“WOW!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Rome, Italy
“WOW!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

The Marlin Hotel is really a unique, lovely place in South Beach.
Rooms are amazing, even if smaller ones do not have room to store luggages nor suits or shoes.
All of them, nonetheless, have a super cool system for lights, music, etc that you can control with an iPad.
Service is friendly though professional and they try their best to fulfill guests' requests.
There is no microwave nor kettle in the rooms, but ask for hot water and they'll provide for you.
Sleeping is not always so easy, earplugs help a lot!
No breakfast is available in the hotel, but there are many cafè around and a Jamaican restaurant should be opening soon, as well as a bar, in the hotel itself.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Greek first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is my go to hotel on Miami beach. The hotel is very hip and caters to a young crowd. I will the privacy, the technology and the decor. The overall design was extremely modern and not outdated. If you are young, fun, fashionable, hip, a pop culture fanatic, and looking for the perfect chill, quite and modern hotel in close proximity to Miami Beach - The Marlin is really the best option. Its far enough from the beach that you have your privacy and aren't bothered by the noice from cars and tourists yet close enough that you are a 2 min walk away from restaurants, shopping, pharmacies and the beach! The rooms are all of a different theme and there are different options of set up (so not the boring cookie cute repeated design) and ht lobby feels like a really cool lounge (by night) and awesome brunch place (during the day). The only issue for me is that room service (food) is only available from Wednesday through Thursdays and the bar in the downstairs lobby closes much to early. Also the mini bar items are way overpriced based on the room rate and probably need to be changed frequently so it looks fresh. I like to idea of the ipad controlling the lights, drapes, TV and overall mood of the room.

Room Tip: I got the Kelis room randomly which was perfect for because Im a huge fan. See if your music favorit...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Staying at the Marlin epitomizes the ultimate South Beach. The trendy boutique hotel is quaint but still ultra hip and modern. The location was phenomenal, but what really made our exceptional was the staff. Alex the manager and Jeff were immediately welcoming and offered restaurant, night life, etc. suggestions. Housekeeping was efficient and accommodating. Traveling with 3 girls, safety is a concern, and knowing Damian was downstairs at night made us feel secure and comfortable. And he was also lots of fun to talk to after coming coming back at 3:00 am. All in all, we were sad to leave the Marlin and will be staying longer next time.

• Stayed March 2013
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We stayed at The Marlin for three nights. It's certainly not your traditional hotel, and does achieve the boutique/upmarket/cool look it is clearly aiming for. When we arrived we had to be buzzed into the hotel (hey at least it's secure) and head to reception on the second floor. We were meet by a woman who clearly looked like a vogue cover girl. She was welcoming and friendly; saw all of our luggage and arranged for an upgrade to a larger room. She then walked us to the room where she showed us how to use the iPad that controls everything in the room. I did not see any hotel staff for the remainder of our stay. The room was decently sized, clean and the bed was comfortable. We still talk about the rainwater shower which was fantastic!. Wifi was included which Is always a bonus. Downsides; being woken by a woman banging on another hotel room door at 3 am who I think had been called for 'a date', The iPad functions did not always work and this was frustrating at times, No iron in the room. The recording studio and the boutique hotel is a good concept, the biographies of famous musicians (like jimi hendrix) on the bedside tables in the room is an awesome touch. Overall it was a good experience but I would probably try a different hotel on my next visit'

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Recently I reserved the Marlin's two room penthouse suite for one night to cap off a mother/daughter trip to Buenos Aires only to receive an email from the hotel informing me that the suite was no longer available (despite the fact that I had a confirmed reservation) and that they were able to offer me a Studio A room for $309. I assume that after I made my reservation a frequent visitor to the hotel and/or celebrity wanted the suite and I absolutely understand. It's what next that I find perplexing. For one thing, the substitute I was offered was (an albeit large) single room whereas I was obviously looking for two rooms. When I asked I was told that there were no adjoining rooms in the hotel but that I could get a standard room on the same floor for $179. Okay, I said, book it, even though when I checked their web site I was surprised to find that the rates that were being 'offered' were exactly the same ones available on the web. A little miffed (I figured they should offer something if only because I was spending my Sunday afternoon emailing back and forth about a reservation that I thought had already been made and confirmed) I asked if they could please send me an email confirmation of the types of rooms I'd reserved and the rate only to receive a reply stating that a confirmation email would only be sent if I booked through the hotel's web site -- which of course I had done originally.....

Bottom line? So I'm not a regular and I'm not a celeb and in the end I'm not going to be staying at the Marlin where they are apparently too hip to be bothered with the finer points of customer service...

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Mexico City, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Uhm.....where to start? front door is closed so you have to wait for them to open, then you get the access code to do it during your stay, reception on second floor, uneventful check-in, upon arrival at the room you do get that -wow- factor, which for me lasted like 5 minutes, starting with the strong cigarrete smell, and realizing that Ipad-controlling of the A/c wasn't actually working, neither the "ambience lights" that were supposed to change color, and after trying (unsuccessfully), to connect to the wi-fi network on my own Ipad or my Iphone finally gave up and just checked some things on the Hotel Ipad's internet....
yes it has bigelow ammenities, yes it has a big TV behind a mirror, yes it has a cool looking-aspect, but lacks every basic thing you would need in a hotel (staff, food, internet, pool, gym, etc).

My first morning there when stepping into the shower found like 5 or 6 of those waste related little flies all over the shower walls ( saw 1 the night before), now there were plenty of them, and guess what? that awesome rain shower did NOT work, had to use the hand held thingy to shower......

before leaving the property that day went to front desk and talked ALL of these issues with Alex Giraldo, which in the nicest way told me they would check and fix those flaws....30 minutes later got an e-mail from him saying it would be better if I would agree to move to another room, which I did......this room apparently had everything working, including wi-fi network, so I was pleased...till the night came, and I realized the room was VERY noisy, and found one of the windows opened, not much, just and inch or so...but COULDN'T close it, it was broken, so I had to listen to spring breakers screaming on the street all night long, and the garbage truck doing it's thing very early in the morning, oh and by the way, at this point wi-fi was down....again.......

Once again I talked to front desk staff about this issues and got nothing but lame excuses.....

That evening tried calling front desk staff to ask them to call a cab so we could get to a restaurant, but guess what? no answer......tried calling for like 30 minutes.....nothing, when my wife and I finally went out the room, went to the front desk and nobody was there, it was ghost town.....that night coming back to the hotel we noticed a strong smell of mariguana in the lobby, and that went on the next evening as well.......

So, just a few words to the owner/management of this place: What the hell are you thinking? a hotel with no restaurant, no room service, no pool, no gym, no wi-fi, no bellboy, no parking lot, no staff at the front desk for Christ sake! , high tech stuff in the room not working, ETC.

You'll be out of business.......SOON!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

Its a very creative hotel, and full of warmest atmosphere! The receptionists are very kind and warmheartedness to share the information of the restaurants and attractions. Besides you use ipad to control you room, thats very cool! A very good place to stay!

Been to The Marlin Hotel? Share your experiences!