“Nice Hotel, Great location, Excellent staff and service” 5 of 5 stars

The Alexander All-Suite Oceanfront Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5225 Collins Ave., Miami Beach, FL 33140   |
Ranked #76 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Derby England
“Nice Hotel, Great location, Excellent staff and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

We read review[s] a few days before our stay at the hotel and were horrified at some of things we read, however, we went with an open mind but with some trepidation.
I can't comment on other peoples experience[s] but on arrival we wondered if we were in the same hotel [as some of the reviews we had read]
Valet parking was a breeze [o.k a bit steep at $26 per night, but standard for the area and cheaper than some hotels a few blocks down] the guys were polite and couldn't do enough to help. Had I wanted a conversation on world politics, then I may have had a communications problem but I didn't and their english was more than adequate to tend to my needs....The first to get my car out at the start of the day got a $2 tip which I think went into a pool anyway.
Front desk staff were amazing at check in, during my stay and at checkout. We had booked a junior suite and was put into a beautiful marble floored 2 bedroom suite [617] with fully equipped kitchen, a monster flat screen [TV] in the living area and smaller flat screen tv's in the bedrooms. The master bedroom had a huge king size bed.
We stayed 13 nights and were given a promotion that meant we only paid for 11..how cool is that? I had problems with the keycard access to the fitness centre not only was I issued with new ones but the front desk personnel came along with me just to ensure that the replacement card work correctly. On top of that, she gave me and my wife complimentary breakfast vouchers for 2 days even though we were doing our own catering. I had problems with my debit card - no problem - a few phone calls and a fax from mangement - all sorted. Check out is at 11a.m, I needed a late checkout as i wanted to go deep sea fishing -no problem we were checked out at 3 p.m - no extra cost.
Concierge services helped us out with all out enquiries, trips, maps, directions, local info et al. Special mention to Shiraz.
Housekeeping serviced our suite everyday and every night extra towels and a bed turn down service was offered [We tipped $2 daily which may have helped to "oil the wheels"]
The fitness centre and general resort facilities [pool, sauna, beach, children play area.. et al] were fine for what we needed and as we spent most of our time touring the Miami area or just chilling out in our suite I can't give any in depth comments.
The prices at the bar and restaurant seemed high, but again, is standard for the locale but as we did our own shopping and catering it was not a problem for us. But the complimentary breakfast that we had was fine and the staff were very friendly and attentive. Sure we've had cheaper $3.99 cholesterol fests up in Orlando but you wouldn't expect that in a 4star hotel would you?
My only gripe really was internet access. This was provided by a 3rd party organisation and at $0.25/min I found quite expensive as I kept daily scrutiny on credit/debit card accounts, emails and general internet browsing. I don't believe wireless was free either. However, I did find out that for a $5 month subscription, you could have 2 hour access everyday at the local library. But unles you walked or bussed it there [ at least 30 blocks], you would have to take parking costs into consideration.
The hotel was rather quiet at the beginning of our stay and we attributed this to the season, there was, however, a great deal of activity during weekends and later in the stay.

The hotel is sorrounded by other hotels so general amenities are not nearby perhaps 20 blocks north or south. There seems to be regular bus services in either direction along Collins Avenue, however, you cannot go amiss with your own transport.
All in all we had a wonderful stay in Miami, at the Alexander hotel and will definitely be back...... DO STAY THERE....you will be well looked after.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

This hotel has a nice pool and on the beach. However, the service is HORRIBLE! Luckily, I only stayed for one night ($355.00) for a deluxe suite. The valet service made me wait in my car for 15 minutes and then did not take up my luggage. After waiting 50 minutes for my room to be ready, the valet made me walk to the garage to pick up my luggage!! The staff doesn't speak English and definetely doesn't understand it either! No one was friendly or courteous. The 20% tip is automatically added to everything, so no one went out of their way to be nice. At brunch, I waited to be seated a party of 8 and was assigned 2 separate tables of 4. They could not join tables in an EMPTY restaurant. I had to join the tables myself! This hotel is rundown, old and VERY empty! I'm not surprised. This is a bad impression of luxury hotels in Miami Beach! DO NOT STAY HERE!! I'm from Miami and we have excellent hotels with very friendly and serviceable staff that will make your stay fabulous! I've had better service at Days Inn for $59!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
gibraltar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

We've just returned to Europe after 4 weeks at the Alexander, we visit a couple of times each year and it gets better, we love the pool area & lovely beach, the suites are large the one we had a 2 bed was 115sq mts with great views over the beach and to down town Miami, staff are really nice. South Beach is 5 mins by cab with the Art-deco area & busy night life

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
vvergara, General Manager at The Alexander All-Suite Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, November 4, 2010
Thank you for returning to The Alexander Hotel and for your positive review. See you on your next trip!! Please make sure you ask to see me - I would love to personally meet our repeat guests.
Old Greenwich, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

We stayed for 3 nights and had a great time. Service was excellent, rooms were clean and well maintained. Location to golf and nightlife was perfect. Nice pool and easy access to beach. Prices were a little steep for drinks and food.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

gorgeous rooms would be perfect for a family that are going to stay in and cook! pools were nice the pool bar prices were higt $20.00 for a tuna sandwich and a coke!, you had to pay for the sunbeds on the beach, which we havnt had to before, toe concierge was incredibly helpfull and staff were friendly. cost $15 to get a cab from the hotel down to the restraunts and bars of south beach, if your single/couples and going to be going out on an evening then id stay on south beach- we did last time its noisy but easier than getting cabs,

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010

- 90% of the time no towels were available at the pool. we had to wait
sometimes more than an hour to get some from the staff.
- there were no cleaning services during the day nor supervisory to
ensure the pool regulations were followed. as a result, the pool and
surrounding was at all time very dirty with empty glasses and all kind
of garbage left by some guest. furthermore, the level of water was too
low to allow the water to be filtered until we got some heavy rain a
right before the end of the stay. as a result, we stop going to the pool
- for the rest the staff is friendly for some and not for the others.
basically a big No because swimming pool is a big part of the fun and it was definitely not clean.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

The rooms at the Alexander where exceptionally beautiful! Nice and spacious and enough room to not be on top of each other. Everyone had enough space for enjoyment. The pools were pretty and the view from the window and balcony was beautiful. The staff was courteous and friendly. The furniture is part of the Art Deco era but other than that the hotel is really nice!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Been to The Alexander All-Suite Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!