“Beautiful boutique hotel on Ocean Drive” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Tides South Beach

You added The Tides South Beach to your Saves list
The Tides South Beach
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1220 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (Formerly King & Grove Tides)   |
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #53 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
South Africa
“Beautiful boutique hotel on Ocean Drive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2010

This is by far the best hotel on Ocean Drive. Art Deco theme, sea views with amazing service. If i could have stayed longer i would have, i loved sipping cocktails on the terrace before going out to dinner. The best part of the hotel is the restaurant. It faces the beach and Ocean Drive where everyone walk past. The food i found was quite steep, and we did not enjoy the dinner we had there, but the service, location and ambiance makes up for it. It is truly a beautiful place to stay.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

We have just returned from an amazing 5 nights at the Tides - this hotel is truly exceptional! Everyone employed in the hotel - from the reception staff to the housekeeping - will make you feel like a treasured guest. Our PA Francisco Silva was amazing - he made our entire visit so simple and he thought of things we wanted before we did!
Our last visit to Tides was during our honeymoon in 2003 and we were anxious that in 2010, the hotel would have lost it's sparkle. We can confirm it's better than ever and remains our favourite hotel - if you are looking to visit Miami there is only one place to go!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
The_Tides_Hotel_Mgt, Hotel Manager at The Tides South Beach, responded to this review, April 8, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your generous praise from your recent stay with us. We treasure your comments, and have recognized Mr Francisco Silva, Personal Assistant for the personal service he afforded by anticipating your needs and exceeding your expectations.

We are honored that you have recommended us so highly. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, remain at your service. Hopefully though, we mustn't wait another seven years before we can do so again.

Steven Rauscher
Director of Food and Beverage
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

Just returned from a trip to Miami Beach. I have to commend the staff at The Tides for their amazing service. All of the hype in the previous reviews about the service is true. Everyone from the front desk staff to the bellman remembered my name and bent over backwards to be of service. Rare for most hotels indeed! The decor may not be to everyone's taste, but the rooms are large, the views nice, and very clean. Some of the upholstery has faded in the sun and some surfaces are showing wear, but this was very minor. The bathrooms, shower, and beds are fantastic.

Although I was not bothered by noise, and felt my 5th floor room had very good sound proofing, I would suggest to anyone that needs an absolutely quiet night that they not go to South Beach or stay on Ocean Drive. Try one of the hotels further north if that is your concern.

If the hotel was directly on the beach, that would be a plus, but the historic beauty and the service of this hotel is definitely worth what you give up not being directly on the beach and being in the middle of bustling Ocean Drive (unless the crowds are what you came for.)

I highly recommend The Tides.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
TheTides, General Manager at The Tides South Beach, responded to this review, March 31, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your high praise and recommendation of The Tides from your recent visit with us. We were truly pleased that we exceeded your service expectations and that our colleagues were successful in touching your heart and soul.

Rest assured that we have begun to re-upholster all sofas and this will be completed by end of April, 2010. We pride ourselves in ensuring that our appointments are in pristine condition and well maintained.

Once again, we appreciate your concurrence with all the glowing reviews on this social media and we look forward to welcoming you home soon. In in the interim, we remain at your service.

Transylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

Perfect hotel for the chill out part of your vacation, I really would recommend anyone travelling to miami beach this is the hotel that you NEED to be staying in fo sho !

Staff really very friendly and the manager was professional too the note, Food was sublime and my suite was well lets just say it was perfect in every way !

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your extremely generous and rewarding feedback from your recent stay with us.

We so appreciate learning of the perfect experience that you had from the courtesy extended by our colleagues to the quality and versatility in our culinary offering to the tastefully appointed decor and amenities.

We look forward to welcoming you home soon and in the interim, remain at your service.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2010

The Tides is an absolutely wonderful hotel and fully deserves all of the accolades it has received here. I was supposed to stay at the Loews hotel nearby as part of a conference, but thanks to Trip Advisor I saw they were in the middle of noisy renovations, so was looking to stay somewhere else nearby. Thanks to the stellar reviews here I decided to call The Tides and luckily they had a room available at a rate not too much more than the Loews. It was certainly well worth it, what a fantastic experience! The Tides is a fantastic luxury hotel with a terrific staff where your every need will be anticipated.

The designer of the recent renovation of this hotel was very smart in planning the layout because every room has an ocean view and they put the hallway in the back which overlooks the pool. The rooms I stayed in were long and thin, with a series of rooms -- a dressing room with a safe and espresso maker and a place to hang your clothes, a full marble bathroom (yes, even the floors are covered in marble) and great Moulton Brown products, and then the bedroom with a desk and chair with a good-sized flat screen TV on the wall.

Where should I start? From the moment I entered The Tides, I knew I was in good hands. Francisco welcomed me as though I were an honored guest, and Thomas was cordial and efficient at taking the bags up to my room. The room was beautiful, with a full marble floor all the way through, one of the best rooms I have ever stayed in. As promised, there was a glorious view of the ocean, just across Ocean Drive, which can get busy with traffic but that wasn't a problem. The bed was wonderful with fantastic Italian linens, so soft! I loved waking up each morning to see the sunrise over the ocean, one of things I had been hoping to see in Miami Beach.

The first night I asked Francisco for a place for dinner and he recommended Ola, which was fantastic. The staff here is terrific, everyone seemed to know me by name and they truly seemed interested in making my experience here as good as it could be.

