“one star for the service.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Tides South Beach

You added The Tides South Beach to your Saves list
The Tides South Beach
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1220 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (Formerly King & Grove Tides)   |
Ranked #56 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York City, New York
“one star for the service.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

wow! if this is a 5 star hotel then I'm Donald Trump! The pictures look nothing like the rooms. The furniture and decorations in the pictures are NOT in the room... maybe in 2010. This hotel is run down!! I don't know how they get away with it! Not to mention the LOUD music... Book this hotel and you will be sorry you did.... I guarantee you will get on your computer within the first hour and write a review exactly like mine!

Room Tip: DO NOT stay here!!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Tides at the end of august and had a wonderful time.
Spacious rooms with breathtaking views
Amazing lunch ( try the roasted chicken) with attentive waiter (isaias)

Will definetely return!

• Stayed August 2013
Tides-Management, General Manager at The Tides South Beach, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thank you so much for your comment. We are thrilled you had a nice stay and enjoyed the hotel. We will make sure to pass on the positive feedback to Isaias! Please come and stay with us again very soon!
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

The hotel was beautiful and great location next to the beach. However the hotel has a DJ playing very loud music on the front patio from about noon to 10:30 pm. Also, there is a bar next door that has entertainment outside with loud music and large crowds, so it was impossible to sleep. The hotel provided ear plugs which helped.

Room Tip: Try and get a room as high as possible, but with only 10 floors and all rooms facing the patio, you...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comment. We are very sorry that you had a difficult time with the noise. It is a very difficult challenge trying to provide a quiet environment for our guests while being located in the heart of action-packed Ocean Drive; however, we are constantly working to find solutions to make all guests happy and comfortable.
Newport, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel over Labor Day weekend 2013 in the Amber Suite. The reservation process went smoothly. I booked online but then due to some travel plan changes called the hotel to switch some dates around. They were extrememly helpful in helping me, being accomdating, and explaining the changes in price. Upon arrival check in was fast and efficient. I arrived early at 1pm but my room was ready and my luggage was very quickly taken to my room. There were free welcome drinks and complementary sparkling wine and chocolate covered strawberries. Lori at the front desk greated me by name every time I walked by. She was absolutely amazing.

The best part of the room was the amazing bathroom that overlooked the beach. The tub was comfy and the separate glass shower were both big enough for two and had the best ocean view of any hotel that I have stayed in in the US.

The food is good but a bit pricey. Some people complained about the noise. I thought it was Ok on the 9th floor and I slept great with the windows closed. For those who complained about it, it is South Beach and noise from the awesome night life is expected. I never used the pool because it was tiny and ticked away but it's Miami Beach so I mich rather go to the beach anyway. Housekeeping was great. They cleaned our room twice a day.

I would recommend this hotel based on outstanding quality and location. You can walk to everything in South Beach! This trip was a splurge for my husband and I so we went all out for the suite. We would definitely come back on a regular vacation stay in one of the regular rooms.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you so much for your comment and for taking the time to share your experience! We are thrilled you had an outstanding vacation! We will make sure the positive feedback is passed on to Nori. Please come back and stay with us very soon!
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

It's the Fourth time we stay at the the Tides from 08/12/13 to 08/19/13
We saw the difference after it has been sale to King and Grove 2 years ago Less of service, no welcome drinks, no free espresso in room, no one at the door etc...
This year they transform the terrace outside like the others, a cheap ocean drive restaurant
Before, they use to have big couches , we loved to have a drink, grab a appetizer we loved to have lunch every day. This year we stayed 10 days we just eat once the first day, we never returned , bad food, no service ! The french Manager never said hello to us during our 10 days stay ( we speak the same language) When you see him, you know that he can't run a classy/ trendy restaurant. He made of this place a poor place!
About the Service with other guest we wait like 45' for covers and towels at the pool
after several calls the guy just came with 3 towels with no cover.
We asked for something to eat we are still waiting.
Conclusion: no management in this hotel and it is not as classy then before!!!
Good thing: people nat the front desk are pros and very helpful.
Sorry about my poor english but i want that this review can be read by everybody
We will never go back! OK they have nice room but a hotel it's not only that
Régis Pierre

Room Tip: 7th or 8th floor
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Mr. Pierre, thank you for your comment and for sharing your experience. We are terribly sorry that you had such a bad experience and want you to know that we take these comments very seriously. I will be looking into each service breakdown you experienced and all will be addressed thoroughly. We still provide a welcome drink and have actually updated/changed the drink per guest feedback. I will find out why you were not served one of our new drinks at check-in. We also have a new restaurant manager since your stay and he is wonderful with the guests; we are delighted to have him on the team and know he will make a strong impact on service levels. I hope we have your contact information as we will be sending you a complimentary stay. We hope you will change your mind and give us another chance to prove we are still an excellent hotel.
Winnipeg, Manitoba
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

After reading a few of the other reviews, I feel as though the first thing to address is the noise. I stayed in a room on the 6th floor, and yes, I could hear music from the street below, and from the gay club next door at night. However, it wasn't (in my opinion) an unreasonable level of sound. My bed wasn't moving around, and I was able to sleep without trouble. The bed is set quite far back from the window, and I went into the experience knowing that I would be a) staying on South Beach's party street and b) staying there on a weekend. You don't go to New York and expect to hear birdsongs-- you hear traffic! To me, South Beach/Ocean Drive is much the same; if you want to be in the heart of the action, you're probably going to hear some of that action. There are hotels that are quieter, but they're a few blocks from the main drag.

So, noise aside, how was the rest of it? For the most part, great. The room is massive, and the view of the Ocean is gorgeous. There was plenty of space for luggage, lounging, and so on. At a glance the room and decor is quite beautiful, but up close I noticed that the rooms are getting a tiny bit worn. Nothing major, but might be time for a bit of a refresh.

The food was my least favorite aspect of the experience. We ordered a chicken sandwich and guacamole with chips as a snack to share among two. The guacamole was pretty good, as were the fries that came with the sandwich, but the sandwich itself was pretty greasy. I suppose I expected something a little better, given the beauty of the hotel and the higher star rating. Prices were decent, but when the food is only so-so, it makes the price seem less reasonable.

The bell staff and front desk agents were the highlight of the experience for me. They remembered my name after the first meeting, were always very friendly and warm without being over the top. They took care of requests seamlessly.

All in all, a good experience!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Tides-Management, General Manager at The Tides South Beach, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you so very for your comment. We take the feedback of our guests very seriously and appreciated the time taken to share this feedback with us. We pleased that you had a nice experience at the Tides South Beach. We are taking steps to address the existing wear and tear in the guest rooms as well as the quality of food in the restaurant. We hope you will come back and see us again soon!
Miami
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Fine if you want somewhere to clean up. Nice hotel and staff. Mykonos volume music from the hotel's own sound system from 12 till 12. Even louder music from the gay bar next door till 3. They get the noise enforcement teams round almost daily but the bar just pays the fine and carries on. Slept on the bathroom floor.

Great for stag / bachelorette weekends.

Room Tip: If you have no other choice but to stay here, stay no lower than 9th/ 10th floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
We are very sorry to hear about your experience and the disturbance from the music in our restaurant and next door. We are constantly doing everything we can to enforce the noise ordinance, as our goal is minimal to no disruption to our guests. This is a battle we will continue to fight with our local authorities.

Been to The Tides South Beach? Share your experiences!