“Great service and gorgeous hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Tides South Beach

Save Saved
You added The Tides South Beach to your Saves list
The Tides South Beach
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1220 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (Formerly King & Grove Tides)   |
Special Deal
Daily Breakfast Credit
Ranked #34 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
“Great service and gorgeous hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2009

The Tides is simply a gorgeous hotel, with great customer service. Prior to our stay, I had emailed to inquire about car rentals and received prompt response. Upon check-in, we got a free upgrade to a suite and complementary martinis! The concierge brought us to the room and showed us all the details about the room. BTW, all the rooms have ocean view. We were able to see the sunrise right from the bed!

Continental breakfast is provided, takeaway style, in the lobby.....nice pastries and coffee/teas. The tea bags are not your ordinary tea bags....they're the ones with the bigger leaves. Anyway, the simple but delicious breakfast worked well for us. There is also an espresso machine in the room.

The location is excellent....right on Ocean Drive, easy walking distance to Lincoln Road, Espanola Way etc. We even walked down to Joe's Stone Crab one evening. As the wait at the restaurant was long, we got takeaway and enjoyed back in our suite, watching TV on the 42-inch plasma screen.

• 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

809 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
State College, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2009

I cannot say enough about The Tides Hotel South Beach. If you want a South Beach getaway where you are in the heart of it all, steps from the beach, amazing views of the ocean, fantastic customer service and friendly staff then The Tides Hotel is what you are looking for.

Up until now I thought that the Ritz Carlton was the best hotel but The Tides far surpasses even the best of expectations. The service begins well before your stay. They sent an email weeks prior to our arrival asking if we had any needs. Prior to our arrival and through an email with Brianna at the Tides, she established a car service to pick us up at the airport as well as a rental car for later in our stay. I never had to even check back with her, she made sure that we had what we needed.

We arrived at the hotel via the car service, where the hotel staff greeted us on the sidewalk. One person took our luggage and wisked it away while yet a second walked us into the hotel and straight past the front desk. He indicated we would be doing check-in in our room which was waiting for us. We went from the car directly to the room without stopping. While in the room we completed the check-in process in seconds during which our luggage arrived! The check-in person left the room and came back moments later with a complementary cocktail for each of us to enjoy (which I might say was wonderful).

The staff greeted us by name every time they saw us which I think is a very nice touch. The rooms are cleaned often and there is an endless supply of Voss water provided.

The pool area was very nice and again the staff at the pool was fantastic. We stayed during a colder snap in South Beach and I was cold after I got out of the 80 degree heated pool. As I sat for only a minute or so on the chair, slightly shivering, the pool attendant went on his own, got us each an extra towl and came up and unfolded one over both of us. I never had to move, they just anticipate your needs at this hotel!!!

The Tides hotel is by far the best hotel I've been too and the location cannot be matched in South Beach. You definately should give them a try as I guarentee you will go back. I know we will make it our winter getaway hotel!!!

• Liked — The service is unmatched.
  • Disliked — I have absolutely nothing negative to say. Our stay was fantastic from the moment we arrived until the moment we left!
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
adidas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2009

This hotel was amazing and the service could not have been better! The rooms are huge and were cleaned countless times a day. The concierge reccommended great dining, golfing and things to do in Miami Beach. It has the best location of all the hotels in South Beach, it is right in the middle of all the action but it was still quiet and romantic inside the property.

• Liked — The Service and location of the hotel
  • Disliked — The food was a little expensive at the hotel but that is expected, there were cheaper options very close to the property
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2008

The tides is simply one of the best luxury hotels i have been to. The design is contemporary and warm without being too minimalist. The rooms are beautifully devorated and very spacious, espacially compared to the majority of ocean drive hotels which offer tiny rooms. Service was impeccable and from arrival to checkout, the staff made us feel and pampered in a bubble of luxury without the snotty attitude you would find in most 5 stars. We will definitely come back.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2008

Our stay at the Tides was our best experience at any hotel we have stayed at. From the time we arrived, we were taken care of completely. The valet took our keys and our luggage and the front desk person took us straight to our room where we did the check-in. This was so much better than doing the check-in in the lobby specially after our long drive from the keys.
We had requested an oceanfront room on a high floor (for a better view of the water) and we were given a room on the 6th floor. The room was huge with 2 queen beds, a huge 42" flat screen TV, beautiful decor and an absolutely stunning view of south beach....
The bathroom was also of a very good size and with very good amenities.
We used the pool during our stay and even in December the water was heated to a nice 80 degree temp and very comfortable. The pool area was very nice done and looked very chic.
The hotel provides guests with free beach chairs and umbrellas and that was very convenient. And the continuous supply of free VOSS bottled water in the room and at the beach was great.
There is a $10 charge for use of wireless internet in the room and I felt that was unnecessary especially when I paid close to $400 for the room. But the front desk person let me use their laptop in the lobby for a quick 15-20 mins to check my emails. So I didn't mind not having the internet in the room.
The location is absolutely perfect...right on ocean's drive and facing the beach. we just walked everywhere - Collins ave, washington ave, lincoln road. There are a lot of restaurants on oceans drive and we would pick one everyday after reading their menus. while we were in south beach, all the restaurants were offering 50% off for dinner so that was perfect considering the high prices in south beach.
I would high;ly recommend the Tides for its location, service and immaculate rooms. Its a pricey hotel but its totally worth the price.

• Liked — Location, service, pool
  • Disliked — no free internet in room and $35 valet
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2008

I stayed at The Tides for one night in November.

Pros:
(1) Great Location. The beach is across the street. You are in the center of South Beach, so everything is a close 5 to 10 minute walk.
(2) Room Size. My Studio Suite room was 550 Square Feet. Very spacious hallway, living area and bathroom.
(3) Friendly Staff. As soon as I pulled up to the driveway, I was greeted quickly and my bags taken. Once checked in, I was given a personal tour of the hotel and its amentities.

Cons:
(1) Noise. There was a concert on the beach when I arrived. So unfortunately, I could not take a nap in the afternoon because of the noise level. But once the concert was over, the noise level was normal.
(2) The Bathroom. The bathroom offers no privacy. There is a open window that allows anyone in the room to see directly into the shower and toilet. I quess this is ok if you are alone or with a love one, but if you are staying with friends I hope you are not bashful. I wish there was some way to make the bathroom private.

In summary, great hotel but the only thing I would change would be the open bathroom.

• Liked — The location on South Beach
  • Disliked — The open/non-private bathroom.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2008

All reviews stating this is a very good hotel are correct. My wife and I have stayed in great hotels all over the world and we are used to high prices. But $21 for glass of ordinary wine is simply taking it a bit far. Still, the service is great and the location takes some beating. Take a short walk to one of the many bars and have a drink there!

• Liked — accommodation
  • Disliked — price of food and drink
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Tides South Beach? Share your experiences!