“Amazing stay, above and beyond staff.” 5 of 5 stars

The Marlin Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1200 Collins Ave., Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #43 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
“Amazing stay, above and beyond staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Staying at the Marlin epitomizes the ultimate South Beach. The trendy boutique hotel is quaint but still ultra hip and modern. The location was phenomenal, but what really made our exceptional was the staff. Alex the manager and Jeff were immediately welcoming and offered restaurant, night life, etc. suggestions. Housekeeping was efficient and accommodating. Traveling with 3 girls, safety is a concern, and knowing Damian was downstairs at night made us feel secure and comfortable. And he was also lots of fun to talk to after coming coming back at 3:00 am. All in all, we were sad to leave the Marlin and will be staying longer next time.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Greek first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We stayed at The Marlin for three nights. It's certainly not your traditional hotel, and does achieve the boutique/upmarket/cool look it is clearly aiming for. When we arrived we had to be buzzed into the hotel (hey at least it's secure) and head to reception on the second floor. We were meet by a woman who clearly looked like a vogue cover girl. She was welcoming and friendly; saw all of our luggage and arranged for an upgrade to a larger room. She then walked us to the room where she showed us how to use the iPad that controls everything in the room. I did not see any hotel staff for the remainder of our stay. The room was decently sized, clean and the bed was comfortable. We still talk about the rainwater shower which was fantastic!. Wifi was included which Is always a bonus. Downsides; being woken by a woman banging on another hotel room door at 3 am who I think had been called for 'a date', The iPad functions did not always work and this was frustrating at times, No iron in the room. The recording studio and the boutique hotel is a good concept, the biographies of famous musicians (like jimi hendrix) on the bedside tables in the room is an awesome touch. Overall it was a good experience but I would probably try a different hotel on my next visit'

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Recently I reserved the Marlin's two room penthouse suite for one night to cap off a mother/daughter trip to Buenos Aires only to receive an email from the hotel informing me that the suite was no longer available (despite the fact that I had a confirmed reservation) and that they were able to offer me a Studio A room for $309. I assume that after I made my reservation a frequent visitor to the hotel and/or celebrity wanted the suite and I absolutely understand. It's what next that I find perplexing. For one thing, the substitute I was offered was (an albeit large) single room whereas I was obviously looking for two rooms. When I asked I was told that there were no adjoining rooms in the hotel but that I could get a standard room on the same floor for $179. Okay, I said, book it, even though when I checked their web site I was surprised to find that the rates that were being 'offered' were exactly the same ones available on the web. A little miffed (I figured they should offer something if only because I was spending my Sunday afternoon emailing back and forth about a reservation that I thought had already been made and confirmed) I asked if they could please send me an email confirmation of the types of rooms I'd reserved and the rate only to receive a reply stating that a confirmation email would only be sent if I booked through the hotel's web site -- which of course I had done originally.....

Bottom line? So I'm not a regular and I'm not a celeb and in the end I'm not going to be staying at the Marlin where they are apparently too hip to be bothered with the finer points of customer service...

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Mexico City, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Uhm.....where to start? front door is closed so you have to wait for them to open, then you get the access code to do it during your stay, reception on second floor, uneventful check-in, upon arrival at the room you do get that -wow- factor, which for me lasted like 5 minutes, starting with the strong cigarrete smell, and realizing that Ipad-controlling of the A/c wasn't actually working, neither the "ambience lights" that were supposed to change color, and after trying (unsuccessfully), to connect to the wi-fi network on my own Ipad or my Iphone finally gave up and just checked some things on the Hotel Ipad's internet....
yes it has bigelow ammenities, yes it has a big TV behind a mirror, yes it has a cool looking-aspect, but lacks every basic thing you would need in a hotel (staff, food, internet, pool, gym, etc).

