“Best Part of my Trip to Miami - a Gem!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Impala
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1228 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #11 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Palisade, Colorado
“Best Part of my Trip to Miami - a Gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

After much research I picked an Art Deco Hotel on Ocean Drive for an ocean view for my stay in South Beach. I was short a night and picked up The Impala for a night in their newly renovated boutique hotel. A quiet gem among madness! I was on the very quiet 2nd floor and the room was gorgeous; european styling with a great bathroom and good t.v. I switched to Ocean Drive and hated it in minutes! After a horrid loud night I begged The Impala to take me back. I love this place, they are very friendly and attentive. The sweet almost hidden entrance passes by a fabulous Italian restaurant The Spiga, definitely worth your time; an entrance lined with small tables, fountain, sitting areas among lovely plantings leading to the door to The Impala opening into a charming lobby with seating, a pleasing mosaic mural and the friendly front desk, where you can leave your keys. There is no elevator but they will help you up with your bags. Stayed the 2nd time on the first floor, not quite as quiet but fine. My room again had a great comfortable bed with fine sheeting and luxurious comforter with a closet and safe with all stone flooring. The room is decorated in a very tasteful european style with a long useful desk with an expresso maker which I really enjoyed. A small fridge held bottled water with room for treats brought back from Spiga!. The bathroom is such a plus with all stone surfaces, dropped-in sink with all plumbing, fixtures and piping in stylized black patina; with good make-up mirrors and decent lighting. Big stand-in shower with a big rain shower head and auxiliary hand shower. Nice bath products offered also. Everything very clean. I felt so at home here; it was perfect for staying in or for checking out the area: so much good shopping in the area, great food, with the beach so close and with all that excitement on Ocean Drive - and the ability to get away from it!

Room Tip: 2nd floor towards the front is a bit quieter. Never heard the nightclub behind. Rooms are varying in...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
ChristelleTropina, General Manager at Hotel Impala, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Karen,

I remember you perfectly and cannot thank you enough for your review! Everything you mentioned is exactly what we strive for everyday, we could therefore not be happier when we hear or read such comments. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you on another occasion very soon! And again, thank you!

356 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I booked this hotel based on Trip Advisor reviews, and I was not sorry. We stayed pre cruise for two nights.

If you are looking for a peaceful, elegant stay in South Beach at a reasonable rate, this is for you.

The property is a beautifully renovated art deco building, a block from the beach and easy walking to everything else in the area.

Our room on the second floor, was quiet and comfortable. The bed was one of the best we have ever had in terms of comfort, and the linens were soft with great pillows. We slept so well. The room is very well appointed, with interesting art work and a large flat screen TV set.

The bathroom has everything you need, with good toiletries provided and plenty of fluffy white towels. The rain shower in the bath is fine, but the water pressure could be better. Still, it was a good sized room, and we lacked nothing in it. The only gripe I had, was that the water had a strong chlorine odour, but perhaps this is found everywhere in the area(?)

Everything is tastefully done and the room was absolutely spotless - and I am very fussy about cleanliness! I could not fault a thing. There is ample hanging space and an in - room safe.

No view, as you look directly on to another building, but that means things are quieter than looking on to the street.

Very helpful desk staff, who are friendly without being too gushy.

We ate just one breakfast at the hotel, and I would not recommend it. The choice is very limited for the price ( $10), nothing special and the day we were there, there was no fruit salad, so just tea/ coffee, croissants, butter and jam. You can do much better at one of the many nearby diners offering breakfast.

All in all, this was an excellent two night stay, and I would highly recommend this little gem to anyone who wants to get away from the big chains and enjoy a real South Beach experience. We will certainly choose it again!

Room Tip: The second floor ( Room 202) was very quiet at night.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
It is truly flattering to read such a detailed and honest review of your experience at the Impala Hotel! I have shared your kind comments about the cleanliness of the rooms with our housekeeping team and they join me to thank you. Even if the chlorine is indeed common in the area, we constantly try to improve our quality which is why we are already looking into increasing the water pressure so that your next shower experience at the Impala is nothing but perfect!
Finally, I do want to apologize about breakfast. We normally have an exquisite fruit salad freshly made daily and you should have received it with your breakfast. I will take the necessary measures to ensure this does not happen again.
I do hope you will have the opportunity to visit us again and give us the chance to surprise you with an enhanced quality of our services and amenities!
Thank you again for helping us improve!
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I stayed at the Impala mainly for business but also stayed for a weekend of leisure. This is a wonderful alternative to the larger resort/hotel properties in South Beach and the busier (more touristy and noisier) B&Bs and hotels that dot Ocean Drive. It's a great hotel to mix business with pleasure.

