“Three night stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #83 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Fleet, Hampshire
“Three night stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel via British Airways and paid a little extra for the better TA feedback, as expected the hotel delivered well.

2 twin queen rooms were booked which upon arrival turned out to be one twin and another super king, the staff quickly moved two of our party into another room.

If you are travelling from Europe all I can say is the suites are huge! We could have slept another three adults in one room (another single and bunk) or two in the other room, we missed a trick and should booked only one room and then the other two people flights only (you would have had to contact the hotel first). The kitchen was large and well spec'd you could fit someone in the fridge! Lounge was large with two big sofas.

Hotel breakfast was good, we didn't pay for it but got vouchers included apparently. Although one pool was being renovated the noise was quite loud and there was no prior warning.

Bell boys got taxis whenever needed.

If you go to the hotel bar in the evening get a hide cocktail from James!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Mariela I, Front Office Manager at The Alexander All-Suite Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Guest,
We are so happy that you enjoyed your 3 night’s getaway with us. Our staff is fully committed to exceeding your expectations and I am glad to see we were able to quickly resolve the mistake at check in. We are a unique discovery to many travelers who have not experienced us before. We offer large accommodations with the smallest unit being 900sq and accommodating up to 4 people. Breakfast is always a treat and you should try the legendary Shula steakhouse next time
We look forward to welcoming you back, on your next venture across the pond

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Derby England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

We arrived at the Alexander after an early morning start and long flight. Check in was typically efficient and all was already set with welcome letter an complimentary coupons for dining and drinks.

We had asked for a high floor suite and closer to the ocean rather than the inter coastal waters so the allocated suite 1109 was "in spec".

The configuration of the suite wasn't what we had asked for but fortunately, our Jamaican friends husband had pulled out of the holiday or there would have been a problem.

Secondly, we were so tired from the long day, we just couldn't be bothered to go back to the front desk (with luggage) to view another suite. Normally we would leave the luggage at the front desk and view the suite but having been allocated suite 1109 we were certain that the other requests would be met. I would suggest that the front desk should have some sort of information on all the configuration and contents of each suite.

Anyway, having decided to stay in the suite, we set about the more important things and pulled out the laptop, ipad and iphone and hooked up to the FREE WI-FI with the username and password supplied at the front desk. Yes, let me repeat, FREE WI-FI, a definite improvement since our last visit.

It was a nice suite overall but I was rather disappointed with the kitchen having no dishwasher (which we now expect as standard) no oven ware and limited utensils. Although no two suites are the same and most likely owned by different people, the Alexander, should, I feel insist on minimum equipment for the various suites.

The large pool is been re-designed and the fitness centre currently out of commission and though irritating was not a huge disappointment to me. There was daily noise from all the ongoing building activity which wasn't a problem as we were out most of the days anyway.

However, the Alexander could have made prospective guests aware of the on-going works and non available facilities which seems to have been the basis of some negative reviews that I recently read. As an IT guy, I know it doesn't take much to put that up on the website.

All in all, it is still a great place to stay, great staff in all departments particularly the front desk, concierge and valet guys who are so polite and attentive.

We are here again next year and I should imagine in I future years and I recommend it to all reasonable people.

Room Tip: High Floors give better views.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for a wonderful review!
I am so happy reading your comments and knowing that we were able to create another memorable experience. We definitely have some amazing people working with us and I will make sure to let them all know of the positive impression they made on you. Thank you for letting us know your suite did not have a dishwasher, indeed, our suites are all privately owned and we will enforce the needed feature.
We greatly appreciate your loyalty over the years and look forward to welcome you back home
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

We had an excellent five days get away in this place where we enjoyed everything. The staff was very kind, breakfast excellent and our suite very comfortable. We appreciated the swimming pool and the direct access to the beach. We sure will be back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
I am so pleased that you chose to stay at the Alexander and so happy to see that you enjoyed your suite accommodations, restaurant service and helpfulness of the staff so you will look no further for accommodation on your next visit to Miami
We look forward to seeing you again in the near future!
Miami, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

The hotel was great. The staff was friendly, and the location was relaxing and utterly beautiful. It was an extremely romantic little getaway of sorts for my boyfriend and I. Also the food is very tasty at Shula's - best steak.

