“Decent surprize” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #81 of 202 Hotels in Miami Beach
Plantation, Florida
“Decent surprize”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

I live locally so we did a "staycation" for 2 days as its called. Staff was nice ,curtious. friendly.
The hotel itself is old from the "art deco" era so locals always have a idea that these were old folks homes 30 years ago and some south beach hotels have not been updated much since then .
My wife and I were surprised that the room was nicely updated with a queen size bed,flat screen TV and a decent view of south end of beach overlooking pool.Bath room was nice also as fixtures appeared to be updated .The AC was COLD and new A/C split so no worries over some old ac unit from 1962 . As it has a pool although small is one of the few hotels on Ocean drive off the beach so it s refreshing and unique. Roof top area is perfect for a smoke and the view .Met some great people up there although few went up there during the day .
Only negative is that the free beach chairs and towel service currently not available .That may change but as of Aug 204 bring your own towels from hotel and buy a beach chair from Walgreens 1 block away as the current chair service on the beach charges 20.00 pp and that has nothing to do with the hotel.Also go park your own car - valeting anywhere in South beach is an issue ,not just the hotels' issue .Park it by the convention center where it's cheaper and leave it there a couple of days - rent a bike back for 4.00 to the hotel unless you want to pay alot for valet parking.And you don't need a car anyway .Hallways are looking a little old though but I understand a renovation is planned later this year
Other than that had a great stay - I want to go back and for the locals and didn't know what hotel to go to at a decent price- this is the one

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

PCHotelManager, General Manager at The Park Central, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Thank you "918alan" for choosing our hotel for your staycation and taking the time to write a review. Your opinion is very important and we trust on our guests to recommend The Park Central to their friends and our neighbors in South Florida. Come visit us again once our remodel is complete!
Janine Ackerman, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

I'm sorry that I find myself having to write this as I was not expecting to have an experience like this at all, and it is with a very heavy heart that I am writing my first negative review! We hired a car and drove down to South Beach after disembarking from a cruise at Port Canaveral, and eventually pulled up outside the Park Central Hotel, We were met with the picture postcard view that was recommended to us by the Virgin Holidays representative, however that's where the delight ended! Upon walking into the hotel everything seemed to be going well, Concierge staff were very prompt in helping us with our luggage and Front Desk staff were quick to help us check-in, we were then told that we had been put into a room in the building next door (Park Central Café building), and then escorted to our room. Alarm bells had by then started to ring as it became immediately evident that the whole place seemed to have been somewhat neglected. I had read many reviews about this place, and was keeping a very open mind as I usually do, but I had to agree with many, if not all of the bad points that had been written. It was extremely dark and dingy throughout the corridors, the same pictures of South Beach repeat themselves sometimes four, five, six or more times throughout the length of the corridor. Carpets were appallingly dirty, so dirty that it was almost impossible to see the pattern in some places, this also meant that in certain places it had become sticky! It seemed in places that there were patches that looked like trod in chewing gum!! Walls were dirty too, and dust and cobwebs were evident throughout. Upon entering our room, we were almost sick with disappointment and could have cried. The same situation with the carpet being dirty and having gum stuck to it in places, doors were very ill-fitting (including main room doors), so much so you could see through into the room or outside into the corridor! This room was very small, and had a small dimly lit bathroom and small walk in closet, but upon opening the curtain was met with the view of the wall from the building next door! We looked at the bedding and there were numerous long black hairs everywhere! I felt so ashamed that I had chosen this hotel to stay. My partner and I were celebrating our 50th and 40th birthdays and had paid a small fortune to have a cruise and stay in Miami and this was very deflating. I had previously (four months or so ago) e-mailed the Hotel Manager requesting a "good" room preferably with a semi decent view as a surprise to my partner, and was absolutely gutted to come to this! Both of us agreed after taking a few pictures that neither of us were willing to stay in this room or even the hotel. I contacted the Virgin Holidays Concierge representative in Florida expressing our concerns and they assured me that they would look to see what other accommodation was available in South Beach, which unfortunately there wasn't. They suggested we spoke to Front Desk about our concerns and they would get back to me very soon, in the meantime we dragged our cases back to the Front Desk where we explained our concerns to the Receptionist, (who had been friendly and helpful all along) and she said this is the standard room that had been allocated to us by Virgin, but would be able to upgrade us to a full ocean view or partial ocean/pool view room, both of which we would have to pay for. Unfortunately I was not able to afford the upgrade cost for the full Ocean View Room, but could potentially pay for the partial view room, which she willingly said she would personally show to us. On going to the room the kind young girl said she understood our concerns and pointed out that these customer concerns are a very regular occurrence! On entering the room, we immediately felt much more at ease. It was a good deal bigger, had a view of the pool (partial sea view) and seemed to be cleaner, so we reluctantly accepted that we would stay there! Upon settling into the room, the lack of attention to detail in the upkeep of the place was evident here too! Very dirty carpets and walls, poor paint finish throughout, especially around the edge of the tiles in the bathroom! All drawers in the room had dust and dirt in them, prompting us to not use any of them and keep our stuff laid on top of towels or kept in the cases! On four separate occasions we had cockroaches in the room, bathroom and closet. A room-service tray had been left used and unattended in the corridor for a whole day and half. The lift door doesn't close properly and bangs shut. The hotel bar area and restaurant had been abandoned and nobody was ever able to use those facilities, you had to go next door to the Park Central Café (which quite remarkably had some of the most fantastic staff and food on all of South Beach). The pool and pool area was fairly small, but clean and well maintained, as was the small adequately equipped gym! Valet parking was costly at around $28 a day, but we felt worth the hassle of trying to get your car and park it again at the end of the day! Self Parking in a local Garage was mentioned in the in-room folder, however this was never mentioned to us as an option on checking in!! We stayed here 27th July through 2nd August, and on our last day the pool was taped off. All around us it seemed they were closing the facilities. We did use the complimentary chairs on the beach, which they still seemed to be offering at that time however there was a charge of $15 for the umbrella. The plus points of this Hotel are the location, most of the staff, Park Central Café (next door), good/powerful shower pressure, and the Roof Terrace (which is very quiet & good views). Like other reviewers I will say that this place has so much potential, but has the neglect gone too far and needs far more renovation than they anticipate doing! The excuse that this is one of South Beaches finest Art Deco Hotels and its atmosphere is a reflection of that period does not wash with me! Yes the building is a fine one and a credit to the Ocean Drive scene but step through its doors and it is a massively deflating experience. Unless the upcoming renovation is done to a very high standard and completely changes the interior of this building I would never choose to stay in this hotel again........sorry

