok thanks again.

At this point I'm beyond annoyed and just want to check in so I offer my hello and give the desk attendant our confirmation number. He types it in and then turns to me unapologetically and says "you were supposed to check in yesterday right?" Yes. "Well I'm sorry but your room was given away because you never checked in." WHAT!!!! I CALLED YOU TEN TIMES!!! YOU SAID IT WAS OK!!!!

I honestly don't know what kind of look I gave the guy because he very quickly figured out I was not going to play games. After a few minutes, he "upgraded" us to an ocean front room.

PROS:
The room was lovely. Spacious enough for a couple and the bathroom was larger than most in SoBe. The view was amazing. The location was perfect--walking distance to most restaurants and shopping on Collins. Lincoln Road is a cab ride away and for the more upscale nightclubs, a cab will get you there for five dollars. They also have a small pool and roof deck for tanning.

There is internet service and a printer on the mezzanine level. If you have a laptop, you can use their WiFi but the signal is weak. The day shift bell hops are very very nice...especially David.

CONS:
Be wary of the elevator. It is super slow. And housekeeping is not the best. The bathroom was never ever cleaned...I could tell because the sand from the beach was never cleaned and I had to do it when I got back in the afternoon. The Concierge is worthless. They will only hand you a brochure.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service
  • Tips/Secrets — The room and location can't be beat. The service is blah. News Cafe breakfast, Nexxt on LincolnRoad for lunch, Larios skirt steak for dinner.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2006

Absolutely loved this hotel. Great location. Nice touch that the beach chairs were free as I think I heard they are $15 otherwise. Staff were excellant. Free internet access was also a bonus, as the weather wasn't great when I was there. Agree with other writer about the Rendevous Restaurant.....stay away, crazy prices for not great food. Anyway well done too Park Central for providing nice, cheap accommodation in a great location!

• Liked — Price & Location
  • Disliked — The cleaners waking you up at ungodly hours!
  • Tips/Secrets — Book in here!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Northern, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2006

My boyfriend and decided to stay in South Beach for a post cruise overnight stay. We were originally booked for the The Hotel of South Beach on Collins Ave. However, when we arrived we were told that they were short on rooms (although we had booked a week earlier) due to a roof leak and since we were only staying one day, they asked if we didn't mind taking a look at a suite at their sister property (Park Central) We would be able to get the suite for the same price too. So we figured why not and walked a couple blocks over to the hotel and we were shown the suite (I think all suites are located on the left side of the pool) and was pleasantly surprised. Once we viewed a room at The Hotel of South Beach (which was a lot smaller, smelled of smoke and had huge stains on the floor) we were sold. The Park Central suite had great wood floors, clean, high quality linens, ocean front view, small kitchen w/ fridge, and sitting area (plush and clean sofa and chair), even had a full sized iron and ironing board, hair dryer and wonderful bath and body products (soaps and lotions). The service was first rate (espeically the door man and bell man) and I felt safe (secure rooms/entry) My only complaint is that there was a lot of hair (clearly not my own) on the bathroom floor (appeared to not have been swept or mopped) but the tub and sinks were spotless. I would definitely recommend The Park Central Hotel due to it's location, service and cleanliness. I'm not sure how the regular rooms are but were lucky in getting the suite for such a low price.

• Liked — Location, Service, Room decor
  • Disliked — Floor (was not properly cleaned)
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay in South Beach for more than one day, Eating out is expensive in Sobe so bring plenty of $$$
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Park Central? Share your experiences!