“Great Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #69 of 197 hotels in Miami Beach
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We have chosen the Alexander two times and have decided that it is our "go to" lodging when in Miami Beach. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, the staff is generally courteous and helpful, and the views from the balcony are fantastic. The hotel offers a quiet elegant break from the crowds and excitement of south beach when you need it and a quick path to the action, by cab or bus, when you want it. Remember that most of the suites are privately owned so the decor and appointments will vary but overall the Alexander is a GREAT value.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

649 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We booked a 2 bedroom suite at the Alexander and were looking forward to our stay. The Alexander Hotel website boasts of being "Miami Beach's most elegant all-suite hotel". We were initially given a sparsely decorated, old fashioned suite. We complained and were moved to another suite which was much better however was still not the "luxury" suite promised on the website. We pointed out to the reception staff that the photos on the website do not reflect the suites on offer. The receptionist explained that each suite is privately owned and therefore standards and furnishings vary greatly. The pool area is OK with access to the beach. The cocktail bar was dark and service was poor - a cocktail bar with no cocktail menu. My gin cocktail was undrinkable. We decided to cancel our booking and take our custom elsewhere as we felt we had been mis-sold our accommodation. On the plus side, the reception staff and concierge were polite and helpful.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Waukesha, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband, daughter and I just spend a long weekend at The Alexander. My son is studying at the University of Miami and we decided to stay on Miami Beach so he could stay with us and enjoy the pool and beach. The rooms were huge - more like an apartment than a hotel - and we had a substantial kitchen as well. The room we had could have used a little updating but it was in good shape and clean. My only complaint was that we paid to check out late on our departure day since we had a 9:30 pm flight. This message was clearly not conveyed to the housekeeping staff since they knocked on our door 3 times to ask if we were leaving so they could clean. The front desk staff was very helpful and recommended several excellent restaurants. The parking attendants were prompt and also helpful with directions. The pool area was very nice and the beach, of course, is beautiful. The bar at the beach served excellent, if slightly costly, drinks and snacks. It was a wonderful break for my entire family. We will definitely stay at The Alexander again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Doing the usual sheet check upon entering my room, I discovered that the comforter had some interesting whitish splotches, and the sheet was wrinkled on one side, with reddish-brown smears on it. And there was a piece of metallic confetti on the outer part of the mattress. It was fun trying to reach the front desk since the phone beside the bed had no indication of which button/number to use to contact them (later discovered that the different model phone in the living room does). When I finally did contact the front desk staff, they said housekeeping would be up (but not that they were sorry I had dirty linens, and I did try to be nice when I told them of the problem). After 10 minutes I called back and suggested a different room but was told to wait for housekeeping to arrive (the hotel does not appear to be anywhere near fully occupied). Since I was really tired and had lots of work to do, I considered just sleeping in the other bed when I got ready to turn in, if it turned out to be clean, but when I went to check, the air conditioning seemed to not be working in that room. The sheets were changed a bit later and a blanket was supplied, thanks to the housekeeper. For me, though, the total lack of concern from the staff - and lack of apology - along with the hassle completely cancels out the benefit of having a large room. I just needed a clean, effortless place to stay --- not here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Alexander this week while in Miami for a conference. The suite was huge and would have been inexpensive had I been sharing it with the 5 other people that it could have slept. However, my suite really needed updated. There was a sock on the floor from a previous guest; a large red smudge on the door of one of the bathrooms (don't even want to know what that was); and the decor was from a few decades ago. Unfortunately, the water wasn't even lukewarm in the shower.

The sheets and towels were clean and there was a great view from the balcony. Easy access to the beach and the pool areas were beautiful!

Front desk staff and concierge were wonderful, as well.

• Stayed October 2012
Montclair, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

When I walked into my suite I was amazed (in a good way)! Floor to ceiling windows looking out on the ocean. The terrace was huge as well. The rest of the suite was more than adequate but...it was all about the view! The property is well maintained and the pool area is qiite charming. each suite has a kitchen if you want to eat in.

Room Tip: Oceanfront if possible.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Montevideo, Uruguay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I spent three nights at the The Alexander Oceanfront Resort on Miami Beach. As we walked into the lobby, we were inspired by the beautiful wooden stair case flowing up to the 2nd level, it was
Excellent the View, the Apartment, the Decoration, the Service and the Ubication. The apartment was very large and bright, with all the necessary equipment. The attention of the service was always good. It´s important the polite atention of the concierge, who was always attentive and available to help.

Room Tip: view to the beach by the side is excellent
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Alexander All-Suite Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!