Room Tip: If you really do have no choice but to stay here! Then it'll be worth paying extra to get an oce...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
PCHotelManager, General Manager at The Park Central, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Dear Greg170974,
Thank you for taking the time to review The Park Central Hotel. I am so sorry to hear that as the finale of your US visit we did not meet your expectations. Many of the aspects of your experience will be addressed when we fully renovate this year and your feedback is being shared with our development team. We agree that our property does have great promise and character and that is the reason it was purchased last year by new ownership with the intention of tapping into this amazing potential. Thank you again for your feedback and hopefully you will give us another chance once our remodel is complete.
Maui, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

We had planned on staying over three weeks so we were looking for a hotel that was moderately priced. The Park Central is an older property but we love the location and the service makes this hotel a five star in my rating. Lina at the front desk was exceptional, the bell hops were so nice and accommodating. A young man ( sorry I didn't get his name) was spectacular. He's leaving for a european trip on Friday the 15 on August. He's a real winner.
We have a business at the Four Seasons on Maui and your employees meet those standards.
Great job and we hope to be back soon.
Aloha,
David Rooks and Jim Oxborrow

Room Tip: The rooms facing the water are so fun and also the rooms facing the pool are good.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear David R,
Thank you for your recent visit and your 5 star review! We're so happy to see that you had an awesome stay with us. Our team always wants to make sure our guests are comfortable and feel at home and Lina and Rafa will surely be recognized for their stand out service. Thank you for your wonderful comments and come back soon!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014 via mobile

Its a 1 or 2 start hotel that feels like a motel 6. Charging intercontinental prices. If you want stars, this is Not it. If you only care for a place to stay and dont care how it looks the location is good.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Karlamiranda,
Thank you for your review. We are truly sorry to hear that The Park Central did not meet your expectations. Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss further, I welcome your feedback in more detail.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