My first morning there when stepping into the shower found like 5 or 6 of those waste related little flies all over the shower walls ( saw 1 the night before), now there were plenty of them, and guess what? that awesome rain shower did NOT work, had to use the hand held thingy to shower......

before leaving the property that day went to front desk and talked ALL of these issues with Alex Giraldo, which in the nicest way told me they would check and fix those flaws....30 minutes later got an e-mail from him saying it would be better if I would agree to move to another room, which I did......this room apparently had everything working, including wi-fi network, so I was pleased...till the night came, and I realized the room was VERY noisy, and found one of the windows opened, not much, just and inch or so...but COULDN'T close it, it was broken, so I had to listen to spring breakers screaming on the street all night long, and the garbage truck doing it's thing very early in the morning, oh and by the way, at this point wi-fi was down....again.......

Once again I talked to front desk staff about this issues and got nothing but lame excuses.....

That evening tried calling front desk staff to ask them to call a cab so we could get to a restaurant, but guess what? no answer......tried calling for like 30 minutes.....nothing, when my wife and I finally went out the room, went to the front desk and nobody was there, it was ghost town.....that night coming back to the hotel we noticed a strong smell of mariguana in the lobby, and that went on the next evening as well.......

So, just a few words to the owner/management of this place: What the hell are you thinking? a hotel with no restaurant, no room service, no pool, no gym, no wi-fi, no bellboy, no parking lot, no staff at the front desk for Christ sake! , high tech stuff in the room not working, ETC.

You'll be out of business.......SOON!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

Its a very creative hotel, and full of warmest atmosphere! The receptionists are very kind and warmheartedness to share the information of the restaurants and attractions. Besides you use ipad to control you room, thats very cool! A very good place to stay!

St Paul Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed at the Marlin Hotel for one night before a cruise and the high tech features mentioned in previous reviews where all in place. Location is good, handy to Ocean Drive but away from the noise. And the rooms and hallways are large, lovely and modern. But sometimes clean and modern can also mean austere and impractical.

In their quest for simplicity the rooms are missing a lot of basics. There is no coffeemaker, no clock, no alarm clock, no hotel stationery and not even any Kleenex. Because they warn you not to touch the light switches, you had better be able to figure out how to use the iPad they provide you in the dark to turn on the bathroom lights at 2:00 in the morning when you are half asleep if you have to get up. (We ended up leaving the bathroom light on all night.) The rooms were very clean but when we arrived the toilet paper dispenser was completely empty and we had to go hunting under the counter for a new roll. And there was no soap provided so we had to hunt down the housekeeping staff to get that.

Another thing that is missing is a bar and restaurant. Both have gone out of business and it is a bit depressing to walk through a dark bar and restaurant to your room while everyone else nearby is able to sit on their front patios and enough a drink and watch the people passing by. Supposedly there are plans to reopen them soon but in the meantime, there was no offer of a room discount or a drink coupon at another property or even free coffee in the morning to compensate for the inconvenience of the lack of amenities. Come on.

The bright spot of the whole experience was Jacqueline who seemed to be the receptionist, desk clerk, concierge and go to person for everything. Check in was fast and easy (once you find the second floor reception area which is not well marked) and she was so friendly and enthusiastic. She provided recommendations for lunch and breakfast. She stored our luggage when our room wasn’t ready, called us on our cell when the room was ready, and had our luggage waiting in our room when we returned. She would rate number 1 in our book for Miami, the Marlin Hotel not so much. When we returned from our cruise we did not go back to the Marlin but instead went to The Palms, where for the same price we felt much more pampered, even if we did have to open the curtains by hand.

Room Tip: We had a room on the third floor on the interior side. Our view was a blank brick wall but it was q...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Brampton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

So before I stayed I was told I would get a free upgrade and be given so many dinner recommendations and be blown away... well it was nothing special... Studio D room is small and not all features worked on the iPad..

Person who checked me in seemed like he was lost, the shower was cool and for the same price would have stayed in a much better value place like Fountainblu or Clevlander

Sent an email on my concerns and no one responded

Room Tip: Studio B and no less
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Marlin Hotel? Share your experiences!