“Not perfect as I remembered, but always a pleasure” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early, Save 15%
Ranked #57 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Parma, Italy
“Not perfect as I remembered, but always a pleasure”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

I have spend the Easter week with my 3 years old boy and my husband at National Hotel. It was our 2nd time at The National, but the first time with the baby. I have decided to book at National as our previous experience was great and travelling with my son I preferred to avoid surprises...instead we got a surprise. Despite a long correspondence with the hotel, at our arrival (after 13h of travelling) there was no crib on the room and not even the space for it!!! They provide us a larger room with a crib, but without pillow, mattress and I was obliged to use towels as sheets. The next morning, I pretended to speak with a manager explaining that my son is not a dog and he should have a crib with sheets, etc and I obtained a complementary breakfast. We had still some problems with the toilet fun as always on, but the rest of the holiday was nice, mostly thanks to the staff. The added value of this hotel is the pool and beach staff. They were just fantastic and not only for the delicious cocktails, but for their kindness with my boy. They always played with him and make him happy with some pasta and ice cream! A big thanks to all of them! Finally, the Tower rooms should be renovated as they are not anymore in line with a 4 stars hotel, but the pool/beach areas are still fabulous.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Boca Grande, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

This hotel bragged of excellent service, newly renovated and a breathtaking ocean view. Well, our room was comparable to an $80.00 hotel room. I paid $500.00 a night. The first room had an ocean view if you squinted thru the trees, but mainly looked over the rusty rooftop and between the walls of 2 other hotels. I complained and we got the same room 3 floors higher. We could see the ocean, but it was anything but breathtaking and certainly wasn't close to being worth $500.00 per night. I feel completely cheated. I complained, but the manager said we had checked in early and also traded to a better room and that was all he was going to do.
See photos below of the toilet.
This was advertised as a deluxe room. the photos of the deluxe rooms were much different than what they really are. I was so angry that I had spent $500 a night for a room that was worth $100.
The staff was really kind (except for the manager) and I feel badly that they have to work at a place that has such crappy rooms. There are cabana's, but they were filled. They have no water view, but I understand are much bigger.
I was ripped off and there's nothing I can do about it.
DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I MADE -- DON'T STAY HERE!!!!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel -- any other hotel.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

My husband and I had to stay one night in South Beach and randomly chose The National for this short stay prior to a sailing trip. Though I was dressed very casually (just arrived from one week of training camp and really looked it!), we were greeted warmly at the door and checked into a lovely ocean front room right away. We had to stay in Miami for a few days after our sailing adventure a week later and chose to book The National again because the property was lovely and the staff and service so warm and friendly.
When we arrived a week later, we were greeted by name as if we were old friends and given a luxurious room. To our surprise, the concierge sent us a complimentary fruit plate as a thank you for coming back! How delightful!
It is right on the beach with beautiful pools, soft music and gorgeous French Art Deco style decor. We've found our Miami sanctuary.

Room Tip: Poolside hotel rooms are incredible.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I never write reviews, but I really want to save someone from making a mistake of booking a room here. My husband and I stayed at National Hotel for a week in February. I booked it through expedia, because I like the convenience of booking flight with hotel together. Even though I paid around 5k total for the week , the hotel reserves the worst rooms for expedia/cheaphotel customers. I was dumbfounded that a "5 star"hotel had crappy rooms, but our room was half in the stairway!! It was loud from slamming stairway door all night long, tiniest room, carpet stains, and a horrible view. The worst part, I felt like all week long when they asked which room we were in the staff instantly knew we were a "cheap room" customer. I never felt more uncomfortable in my life. I didn't even save much booking through expedia (less than $300), but I paid dearly for the service.

They have this amazing gigantic pool, that no one could swim in because it was ice cold. It's basically decoration. Instead all the guests cram into this small tiny heated pool that has NO filters. By the end of the day the pool had a layer of hair and scum floating throughout. Also, forget about swimming anytime late. They close down the outside bar,kitchen, and towel station around 6-7 PM in February, that was a HUGE disappointment!!!

The breakfast was less than average, but we did have a delicious dinner. The flan dessert was excellent.

The location was the only nice thing about the hotel. We did not have to rent a car and we were able to walk everywhere.

I will never stay at this hotel again.

Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed at the National Hotel in mid march of this year with my gf. We are both in our mid 20's. We've both been to South Beach multiple times before and agree this hotel has the best location.

The hotel is small but gives you everything you need to enjoy South Beach. There is a direct beach entrance out of the back of the property. Nice size swimming pool for relaxing. It is a short walk to Ocean Avenue to enjoy the side walk cafe's and people watching. It is also a block away from Lincoln Road Mall which is my gf and I's favorite area to shop and grab food. (Baires grill : meat platter is a must). Also a short walk to espanola way for more great eating on a really cool, closed off spanish themed street. (Go to Havana 1957). This is the better part of collins ave to stay on (if you aren't going to stay at the fountainbleu). Lots of stores within walking distance (walgreens, beachy stores, 7-eleven) and short cab rides to anywhere else you'll need to go.

The rooms aren't huge but they are very clean and upscale. The hotel only has balconies on the cabana rooms which is a two story building which overlooks the pool. we stayed in the main tower and paid the little extra to get an ocean view and it was well worth it. The views from sunrise to sunset are incredible.

Breakfast was $25 per person for a buffet. Food was really good but kinda pricey for breakfast. They have a restaurant in the hotel but we didn't go in. Honestly with all the places you have within walking distance go try different places.

Overall we loved the hotel. It was really clean and felt really upscale to us. The rooms aren't that big and the pool area isn't as big as some of the other hotels nearby but it didn't seem to matter. we still loved out stay. The location really was perfect for walking or talking short cheap cab rides to everything you need. I highly recommend staying here. (or on this stretch of a few blocks on collins ave)

We went to relax and also have some fun so we went at the beginning of MMW. There was pool parties the entire weekend we were there so didn't have to leave the hotel. Obviously that doesn't happen all year but if your going to party down there check the hotel calendar to see if they are having anything. We also went to Nikki Beach for the day which all though a little pricey with the drinks ($8 beers, $15 mix drinks) was amazing and is defiantly worth going to. 4 dj's going in 4 different rooms with everything from techno inside to edm outside under the big tent. Entry lets you stay from open at noon to close at 5am. (check groupon for possible discount). Also if your looking for a change of pace go to the Rec room across the street at the Gale Hotel. Really cool place that played a mix of 90, 2000's and today's hip hop.

Room Tip: We had AN ocean view room on the 7th floor. Views were incredible.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

This is my 2nd time back. I didnt know how the massage could ever be better, but Melissa outdid herself again. The only bad part, every massage that I haven't had from her is now disappointing. It's like having truffle fries and from then on- ordinary fries just won't do. The pool, hotel, and music makes you truly appreciate Miami!

Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I paid $450 for a Deluxe Ocean Room and all I got was the view of the next building and trees and the ocean could only be seen if the trees moved. There were only two small elevators that took for ever, specially at the time of check out which always came full. The hallways were small and the carpets stained. When I claimed the view at the front desk the manager said it was too bad. Front of hotel was run down.

Room Tip: Don't bother with ocean view.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to National Hotel Miami Beach? Share your experiences!