EARLY CHECK-IN –
We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. We came early, couldn't get the room – bell desk and reception clerks were very nice and accommodating, they offered every assistance that they could offer under circumstances.
MOLD –
Finally we got the room, went upstairs… I understand it is an old hotel; it is hot and humid climate. We opened a closet door and a strong smell of mold literary “knocked out flip-flops off “. We informed the Front Desk about our situation and, I guess, the closet was sprayed. For the rest of the stay the closet remained closed. We couldn't use it or the bath robes that were inside. We had to open it occasionally to use the safe and that was a challenge.
BATHROOM –
The bathroom was not in a great shape as well. And it was dirty when we got in to the room – floor was dirty and there was dried soap on the bathroom sink faucet (the floor issue was addressed upon our complaint). Parts of fixtures were falling off. The light in the bathroom was very poor. And we saw a roach on the last day of the stay. On the bright side, the shower was working fine.
WI_FI –
The hotel is providing free Wi-Fi to the guests, but sometimes it was hard to find a “good” spot in the room.
MISCELLANEOUS –
There is no coffee maker in the room.
The bed was nice and comfortable, actually looked new-ish. Towels were always clean. The cleaning service was late, if you ask me.
Hotel provides with beach towels but it is better to have one of your own because they are very small.
I need to mention again the all the people that dealt with us were VERY helpful and nice. I understand that they have to work with what they are given.
The location is perfect, maybe not for the families with the kids because it gets loud at night.
THE BOTTOM LINE –
The hotel is old. And I am addressing this part to the owners: in my opinion the prices for the room are way off. I understand that hotel is going to be renovated and the feeling was that we were paying for the upcoming reno. It felt that the room rate was unfair and did not reflect the value and quality of the service that was provided. You have a nice people working for you, great location and a bad product with a great potential. As for me, I probably will not stay at this hotel again. I work at the hotel, have some traveling experience and this stay left bitter sweet aftertaste. I really do not mind to pay when something is worth it.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
PCHotelManager, General Manager at The Park Central, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear Evgenia M,
Thank you for your review. We are truly sorry to hear that your stay was not enjoyable and your impression of the hotel was less than favorable. As you are already aware, we do have plans for a renovation and refurbishment and hope we can welcome you back as our guest when this is complete. We appreciate your kind words about the team members. Thank you once again for sharing your experience.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I know this hotel is rated as "out dated" by some but it's South Beach... come on. The old bathroom tiles didn't bother me one bit. The room was nice and cold and the staff was so helpful. Raphael was so great in helping us pick out places to eat and getting us cabs. It's pretty well located within walking distances of most things and the beach is right across the street. We were on the second floor and had a view of the beach. This hotel was also surprisingly quiet. When we returned from our nights out we thought we would be kept awake by other party goers but our floor was relatively quiet.
My two suggestions are that when we called to book the room we were told we would get beach chairs but when we arrived we were told they only give out towels. Beach chairs are about $20 each to rent. Second, please get coffee in the lobby. When you stay out late... you really could use a cup on hand instead of having to wait and get ready to go eat breakfast to get your first cup. I'm a coffee lover though so maybe that's just me. LOL

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Dear NatMal85,
It is always a pleasure to read positive reviews from our guests and the ones from Trip Advisor's Senior Contributor's have a significant importance. We appreciate your kind comments about the staff and our hotel. Indeed we no longer provide the chairs on the beach complimentary but we do still offer the beach towels and we have sun bathing at both our pool and the rooftop for everyone to enjoy. We will definitely revisit your coffee suggestion for our future guests as well. Hoping to welcome you back soon!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

I booked the room through American Express so I thought that it was a fine hotel. It was $60 more than your average former nursing home hotel. Those of you who don't know the history of Ocean Drive on South Beach; all the hotels were either abandon of nursing homes in the 60's, 70's & 80's. I was conned into upgrading my room by $25.00 per night in order to get a fraction of a view to the ocean, big waist of money.

The carpets were original, (meaning that they still have the funk on them from the 60's) as was the bathroom tiles, fixtures and just about everything else in the room including the plumbing. Yes, hold the handle down on the toilet and pray to God that it all goes down by the second or third flush! The shower had the power of a wet noodle, more like a garden hose w/o your finger pressed on the end.

I believe the staff eats their toothpaste when they brush, for the fluoride has lowered their IQ. There is NOT any coffee in the room or downstairs. One must go down the street in search of a cup of Joe (coffee, not the soldier). I could go on but you get my point.

Room Tip: Pick a different Hotel!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
PCHotelManager, General Manager at The Park Central, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Dear BobbyRadical,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. I am very sorry to hear that The Park Central was not what you expected nor up to your standards. Our hotel is an old-fashioned art deco property and we do pride ourselves on consistent maintenance standards as well as offering personable and friendly service. However, it seems like neither of these were encountered according to your experience, for that we extend our sincerest apologies and I will personally look into the matter. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss this and any aspects of your stay in further detail. Thank you again for your time and attention.
Janine Ackerman, General Manager

Been to The Park Central? Share your experiences!