“Lovely and relaxing stay for business and leisure” 4 of 5 stars

Impala Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1228 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #18 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York
“Lovely and relaxing stay for business and leisure”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I stayed at the Impala mainly for business but also stayed for a weekend of leisure. This is a wonderful alternative to the larger resort/hotel properties in South Beach and the busier (more touristy and noisier) B&Bs and hotels that dot Ocean Drive. It's a great hotel to mix business with pleasure.

Location: The Impala is tucked in a relatively quiet corner on Collins Avenue which is close to many good restaurants, bars and boutiques/stores. It is a few minutes walk to the beach and the lovely art deco buildings along Ocean Drive. I agree with the previous reviewer that it is easy to miss this hotel because it is somewhat partially hidden from view behind a popular Italian restaurant called Spiga. I would recommend this hotel if you are traveling and doing business or attending meetings around South Beach because of its convenient location. However, if your business is mainly located in downtown Miami, the Impala is a good 25-30 minutes drive (depending on traffic) and cabs in Miami can be pricey, so the distance is definitely something to consider. The hotel's close proximity to the beach is definitely a plus.

The city of Miami is spread out but there are plenty of cabs around (the hotel can also call one for you) if you don't drive. A cab ride from South Beach to downtown is approximately $30 which is very pricey. However, if you stay around the South Beach area, many places (e.g. restaurants, bars, Art deco walk, etc.) are also walkable around Collins and Washington Avenues and Ocean Drive.

Staff: The Impala felt like being a guest at someone's well-appointed and welcoming home instead of the impersonal feel of a large resort/hotel. The Impala staff was friendly, professional, accommodating and helpful, and I did not encounter any issues during my stay. Check-in and check-out were efficient.

Room: I stayed at a room in the first floor which was spacious, clean, well-maintained, and decorated in tasteful Italian/mediterranean design. There is ample closet space as well. The bathroom does not have a tub but the shower is very spacious with modern fixtures. There was some noise in the late night and early morning hours with other guests coming and going but it wasn't loud and obnoxious. Overall, I slept quite well but if you are easily bothered it might be better to request a room on the upper floor.

Price: The price range per night is around $250-277 (the weekend rates are usually higher). Had I been traveling primarily on vacation, I would have opted for a hotel with a lower price range for budget reasons. I do think that my no-hassle stay was worth paying a little bit more for the night. As a business traveler, I also appreciated the free wi-fi access in the room which made it easy to work from the hotel. Valet parking is $25 per day which is also a bit steep but this seems to fall within the price range of the hotel/valet parking spaces in the area. There is a municipal/public parking space right next to the hotel/restaurant Spiga as well.

Other amenities/features: The Impala doesn't have a pool or any other amenities that hotel resort properties have but there is really no need for that as the beach is so close by. They offer a simple continental breakfast for around $10. The restaurant Spiga offers a standard menu of Italian fare. Nothing out of this world but it's a reliable and decent neighborhood restaurant with a friendly wait staff that attracts tourists as well as locals. Good wine list as well.

I would definitely recommend this place for those on holiday who are looking for an alternative to the bigger hotels and high-rises in the area as well as for those traveling on business in Miami Beach.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
ChristelleTropina, General Manager at Impala Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share so many details, this is very helpful for our other guests as well. It is important for us to know that whether you came to the Impala for business, or for pleasure, you had a good experience. Downtown is only 7 miles from our hotel so it should not take longer than 15-20 minutes but for your future trips to Miami, I would highly recommend renting a car rather than taking a taxi. It will be a much less costly option if you need to get to another part of town everyday! Even though we are located 1 block from the beach, we often hear from our business travelers that staying at the Impala makes them feel on a short vacation after an intense day at work! It is a good way to mix work and pleasure, and if you are doing business in downtown, it is the perfect excuse to experience a completely different part of the city!
Thanks again for your kind comments!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

This is a brilliant hotel to book if you value both intimacy and proximity to all the action on South Beach. If you are making a business trip, then you should probably book elsewhere only because the hotel's strengths are comfort based as opposed to maximizing your office needs. In my mind, this is desirable.

If you are taking a cab, tell them that you are going to Spiga. It's very difficult to see the Impala Hotel from the street because it is located directly behind the restaurant. Check in and enter your room. One aspect I truly loved about Impala is how the light orange, brown, and red hues created an additional layer of comfort and relaxation to the experience. You won't get that in an ordinary hotel. The beds are very high quality material and simply marvelous compared to other competitors. Your Moen shower is beautifully modern and complete with a second hose. You will find darker brown hues in your bathroom and an incredible stone sink. Basically, combine high quality materials, thoughtfully laid out design, and an air of modernity, and you have the formula for what makes Impala Hotel a worthwhile experience.

Impala isn't for someone who just wants to watch TV in their room all day. You are within two blocks of the beach. one block of La Sandwicherie, a few blocks of Cafe Charlotte and Puerto Sagua, and your hotel is attached to Spiga. For adventurous people, the World Erotic Art Museum (yes, I went) was a block from the hotel as well. All the bars and clubs on Ocean Drive are walking distance. Really, only a couple of places I went on Bay Rd. required me to take a cab. I can't stress how ideally located Impala is for the person who wants to maximize their time in South Beach.

As an added bonus, the staff is rather knowledgeable of the area and willing to help on a variety of subjects, including but not limited to dinner, parties, shopping, haircuts, and even i-phone chargers. The staff, especially Maggie and Romain, made my trip infinitely more relaxing.