Location: The Impala is tucked in a relatively quiet corner on Collins Avenue which is close to many good restaurants, bars and boutiques/stores. It is a few minutes walk to the beach and the lovely art deco buildings along Ocean Drive. I agree with the previous reviewer that it is easy to miss this hotel because it is somewhat partially hidden from view behind a popular Italian restaurant called Spiga. I would recommend this hotel if you are traveling and doing business or attending meetings around South Beach because of its convenient location. However, if your business is mainly located in downtown Miami, the Impala is a good 25-30 minutes drive (depending on traffic) and cabs in Miami can be pricey, so the distance is definitely something to consider. The hotel's close proximity to the beach is definitely a plus.

The city of Miami is spread out but there are plenty of cabs around (the hotel can also call one for you) if you don't drive. A cab ride from South Beach to downtown is approximately $30 which is very pricey. However, if you stay around the South Beach area, many places (e.g. restaurants, bars, Art deco walk, etc.) are also walkable around Collins and Washington Avenues and Ocean Drive.

Staff: The Impala felt like being a guest at someone's well-appointed and welcoming home instead of the impersonal feel of a large resort/hotel. The Impala staff was friendly, professional, accommodating and helpful, and I did not encounter any issues during my stay. Check-in and check-out were efficient.

Room: I stayed at a room in the first floor which was spacious, clean, well-maintained, and decorated in tasteful Italian/mediterranean design. There is ample closet space as well. The bathroom does not have a tub but the shower is very spacious with modern fixtures. There was some noise in the late night and early morning hours with other guests coming and going but it wasn't loud and obnoxious. Overall, I slept quite well but if you are easily bothered it might be better to request a room on the upper floor.

Price: The price range per night is around $250-277 (the weekend rates are usually higher). Had I been traveling primarily on vacation, I would have opted for a hotel with a lower price range for budget reasons. I do think that my no-hassle stay was worth paying a little bit more for the night. As a business traveler, I also appreciated the free wi-fi access in the room which made it easy to work from the hotel. Valet parking is $25 per day which is also a bit steep but this seems to fall within the price range of the hotel/valet parking spaces in the area. There is a municipal/public parking space right next to the hotel/restaurant Spiga as well.

Other amenities/features: The Impala doesn't have a pool or any other amenities that hotel resort properties have but there is really no need for that as the beach is so close by. They offer a simple continental breakfast for around $10. The restaurant Spiga offers a standard menu of Italian fare. Nothing out of this world but it's a reliable and decent neighborhood restaurant with a friendly wait staff that attracts tourists as well as locals. Good wine list as well.

I would definitely recommend this place for those on holiday who are looking for an alternative to the bigger hotels and high-rises in the area as well as for those traveling on business in Miami Beach.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
ChristelleTropina, General Manager at Hotel Impala, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share so many details, this is very helpful for our other guests as well. It is important for us to know that whether you came to the Impala for business, or for pleasure, you had a good experience. Downtown is only 7 miles from our hotel so it should not take longer than 15-20 minutes but for your future trips to Miami, I would highly recommend renting a car rather than taking a taxi. It will be a much less costly option if you need to get to another part of town everyday! Even though we are located 1 block from the beach, we often hear from our business travelers that staying at the Impala makes them feel on a short vacation after an intense day at work! It is a good way to mix work and pleasure, and if you are doing business in downtown, it is the perfect excuse to experience a completely different part of the city!
Thanks again for your kind comments!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

This is a brilliant hotel to book if you value both intimacy and proximity to all the action on South Beach. If you are making a business trip, then you should probably book elsewhere only because the hotel's strengths are comfort based as opposed to maximizing your office needs. In my mind, this is desirable.

If you are taking a cab, tell them that you are going to Spiga. It's very difficult to see the Impala Hotel from the street because it is located directly behind the restaurant. Check in and enter your room. One aspect I truly loved about Impala is how the light orange, brown, and red hues created an additional layer of comfort and relaxation to the experience. You won't get that in an ordinary hotel. The beds are very high quality material and simply marvelous compared to other competitors. Your Moen shower is beautifully modern and complete with a second hose. You will find darker brown hues in your bathroom and an incredible stone sink. Basically, combine high quality materials, thoughtfully laid out design, and an air of modernity, and you have the formula for what makes Impala Hotel a worthwhile experience.

