“Great Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1230 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #117 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We stayed this past weekend after purchasing a groupon but then upgraded to the penthouse for my husband's bday. We got to the hotel 30mins before check in & the cleaning lady had not even started our room cause she thought it would be easier to wait for the linens that were late. NOPE!! We finally got into our room around 5pm. The only positive thing is the girl Mercedes who worked the front desk alway had a smile on her face & was a joy to work with. When we finally got into our room the room was not that clean that it should have taken an Hour to clean. But the room was beautiful & so were the views. Made everything worth wild! But would definitely stay again!!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I was booked in to stay from the 27th June to 4th of July and I am writing this review on the 1st. July from a different hotel!!!

I never write reviews as more often than not I have pleasant stays being a seasoned traveller and quite good at choosing hotels and reading between the lines on websites etc........

However, I could not bear to stay at this hotel one second longer due to the LOUD music coming from the bar/ restaurant directly below my room. EAR PLUGS did little or nothing to block out the music which played from 8.30am until 2 am at weekends and depending on demand midnight or 1 am during the week.

Staff were polite and very apologetic but what could they do. They did give me another room which I had to move all my baggage myself but it made no difference to the impact of the loud music on my stay.

Other issues I had were as follows:
1. Rooms resembled nothing that was promised on the website.....a few have been renovated and so you need to request one of those.....and even then the quality of finish etc is questionable!
2. You have use of a trolley to take your own luggage to your room
3. You have to carry your own beach towel and chair to the beach and you are charged for the privilege - $15(this does include the drinks and snacks at reception)! If you want to rent a sun bed and umbrella at the beach it costs $20 for bed and $15 for umbrella!
4. My room was not cleaned everyday as promised
5. Breakfast was not refreshed as the morning went on, so if you were breakfasting between 10 and 11am you could be certain to have rock hard bacon, congealed sausages and very dubiously dark colored scrambled eggs......eat early!
6. I requested an early check out giving two days notice and I still got charged for early check out which is outrageous given the experience I was expecting resembled nothing of what was promised and had sat and had a good conversation with the manageress about the unmet expectations!
Conclusion - YES to South Beach 100% NO to Hotel Ocean.

Room Tip: Do not waste money on an Ocean Front Room as these are the most noisy. Request one high up (not 5th...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Miami
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Bad rooms bad service,dont pay for the beach the gave us 2 broken chairs we dont have wifi in the rooms but we pay for that.they have one italian restaurant under the rooms an they play maxican music from 9 in the morning until 12 mednight.we are in the room now 20:36 and we can speak its sooo loud all day.the breakfast is terrible.dont ever come here go sleep in the beach if you visit south beach.

• Stayed June 2014
Exeter, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

The room was very nice and modern, but the blind was broken which I had to spend 15minutes fixing on the first night and the safe didn't work (they did fix it the next day).

Unfortunately there was a significant amount of noise at night. There was very loud music played right outside our room in the courtyard until past midnight on memorial day. Other nights it stopped at midnight but no chance of sleeping until then.

The breakfast was basic but OK. Most days I had scrambled eggs from the buffet, but on 1 day for no reason there was no hot breakfast so toast was all I had which was a bit disappointing.

The price was very good and one of the best beach front prices we could find.

Free bike rental was a major plus to have this included and it gave us great freedom to explore South Beach and go over the Venetian causeway to the American Airlines arena.

The staff were friendly and helpful at all times.

We went to the hotels restaurant for a couple of drinks and a pizza to share. Pizza was very nice. However, we asked what happy hour was and were told by the waiter it meant all the cocktails on display were $15. We both had a cocktail but when the bill came I was charged $35 for mine. When I queried it i was told the waiter had made a mistake and it should have been all cocktails except the one i had were $15. Even though it was the waiters mistake the best they could do was take $5 off the bill and the service charge was already included so I couldn't even amend that. Disappointed to be told one price and charged another and charged service automatically as well. Be careful if you eat or drink here.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

This was my first time staying at hotel ocean. I got a great deal on bookit.com so I figured I would try. I usually stay at the same hotel everytime I go to south beach. Anyway the staff was very friendly and helpful my room was clean. The only flaw was there was live music right outside of my room till about 10 or11 I can't remember but it wasn't too bad. If I got a good deal again I would stay. The normal prices are a little expensive.

• Stayed March 2014
Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Perfect location, very nice and helpful staff. Free cookies, tee and coffee available at the reception. the only thing is that breakfest might have been a bit more diversed. Surely worth visiting if you want to fully enjoy South Beach!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Modesto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Hubby and I stayed at this hotel on our first trip to Miami back in 2003. The hotel was very very clean, the staff was excellent, the location was perfect for us. We would definitely stay here again. We loved being able to hear the latin music from near by clubs as well. We stayed here a few days before our cruise.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Ocean? Share your experiences!