The hotel can be expensive. My four night stay averaged to a cut above $300/night and it would have been nice to have spent less than that on my hotel. Then again, I do think that the quality of Impala is top end.

On my next trip to South Beach, it is unquestionable that I would book this hotel again.

Room Tip: Not the place to book for business travelers or families. It's best for 1) couples, 2) a solo t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
ChristelleTropina, General Manager at Impala Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Your review is delightful, thank you for taking the time to write such a complete, detailed and kind review about our hotel! There is no greater feeling than when a guest notices and appreciates these details that for us make all the difference! After the renovations, we indeed did our best to furnish the hotel with highest quality materials possible. Our mattresses are TempurPedic, our entire bedding is made of Lyocell (a blend of cotton and Eucalyptus that is anti bed bugs and has cooling properties) and we recently installed shower spa in all rooms as well as shower handhelds for the comfort of our most demanding guests! Maggy and Romain join me to thank you for your words, they play a big role in the success of the Impala and here again, reading comments such as yours is very rewarding for me and the entire team.
Thank you again!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

The entrance is not impressive, actually hard to find, hiding a nice and umpretentious hotel that offers good value and pleasant facilities. Do not expect a view, but the rooms are well furnished, the bathrooms are well appointed and practical. Parking is available off site. Property is incorporated with very good Italian restaurant at the front, where breakfast is served. Location is excellent for all south Miami Beach activities. Staff is friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: An excellent feature is that room floors are not covered with carpets, so there is no moldy smell fr...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Such comments are always appreciated as they help us understand your perception of our concept. In an effort to create a real intimate experience for our guests, we designed an entrance that would remind you of your own home. Discreet, charming and that resembles in no way the entrance of a large hotel. At the Impala, you are located on the most vibrant and active street of South Beach, without feeling rushed or overwhelmed by the activity of the surroundings.
Thank you for your nice feedback, we hope that the intimacy you experienced at the Impala was enjoyable!
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Impala Hotel one night before boarding our cruise ship. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the rooms clean and neat with remodeled bathrooms done in stone tile with waterfall shower heads. I can honestly say one of the most beautiful bathrroms I have seen in many years of travel. The bed was comfortable and the a/c worked nicely to keep the room comfortable while we slept. It's one block off the main drag and quiet. The hotel was quiet as well. They have a nice, small courtyard for coffee in the morning and a Zagats rated Italian restaraunt in front (which was outstanding as well). We got a very good price through a popular internet search engine of less than $100. Well worth the price. Would recommend a definate consideration to anyone traveling to the area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. We are truly happy to see that the daily efforts made by our team to offer you an intimate, clean and welcoming place in South Beach have succeeded. Being a quiet, cozy and quiet home away from home is what we strive for and reading that you experienced just that couldn't make us happier!
Thank you again, we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you home again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

A 1st rate hotel from the whole staff from restaurant to the valet but especially the front desk. very pleasant people to be around and great service.Perfect location 1 block from ocean dr. And beaches . This is my new favorite hotel on south beach and will stay here from now on.

• Stayed December 2012
Christelle T, General Manager at Impala Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
We love that we just became your new favorite hotel on SoBe! It is always nice to have a place you know you can feel at home and just be yourself. We are very happy to know that we are this place for you and be sure that I will compliment the entire staff on your behalf.
Indeed our Front Desk team is one of a kind, I can see it is a recurring compliment in every guest review and I am very proud to have such a great team. I will make sure they are recognized for they great work!
Please let us know when you would like to come see us again, we'll make sure your next stay is even better!
Mainz, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Thanks to the great staff of the Impala Hotel (especially Maggie and Romain) who were absolutely wonderful in helping my wife overcome her Cold/Flu while we were there over Christmas 2012.

This 17 room hotel has an excellent location in the middle of South Beach and is very close to the beach and some great restaurants. The rooms are very clean, large, stylish and modern, and have comfortable new posturepedic mattresses and fine linen as well as a good shower and nice bathroom. Also, there were good quality soaps and shampoos not usually found in other hotels. The internet was fast and stable, and there is a nice little mediterranean courtyard by the entrance. Most rooms seem to have only sideviews to the adjacent buildings however, but that makes them a little quiter too.

We really loved it, felt quite at home here and would definitely come back to stay at the Impala Hotel on our next visit to Miami. Thanks again for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Such a nice and pleasant review! Romain and Maggy join me to thank you for sharing your good experience with them and the hotel. They are amazing and the unique customer service they are able to provide really comes from the heart.
We strive for our guests to feel at home so reading that you did is the most rewarding compliment we could ever get! So thank you and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again very soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

I chose this hotel through the good reviews on Trip Advisor. My husband and I wanted to stay two days Christmas eve and Christmas Day and made reservations a couple of days before. On our first night, my husband became ill, experiencing a lot of pain in his shoulder that needs rotator cuff repair. When we decided to leave one day early, the staff was so nice and understanding. I fully expected to have to pay for the 2 days but the wonderful lady at the front desk on Christmas Day only charged us for the one! What a wonderful Christmas present! We will definitely go back to this hotel! It was most pleasant and felt quite luxurious. I loved the little courtyard you walk through to the lobby.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words. We do our best to be flexible when it comes to unexpected events such as this one! I hope your husband is now feeling better and that you will be able to fully enjoy your next stay with us!