Impala isn't for someone who just wants to watch TV in their room all day. You are within two blocks of the beach. one block of La Sandwicherie, a few blocks of Cafe Charlotte and Puerto Sagua, and your hotel is attached to Spiga. For adventurous people, the World Erotic Art Museum (yes, I went) was a block from the hotel as well. All the bars and clubs on Ocean Drive are walking distance. Really, only a couple of places I went on Bay Rd. required me to take a cab. I can't stress how ideally located Impala is for the person who wants to maximize their time in South Beach.

As an added bonus, the staff is rather knowledgeable of the area and willing to help on a variety of subjects, including but not limited to dinner, parties, shopping, haircuts, and even i-phone chargers. The staff, especially Maggie and Romain, made my trip infinitely more relaxing.

The hotel can be expensive. My four night stay averaged to a cut above $300/night and it would have been nice to have spent less than that on my hotel. Then again, I do think that the quality of Impala is top end.

On my next trip to South Beach, it is unquestionable that I would book this hotel again.

Room Tip: Not the place to book for business travelers or families. It's best for 1) couples, 2) a solo t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
ChristelleTropina, General Manager at Hotel Impala, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Your review is delightful, thank you for taking the time to write such a complete, detailed and kind review about our hotel! There is no greater feeling than when a guest notices and appreciates these details that for us make all the difference! After the renovations, we indeed did our best to furnish the hotel with highest quality materials possible. Our mattresses are TempurPedic, our entire bedding is made of Lyocell (a blend of cotton and Eucalyptus that is anti bed bugs and has cooling properties) and we recently installed shower spa in all rooms as well as shower handhelds for the comfort of our most demanding guests! Maggy and Romain join me to thank you for your words, they play a big role in the success of the Impala and here again, reading comments such as yours is very rewarding for me and the entire team.
Thank you again!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

The entrance is not impressive, actually hard to find, hiding a nice and umpretentious hotel that offers good value and pleasant facilities. Do not expect a view, but the rooms are well furnished, the bathrooms are well appointed and practical. Parking is available off site. Property is incorporated with very good Italian restaurant at the front, where breakfast is served. Location is excellent for all south Miami Beach activities. Staff is friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: An excellent feature is that room floors are not covered with carpets, so there is no moldy smell fr...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Such comments are always appreciated as they help us understand your perception of our concept. In an effort to create a real intimate experience for our guests, we designed an entrance that would remind you of your own home. Discreet, charming and that resembles in no way the entrance of a large hotel. At the Impala, you are located on the most vibrant and active street of South Beach, without feeling rushed or overwhelmed by the activity of the surroundings.
Thank you for your nice feedback, we hope that the intimacy you experienced at the Impala was enjoyable!
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Impala Hotel one night before boarding our cruise ship. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the rooms clean and neat with remodeled bathrooms done in stone tile with waterfall shower heads. I can honestly say one of the most beautiful bathrroms I have seen in many years of travel. The bed was comfortable and the a/c worked nicely to keep the room comfortable while we slept. It's one block off the main drag and quiet. The hotel was quiet as well. They have a nice, small courtyard for coffee in the morning and a Zagats rated Italian restaraunt in front (which was outstanding as well). We got a very good price through a popular internet search engine of less than $100. Well worth the price. Would recommend a definate consideration to anyone traveling to the area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. We are truly happy to see that the daily efforts made by our team to offer you an intimate, clean and welcoming place in South Beach have succeeded. Being a quiet, cozy and quiet home away from home is what we strive for and reading that you experienced just that couldn't make us happier!
Thank you again, we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you home again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

A 1st rate hotel from the whole staff from restaurant to the valet but especially the front desk. very pleasant people to be around and great service.Perfect location 1 block from ocean dr. And beaches . This is my new favorite hotel on south beach and will stay here from now on.

• Stayed December 2012
Christelle T, General Manager at Hotel Impala, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
We love that we just became your new favorite hotel on SoBe! It is always nice to have a place you know you can feel at home and just be yourself. We are very happy to know that we are this place for you and be sure that I will compliment the entire staff on your behalf.
Indeed our Front Desk team is one of a kind, I can see it is a recurring compliment in every guest review and I am very proud to have such a great team. I will make sure they are recognized for they great work!
Please let us know when you would like to come see us again, we'll make sure your next stay is even better!

Been to Hotel Impala? Share your experiences!