“One of the best hotels I've been to. ” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Tides South Beach

You added The Tides South Beach to your Saves list
The Tides South Beach
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1220 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (Formerly King & Grove Tides)   |
Ranked #50 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
“One of the best hotels I've been to. ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

This is our second year in a row staying at the Tides. My Mom and I came for a girls vacation last year as the result of a package deal being offered on Travelocity. We loved it so much that we returned this year!!!

This is one of the nicest, cleanest, largest hotels I've ever stayed at...and I've stayed at a lot of five star hotels. It's just top notch. Everyone is helpful and polite. The lobby area is beautiful. The room is chic and comfy. There is a walk in closet with drawers and plenty of space to hang things. There is a safe available. The King size bed is huge and sooooo comfortable. The views are amazing and I LOVE that you can actually open the window and get a real sense of everything going on outside. But at the same time, as soon as you close the window, you can barely hear anything even with all of the shenanigans still going on down below. All it takes is a sound machine, some soft music or the tv being on and you won't hear anything at all. And they have to cut everything off at a certain time anyway, so this doesn't go on all night. My Mom is a very light sleeper and we were concerned that the nightlife would bother her but it didn't at all! Additionally, the blinds they have darken the room so the lights aren't bothersome, either!

The housekeeping crew will get you absolutely anything you need. They do an excellent job on the room. When we first walked in after check in, our room smelled of bleach which is such an awesome, clean scent to me! They provided extra towels upon request. They have a turn down service. They mop the tile floor every day. They were excellent.

We arrived an hour before check in time but were still able to get into our room right away. Mike brought our bags up for us immediately and told us a little bit about their accommodations. We were given a ticket for 2 complimentary signature drinks which could be used at any time during our stay. We used them on our last night and chatted with the bartender for a while who was super friendly and provided excellent service. We actually intended on going outside with our drinks but we enjoyed him so much that we stayed.

You get chairs, chair sheets, an umbrella and towels every day when you go to the beach. You just give your name and room number and the Boucher Brothers do the rest of the work and set everything up for you which is awesome! Please tip these young men! We saw so many people not tipping and felt awful. It is HOT out there and they are busting their hump for hours dragging chairs and canopies back and forth...show them some love. They earn it.

We love the location of the Tides on Ocean Drive. It's in a great spot. The decor, both inside and out, is so classy and beautiful. It is next to the Palace which for me, is a HUGE plus because I love watching their shows every night!

We also like the security of the elevator/hotel. When you get on in the lobby, you have to put you room key in before it will move. This ensures that no random people are wandering the halls.

This year our shower did leak. I had read reviews about that last year and it didn't happen but this year it definitely did. I'm not talking a little leak, either. It's kind of a half shower door so the water squirts out somehow. It's definitely a design flaw. There's nothing you can do about it and it won't really be a problem for you since you aren't the one cleaning it. It's unfortunate but like I said, there's nothing you can really do. Other than the leaking, the shower is gorgeous! Great lighting, a ledge that makes shaving super easy. Excellent water pressure. There's a shaving mirror inside for men. And they provide C.O. Bigelow toiletries which I really enjoyed. I usually hate showering in any shower other than my own but I LOVED taking showers in here after a long day at the beach. Again, so relaxing. And they have two robes in each room so after you're finished, you can get cozy and relax.

If I had to say one negative thing about the hotel it would be about the food. It's just not good. And not fresh. That's the one thing I think they need to improve on. They have beautiful seating inside and outside and I think they would have so many more guests for breakfast, lunch and dinner if the food was actually good. I will say the orange juice was so fresh that it tasted like I stuck a straw into an orange and started sucking. The Belgian waffles were just ok. The turkey bacon was just ok. My mom liked the French toast. Last year we had the hash browns and they were awful so we avoided them this year. Last year we also tried the fried calamari and pizza and they both tasted totally frozen and awful so we didn't bother with trying any other meals here other than breakfast one day. The server we had was very nice but service is very slow. I remember it being slow last year as well.

All in all, this is a gorgeous hotel that I would HIGHLY recommend. My Mom and I even talked about making this an annual girls trip because we love it so much. It's just so comfortable and relaxing and CLEAN and the service provided is top notch. The kind of place you go to where you can REALLY relax.

Thanks to the Tides for another awesome, relaxing a girls vaca with my Mom!

