“A bit let down” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Tides South Beach

Save Saved
You added The Tides South Beach to your Saves list
The Tides South Beach
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1220 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (Formerly King & Grove Tides)   |
Ranked #44 of 200 Hotels in Miami Beach
sussex
“A bit let down”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We decided on the Tides Hotel after a lot of research - we were coming to SoBe to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday. The location & the fact that all rooms had a sea view sold it to us & the positive reviews sealed the deal. On arrival we drove up - no one attempted to greet us - we had to go inside to let them know we had arrived despite there being staff out front. On entering the reception area we were greeted by the sound of heavy drilling & construction, they were refurbishing the restaurant & bar - I found this most annoying, at no point during the booking process (we booked directly with them) were we advised that this would be happening during our stay, in fact I had e-mailed the hotel prior to our arrival & asked for restaurant suggestions for my husband's birthday & the top recommendation was their in house restaurant!! There was little in the way of an apology about the situation we were just told that they had put us on a higher floor so would not be disturbed by the construction noise. On entering the room we were initially happy - nice decor, spacious & fantastic views but then you get down to practicalities. I went to dry my hair (major operation) - but there is no dresser with a mirror above, no usable plug next to the desk, no stool or chair in the bathroom & a hair dryer with the shortest cord ever. I ended up having to sit on the floor next to the full length mirror, to top it off I went to turn on the floor lamp for extra light & found it to be in a dangerous state with the fitting hanging loose. I reported this to a receptionist on the way out but it remained this way until the following afternoon when my husband looked at it and managed to sort it out. Next annoyance were the bedside lights, whilst they are attractive & in keeping with the room decor they are utterly infuriating as they are so tall that you can't turn them off unless you get out of bed - even my husband who is 6'3" couldn't reach them from bed. On the second night, two out of three of our bathroom lights were not working, this was fixed by the next day however. Have to say though that the beds & bedding were amazingly comfy.
The coffee & pastries provided at breakfast were a nice touch - however the in room coffee machine advertised sounds great but they don't mention that you have to pay $2 per nespresso pod!! We had breakfast on the terrace one morning which was great for people watching - but we had to put up with hearing every passer by being being asked if they wanted to come in for breakfast, not very becoming for a hotel thats trying to be a bit classier than others in the area.
I agree with previous reviewer about the lack of pool service - again such an easily fixed problem, they seem to have plenty of staff out front - a regular patrol of the pool area just seems common sense.We would have definitely ordered a cocktail if someone had bothered to ask. Overall I found the service we received was indifferent.
We really enjoyed our stay in SoBe - we had a chance to have a good look at other hotels in the area & believe that the Tides was still the best choice for us but it didn't really live up to our high expectations & feel that they could do so much better.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Nice to know you can find an historic art deco hotel right on South Beach with large, pleasant rooms. Pool area nice. The staff was friendly and helpful- from check in staff, to bell staff, to waiter/waitresses. Great food too. The complimentary "Miami royale" upon check in really set the mood. Outside music, etc settled down plenty early to sleep (well, it was NOT the weekend). I'd stay here again and again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Mathew P, General Manager at The Tides South Beach, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
thank you for sharing your recent experience at Tides.

very nice to hear you enjoyed the room accommodations, the pool area, had tasty food and the staff was attentive, friendly and helpful.

looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

sincerely,

London,England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a week. It was a $32 cab ride (fixed fee) from MIA and it was especially nice to be greeted with a "hello, mr ...."as I exited the cab. The check-in was easy and I was escorted to the room. The room was great, 5th floor, 502 I think, seperate walk in wardrobe, nice bathroom ( although the toilet wasn't very private ), great size, very comfy bed and fab view over the beach. The pool is small and there is no pool "scene", but this isn't that type of hotel, but I liked the pool area. Ocean Drive is a great location, close to the action, Lincoln Road is about a 15minute walk. The free pastries and coffee are a nice touch, I was up early one day and had them nice and warm, don't think they last very long though. The Palace Bar next door is a lively gay bar but the music stops at about 11pm, so it really doesn't interfere with sleep. I thought the staff were very professional and helpful. We ate at lots of places, Yardbird and Fogo were the best of them, I would say comparable to London prices. All in, a really great stay, would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for the gracious feedback on your recent stay at Tides.

Very nice to hear that you enjoyed the hotel, the service, its location and its amenities.

Hope to see you back with us soon.

Regards,

Mathew Pargament
Towson, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

My trip,was a combo of business and pleasure.hotel ,staff and location really worked for me.the best! One suggestion.may need earplugs in evening if you are trying to relax.Beach setup was great and enjoyed tranquil pool area.use valet park as it is great.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Mathew P, General Manager at The Tides South Beach, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your recent trip to King & Grove Tides.

It is very nice to hear about your wonderful experience regarding the attentive staff, location and beach set up. Our apologies for the excessive noises generated by our neighbors. We are working daily with our neighbors to heighten their sensitivity to our guests, sorry for the disturbance.

Hope to see you back with us soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

. I would like to say that I scheduled my visit through Travelocity on March 2013 instead of February 2013 And did not realize it until I got to the airport on February 4, 2013. I bought new flights on the outside chance I would still be able to stay at the hotel. When I arrived at the hotel unannounced Jessica Winer the hotel manager was more than gracious and accommodating me booking the room. The waitstaff is fantastic, could not be more accommodating and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I highly recommend this facility to anyone who is looking to stay in South Beach. A plus.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for your gracious comments on your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to hear that Jessica was able to accommodate you and that you enjoyed your stay.

Looking forward to your next visit.

Oklahoma City, OK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We had a nice stay at The Tides. I think the small things do make a difference. First, food and bar service is very hard to come by. Bell boys, front desk people and waiters all seem to blend together. We sat for 20 minutes and no one took our order for breakfast so we left. No service at the pool either. Rooms are great. They are huge and I love that the windows open. Bed was comfy and room was very clean. Some people complain that the pool is too small but I thought it was lovely. If you are elderly or have small children, the bath tub is insane to get in and out of. The noise level at night is pretty high but it shuts off like a switch around 11:00. The music actually put me to sleep but might be harder on other people. Kudos to two of the bell boys (Michael and one other) who were so helpful and offered up tons of recommendations. Also a runner's paradise, as this is a central locatiOverall we enjoyed it but might opt for the Ritz down the street for better service and a quieter location.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your authentic and gracious feedback on your recent visit to King & Grove Tides.

I am sorry to hear about the lack of attentiveness with the food & beveage service at the restaurant and pool. We have recently reviewed and modified our staffing schedules to support the service levels one would expect, sorry your experience was not engaging.

I am glad you enjoyed the spacious accommodations and the privacy of the pool, and the attentive service provided by michael and the bell persons.

Hope to see you back with us in the future.

Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Had a one night stay coming back into the states from the carribean and was pleasantly surprised. It is about a $35 cab ride from the aiport, but I wanted to be on the beach and on Ocean Drive. Perfect location. Had enough time to get some shopping in the next day before my flight home, staff was nice enough to hold our bags and make sure the cab was on time for our flight. The room was huge & looked a lot better in person than the pics I found on hotels & booking. Didn't try the food as there are plenty of places along the drive to try out. The only thing I can recommend to this hotel is that the wifi be included & breakfast included then I would give it a true 5 star rating.

Room Tip: Ocean facing rooms have small windows but I love the ocean so its worth it.