In the morning they have juice, coffee/tea and pastries available in the lobby but I like to have a full breakfast and the food here is excellent (I loved those plump chicken apple sausages, poached eggs and the seasonal berries!). And it's fantastic to be able to have breakfast when you can look right across Ocean Drive and get a glimpse of the beach. The service was great here -- one morning I had to get to the conference quickly so I asked if I could pre-order breakfast and have it ready when I came downstairs and I was told I could. It was perfectly served by Giovanni as soon as I sat down, that was truly awesome.

Because I was here for a conference I didn't have much time to go to the beach or the pool :( but there is a beautiful private beach area reserved for guests. There is an attendant who sets up a beach chair and umbrella for you and provides you with towels, the cost is included with your stay. At least I got to enjoy the beach for a little while and dip my feet in the cool, calm waters. The pool looks wonderful and overlooks the back of the building, I would have liked to have tried it.

I thought I would stay at the Loews for a couple of nights because my conference was there, but after seeing a room I turned right around and headed straight back to The Tides for the rest of my stay. I got a slightly different room, in the middle of the 3rd floor. It was as beautiful as the first one, which was a corner room. At one point I was able to view one of the penthouse suites and it was incredible, if you can afford it, it had a whirlpool hot tub right next to the window with a fantastic view of the beach.

Nearly everything at The Tides was fantastic but there are a few things you should also know about. There is an very noisy club next door which may stay open quite late on the weekends (it's quieter on Mondays and Tuesdays, I think). They are supposed to lower their noise level after 10 but one night the loud music went on well past midnight. I was on the 2nd floor, though, I was told that there is much less noise on the higher floors. Also, one of the rooms had a shower with a glass wall which looked into the room, so if you are staying there with someone else you should be aware. The wireless Internet here is expensive and did not work well for me in the rooms and was weak even in the lobby. But I think instead they should install plug-in internet connections in the rooms, I never get hotel wireless to work well for me anyway. I would say that the hotel is not ideally suited for business because the desk chairs aren't comfortable and don't adjust, they are too low for the desk, you can't move the very heavy petrified wood tables around to place your laptop and there is no business center (it is a small hotel, though, so there may not be room for one). If you like to exercise in your room, there are only very thin zebra skins (not sure if these are real) on the hard marble floor. The little fitness room has a couple of treadmills and yoga mats, with windows overlooking Ocean Drive. I didn't have dinner there but the dining room decor is a bit odd, with turtle shells covering the walls. (I saw in another review that they are not real shells, which was a relief to me.)

To sum, up, The Tides is a fantastic place to stay, the rooms are incredible, all rooms have a view of the beach and the staff is wonderful, they treat you like an honored guest and will do their best to satisfy your every need. The food I had at the restaurant was delicious. The private beach is beautiful. It is one of the best hotels I have every stayed at and of course I would love to stay here again, I would definitely recommend it very highly!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
TheTides, General Manager at The Tides South Beach, responded to this review, March 27, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to pen your recent experience with us in such great detail...we were extremely pleased that you found us to be an oasis of calm and a sanctuary in Miami Beach.

It is truly humbling and rewarding to learn that our colleagues exceeded your expectations and I have especially recognized Mr Francisco Silva, Personal Assistant, Mr Thomas Durfe, Guest Service Agent and Mr Giovanni Torres, Server for touching your heart and soul.

Thank you for your generous compliments on our design...Kelly Wearstler, our interior designer was instrumental in all the wonderful details, textures and the glamorous palette that has become synonymous with our inspiring design.

Kindly be advised that on request, we do provide yoga mats as many guests enjoy this activity in the privacy of our spacious suites. Rest assured that we will be more than happy to accommodate our business guests with a different chair so they may work comfortably on the large hammered brass desks. We have recently added additional access points which deliver greater reliability in respect to our internet service.

I am delighted to share with you that we have been able to meet with The City of Miami Beach Planning Board and modify the ordinance so that the performances from our neighboring establishment end promptly at 10:00 pm.

Once again, thank you for the high praise of being of one of the best hotels that you have ever experienced and we are honored that you have recommended us so highly. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, remain at your service.

Worldly
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2010

Loved this place. Thanks to the staff for a lovely 4 night stay recently.
Our room on the 7th floor had great views and the staff are super nice.
Will stay again if I ever go back to Miami - and can afford it.

• Stayed December 2009
TheTides, General Manager at The Tides South Beach, responded to this review, March 16, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your fabulous feedback from your recent stay with us. It is truly humbling and most rewarding when we successfully execute on our service values. We look forward to the privilege of welcoming you back soon and in the interim, remain at your service.

Liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2010

What an amazing hotel, and I've stayed in a few so called great hotels all over the world. The hotel itself is amazing, the rooms the lobby the location. The staff are what make this place great - go see Chris in the Coral bar a lovely guy and full of knowledge about Miami and South Beach, a true gent! Lesley on the front desk and Shan the GM who emailed me before our arrival to make sure everything was sorted. What a wonderful experience, there is just nothing I can fault about this place, you where made to feel really special and it meant a lot to us on our stay - thank you team!!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
TheTides, General Manager at The Tides South Beach, responded to this review, March 8, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you kindly for the tremendous compliment and the accolade of being "Simply The Best."

We were so pleased and encouraged to learn that we touched your heart and soul and that your experience with us was amazing. I have shared your generous comments with all our colleagues and especially recognized both Chris and Lesley for going above and beyond. It is our mission to make each and every guest feel special and provide a bespoke experience and I am proud that we achieved this with you.

We look forward to welcoming you home soon and in the interim, we remain at your service.

Shan Kanagasingham

Been to The Tides South Beach? Share your experiences!