Stayed August 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

A truly terrible night. It is midnight, we have a 10 year old and there is a full scale party going on in the bar next door. Unbelievably loud music has kept us awake and apparently it is a nightly occurrence. They don't make you aware of this on their website. We have cancelled the rest of our stay here and are really disappointed.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Lutry, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

The first time we stayed at this hotel which has one of the best locations on South Beach was with my family in 2011. This time we went on our own, as a couple. We had a wonderful room on the 8th floor, but it was not as we would have like a corner room. So we asked, but we were told that the room was taken – which did not appear to us as it was. Anyhow, the room we had was nice, everything had been renovated fairly recently and it was very clean. What did not fit at all is that on the floor there was the fur of a cow which we remember from our stay in 2011. Not only that it looked more then used, the borders of the skin turned up which caused especially my wife to stumble over it – certainly a big minus for such a room.
What we missed as well is that the coffee in the room was not complimentary and that the hotel had, after changing ownership, skipped the morning take-away coffee and small bites that they used to offer 3 years ago. It was just great to take your coffee very early in the morning and have a nice beach-walk. We missed this.
Breakfast was included in our booking and even though it was more than sufficient, the orange juice was out of a box and not freshly pressed, you had the feeling that the waiters fought to serve us on one hand, but lacked strongly in a real good service. At one point I ordered eggs with ham and blueberry-pancakes, both came at the same time. For a hotel of this class, far from standard.
Last but not least, even though there were enough people to serve you, you always somehow had the feeling that you were not really welcome. Also the restaurant in the evening had changed drastically from a hotel of this standard to canvassing by-passers to take a seat at one of the tables. Unfortunately the prices of the restaurant caused many to just get up again and leave. I would not hesitate in saying that it is one of the most expensive ones on Ocean Drive.

I also usually do give an extra tip, even when, as it was the case here, there was already a hefty charge directly on the bill. But I was not really inclined in doing so this time (at least not on all occassions)
Overall we did have a pleasant stay, but the hotel is far from what it once was.

Room Tip: Take a room on the upper floors i.e. from the 6th floor up...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

We checked in at around 9am on a Thursday night. There is seating on the pavement for people wishing to dine alfresco and we had to walk with our cases through the diners and up the stairs to the hotel. Check in was quick and efficient with no airs and graces. The room was a little tired but very comfortable and roomy. The staff at the hotel were friendly enough but in a stepford wife sort of way.In many cases the lights were on but no one was home!!. A good tip for dining is not to eat at the hotel but use the 11th Street Diner around the corner. Much better value and great fun. Evening dining can be done on Collins Ave, Washington Ave or Lincoln Rd all offering great restaurants. The restaurants on ocean Drive are all clones of each other serving the same menu's at extortionate rates. Swimming pool at the hotel is again a little tired but very Art Deco and again very comfortable. The bar and foyer are a delight for any Art Deco lovers but let down by the staff and poor service. By the way all drinks and food include a service even though I had to get my own drinks on occasions. All in all I would stay here again but I would be a lot more demanding of the staff.

Room Tip: Take a room on the higher floors and the lower rooms are very noisy.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

We have been to south beach many times for a day out but never stayed overnight. Have always thought the tides was the most beautifully designed art deco building on ocean drive but had never been beyond the ground floor interior, which is most impressive. After reading reviews decided to book 3 nights despite warning of noise.
Our stay far exceeded our expectations.....friendly, helpful staff, beautifully appointed room, and spotlessly clean.
We were on 2nd floor and not at all noisy. We had a fabulous stay albeit too short.
We will look forward to our next holiday at The Tides. Thank you to all the staff.

• Stayed July 2014
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

Myself and my husband stayed here on honeymoon in January 2014. The location is perfect, right on South Beach and the room was really big and lovely and clean. We had a view right out onto the beach which was brilliant.

The pool area was nice although the view from the pool is awful and we were unfortunate enough to be at the pool when the bins were being collected below and the smell was not great.

The valet parking was expensive ($35 per night) although this is to be expected in South Beach so we were not put off by that at all. Also the water provided in the room is also expensive but again to be expected as you are staying in the middle of South Beach.

We had dinner in the restaurant one night and it was great. We both had steaks and they were really nice and worth paying that little bit extra. The decor of the lobby and the bar/restaurant is great.

All in all if we ever go back to Miami we will try and stay here again, finances permitting.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

My partner and I went to this hotel for a short getaway weekend to celebrate my birthday. The staff was very friendly and very helpful. We walked around and saw that they take very good care of the hotel and the grounds. What a gorgeous room. Thank you for my champagne and fruits. Thank you also to David Mills for all your help. You where "on point" about this hotel! You are a true asset to this hotel! Until Next Time Tides!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple