“The best place to stay!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Marlin Hotel to your Saves list
Marlin Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1200 Collins Ave., Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #46 of 201 hotels in Miami Beach
“The best place to stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

Its a very creative hotel, and full of warmest atmosphere! The receptionists are very kind and warmheartedness to share the information of the restaurants and attractions. Besides you use ipad to control you room, thats very cool! A very good place to stay!

124 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Greek first
St Paul Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed at the Marlin Hotel for one night before a cruise and the high tech features mentioned in previous reviews where all in place. Location is good, handy to Ocean Drive but away from the noise. And the rooms and hallways are large, lovely and modern. But sometimes clean and modern can also mean austere and impractical.

In their quest for simplicity the rooms are missing a lot of basics. There is no coffeemaker, no clock, no alarm clock, no hotel stationery and not even any Kleenex. Because they warn you not to touch the light switches, you had better be able to figure out how to use the iPad they provide you in the dark to turn on the bathroom lights at 2:00 in the morning when you are half asleep if you have to get up. (We ended up leaving the bathroom light on all night.) The rooms were very clean but when we arrived the toilet paper dispenser was completely empty and we had to go hunting under the counter for a new roll. And there was no soap provided so we had to hunt down the housekeeping staff to get that.

Another thing that is missing is a bar and restaurant. Both have gone out of business and it is a bit depressing to walk through a dark bar and restaurant to your room while everyone else nearby is able to sit on their front patios and enough a drink and watch the people passing by. Supposedly there are plans to reopen them soon but in the meantime, there was no offer of a room discount or a drink coupon at another property or even free coffee in the morning to compensate for the inconvenience of the lack of amenities. Come on.

The bright spot of the whole experience was Jacqueline who seemed to be the receptionist, desk clerk, concierge and go to person for everything. Check in was fast and easy (once you find the second floor reception area which is not well marked) and she was so friendly and enthusiastic. She provided recommendations for lunch and breakfast. She stored our luggage when our room wasn’t ready, called us on our cell when the room was ready, and had our luggage waiting in our room when we returned. She would rate number 1 in our book for Miami, the Marlin Hotel not so much. When we returned from our cruise we did not go back to the Marlin but instead went to The Palms, where for the same price we felt much more pampered, even if we did have to open the curtains by hand.

Room Tip: We had a room on the third floor on the interior side. Our view was a blank brick wall but it was q...
Brampton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

So before I stayed I was told I would get a free upgrade and be given so many dinner recommendations and be blown away... well it was nothing special... Studio D room is small and not all features worked on the iPad..

Person who checked me in seemed like he was lost, the shower was cool and for the same price would have stayed in a much better value place like Fountainblu or Clevlander

Sent an email on my concerns and no one responded

Room Tip: Studio B and no less
Miami, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Where do I begin? I have such fond memories of this hotel. In October 2012, 3 of my girlfriends and I spent a weekend here to celebrate my 25th birthday. The service is spectacular (great job, Alex!) and the rooms...oh wow. Everything is controlled with an ipad (mood lighting, tv, sound system, art piece, bathroom) and it's so clean and modern. The beds are very comfortable and the room is spacious. The hotel downstairs is great too. I will never forget how the staff bent over backwards to accomodate us for this special weekend. Thanks! Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Longmeadow, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

The Marlin is the high tech hotel of the future. But the people make the stay perfect. The person who greets you upon check in, personally takes you step by step to your room. Not just moving bags around but an overview of the room with your own iPad control center. The computer operates lights, blinds, sound, video....everything in the room. As impressive as this sounds and it is very cool, very advanced...the Marlin people are very centered on "hospitality". Alex and the gang do everything well... remember your name, remember your drink, remember your interests and point little opportunities that can make the stay in SoBe great. Want dinner? Want to dance? Want to find the local hangouts? Just ask. They'll get you there.
The front porch is one of the best people watching venues in the world. A wide open view, real furniture and drink service. You'll even see the stars of the music world as they run in and out from their recording sessions at the Marlin.
This is the physical center of the South Beach strip. You are equidistant between South Pointe Park and Lincoln road. Two blocks from the beach. Everything is walkable. Give them the car til you leave. You won't need it. It's also a lot quieter being on Collins vs Ocean ave.
Don't miss this opportunity to center yourself in style in SoBe.

Room Tip: None needed. They're all great.
Weston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I was going to be in the Beach for 3 days and read wonderful reviews about The Marlin.
It is a very lovely property. It has been extensively rehabilitated in a thoughtful and expensive manner. For example: The bathroom showers have all Grohe fixtures and Kohler Rain shower tiles in the ceiling as well as a gutter drain.These are well beyond what you will ever find in an average property and require extra plumbing and expert installation.
And the Audio visual installations in the room are remarkable. Also high end and expensive installation. Others have mentioned the iPad controller which was very cool and fun to use.
Plus I must mention and commend Douglas, the bartender. He was such a pleasant person and was a pleasure to meet and talk with. He was my favorite staff.

However, I will list why I did not give it a five star.
1. No onsite food source: Most hotels at least have an in room coffee maker. Nothing, Nada.
You must get dressed and go around the corner to the Starbucks. Their restaurant evidently closed very suddenly last week ( maybe, at least it was not open). The management could have at least popped up to the Nespresso store in the Lincoln Mall and bought a "Pixie" and made coffee or tea available in the office in the morning. That would have been most considerate of their guests. There was a refrig/and mini bar but stocked with things I did not want and of course, costly.
2. Odd lack of amenities in the room: What was there was top quality ( Bigelow) but no kleenex. You have to ask for kleenex and you receive a little box with 3 tissues in it.
No clock. Yes, the iPad gives you the time but you do have to locate it and turn it on.
No pen and pad of paper. Ok, I know that is picky but sorry, it comes in handy and most places provide them.
3. Housekeeping/maintenance: No quibble with daily maid service. It was clean and had comfy beds and great linen but the rug tiles on the floors had some pretty formidable stains on them, not a comforting sight when you first walk in a room as well as minor damage to the furniture ( chips out of the edge of a white desk) all of which makes me wonder how well this property will fare over the years. This is a relatively new renovation.
4.Noise: My first night was blissful. The room darkening drapes made for a tomb like stillness. I don't think I even turned over, I slept so soundly.
Saturday night was a different animal.
My whole room became a reverberation chamber around 11 PM. The desk person came into the room (202) and listened and as his feet were vibrating as well as all the furniture in the room he felt it was a group in the sound studio below the room. He went off to ask them to tone it down. It got better and by 1 AM I could go to sleep. At 4:36 AM precisely the whole room became one big sub-whoofer. Off to the desk again and a different clerk came in and listened and was horrified. He thought it must have been the sound stage but that was empty when he checked it so he went to the third floor and in 302 there was a large party going on. He asked them to tone it down, they did but only a little and only for a little while. They finally stopped at about 6 AM.
In the morning I spoke with the day clerk and asked if that party would be staying on Sunday night as well. Answer was yes. I asked to be moved. Not possible. He did say he told the guest that he would have to be quiet or he risked being evicted.
Not enough of an assurance for me, it would mean multiple complaints on my part and most likely another mostly sleepless night until the noise stopped or the party was evicted.

I moved next door to the Impala Hotel for my final night. I was lucky they had a room available.

I have no complaints about their staff handling of the negative event, they certainly tried.
But as a guest here you do need to realize that the uber sound system works both ways. If you have a wild party going on the floor above you, it can be a very exhausting and painful experience when all those big speakers are cranked up full bore and it is understood that South Beach is party central and you might expect this to be a possibility. Maybe just book a room on the third floor. The sound does not seem to travel to adjoining rooms.

Room Tip: request the top (3) floor
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Mt. Pleasant
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband and I had an incredible stay (although much too short) at the Marlin this past week. Alex welcomed us at check-in and gave us some great dining suggestions and a lucky parking tip! We were given our own room iPad which was the coolest thing we've ever seen at a hotel. It controlled everything from the TV to the lighting to the drapes. It even had different mood settings for the room. The room was spacious, as was the bathroom and shower. Everything was white, sleek and modern and the TV behind the mirror on the wall was awesome! Alex told us we wouldn't want to leave the room once we got in and he was right! The bed was also super comfy! The location was ideal and was within walking distance to the beaches, restaurants and great shopping. This is an awesome boutique hotel and we would love to stay here again!

Room Tip: We were in Studio B and it was a great room!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Marlin Hotel? Share your experiences!