Room Tip: Oceanfront. Oceanfront. Ocean. Front.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Mariela I, Front Office Manager at The Alexander All-Suite Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
It was such a pleasure to read your wonderful review on our beautiful property. I am happy to hear you had a wonderful getaway and hope you return as a repeated guest of ours. I am very proud of my front office team, as they constantly go above and beyond to ensure that everything is always perfect for our guests
I am very happy you enjoyed every aspect of your stay, from the beauty of our property to the delicious “still undefeated” Shula’s steak (the best beef money can buy).
We look forward to your future stays with us
bergen county nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

This hotel is lovely with its old world history and beautiful antiques scattered around. Our apartment was wonderful. Clean, good price, excellent value. We did not eat there so cannot comment on restaurant. Beach and pool are beautiful. Management was always available when needed.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
I am thrilled to hear you had a wonderful stay with us here at the Alexander and you found our historic building stepped in charm. The Alexander was built during the late 1960's by Mr. Alexander Muss and much of the decor that remains in the main areas of the building and Shula's Steak House can be attributed to his personal collection of European Antiques.
Thank you so much for such a kind review and hope you will come back as a repeated guest of ours for another spectacular experience. Don’t miss the opportunity to try the famous Shula’s steakhouse on your return.
We look forward to your next visit
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

The room we stayed in was big and appropriate for larger families but offered little in comfort.

The living area had 2 couches which were dirty and you sat on the springs. The other half of the room had a round table for dining but the table was not attached to the legs. So, we were always on the edge of having the entire top fall off. Absolutely no effort was put into making this room welcoming or comfortable. white walls, white blinds, a TV, 2 couches and a table.

I too was disappointed that the "bigger" pool was closed. I didn't know it before I checked in and I would expect a discount on the room - none received) The hotel is pretty dated.

The one redeeming quality was that the staff (check in desk, bar tender, and valet parkers) were very nice.

I wouldn't stay here again unless I wanted the space and was willing to start cooking for myself.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to express your honest review of our property. I am very pleased to hear that the Alexander team, from the front desk to the valet, made your stay pleasant, however it pains us to see you have left with such a poor impression of the maintenance of the suite you were given. Claims like yours are not handled lightly and everything you described will be taken care of immediately. Thank you for bringing this to our attention…
Our hotel is a historical property and our guests admire its’ antique beauty. We are also taking the time to renovate some areas of the property such as the lower pool as you mentioned. We still have the upper pool available and have a private access to the beach.
We hope you will return to see all the exciting changes we are making once our renovations are complete so we may show you the quality hospitality and accommodations you have come to expect from the Alexander.
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Mmmmmm lots of varying feedback about this hotel.. I'm here right now .. I can tell you first hand .. The reception although quite dated is "ok" .. The rooms however are disgustingly dirty.. The kitchen area absolute filth.. The bed was broken in our room .. The toilet keeps getting blocked.. A new swimming pool is being built.. The workmen start 8am with their drilling..
The receptionists are helpful & polite.. The valet service is great but very expensive $20 to park during day and $29 dollars to park overnight.. The hotel has a restaurant.. Overpriced & the menu just doesn't fit in with the style.. There was a wedding going on yesterday.. Why anyone would want to stay in this filthy hotel during there wedding is beyond me..
I wouldn't recommend this hotel.. There are plenty of others to choose from

Room Tip: We looked at 6 diff rooms .. All of same quality.. Filth!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Mariela I, Front Office Manager at The Alexander All-Suite Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
This was a hard one to read. I am so sorry this was your experience but thank you for your honesty and candor in describing your suite and stay. It sounds like we really missed the mark in just about every aspect of your stay and for this we apologize. Slight remark: valet parking is $15 for visitors and $26 for overnight.
If you wish to discuss your visit further with a member of our executive team, please reach out to the hotel directly.

Been to The Alexander All-Suite Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!